1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to buy a Toyota ExtraCare Platinum Extended Warranty?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by btanchors, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Feb 16, 2017 at 8:16 AM
    btanchors

btanchors [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Herndon, VA
    I have dealt with Jerry Johnson several times and have purchased at least two extended warranties that I recall. I attempted to use him a third time about 3 years ago, and that is when I was told he cannot sell these warranties to people out of state anymore.

Based on what I have learned here, it no longer sounds like this "out of state" description is valid - and since I have worked with Jerry before, I would like to contact him.

What I find interesting in the above thread is that 9 and 10 year warranty terms are mentioned. The Toyota Financial Services website only shows the Platinum warranty goes out to 8 years, so I'm wondering if this is a newer warranty product and they haven't updated their website yet.

Thanks OCNutty for this information!

2. Feb 16, 2017 at 8:48 AM
    btanchors

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Herndon, VA
    OK, while looking into this further, I found this article: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...NCE/306199995/toyota-limits-online-warranties
    So if the article is to be believed it was true at some point that Toyota Financial Services DID limit the ability to sell these extended warranties out of state.

So my question now is, what has changed, and why? I would like to understand a bit more about what's going on behind the scenes. I'd hate to spend that kind of money only to find out the warranty I paid for is not valid.

3. Feb 16, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    btanchors

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Herndon, VA
    I spoke to Jerry Johnson this afternoon.

He IS able to sell me an extended warranty, even though I am out of state. I still do not fully understand why this is possible, given the article I have posted above. I have not found anything confirming the above article was indeed the "official" policy of Toyota Financial Services (TFS), nor have I found anything indicating there has been a change to that policy, assuming it was valid in the first place.

Having said that, I have bought two, possibly three warranties from him, and have successfully used those warranties on past vehicles without any problem, so I do have a certain comfort level purchasing from him.

Now, on to another bit of interesting news. The 9 and 10 year offerings are new offerings from TFS, according to Jerry. He indicated they started offering these in September of 2016. I just looked at the TFS website, and they still only list the 8 year, 125K warranty as the longest term.

4. Feb 16, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin
    Pair of collapsed leaf springs, all new hardware, two new u-joints, motor mounts, trans mount, harmonic balancer, Transfer case, labor, and rentals for the time in shop.

shakerhood likes this.
  5. Feb 17, 2017 at 8:53 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Regarding the legitimacy of toyota VSA, remember that it thru Toyota Financial Services; once they accept your payment and you get the booklet in about a month, it's a Contract agreed to by big Toyota (TFS also does Lexus VSA's). Dealer just verifies the fix with toyota and gets approval for go ahead. OBTW IF TFS disagreed with the selling agent, it would be rejected and your payment returned.
    Never had a problem getting a VSA claim paid. On 07 highlander, an O2 sensor went out at 7 years; That was a 650 fix at retail which paid the warranty in one shot.
    As usual, YMMV.
    Don't see a point in getting too involved trying to figure out Toyota policies/changes on these; if Jerry sez he can get it done, it prob. good as gold.

6. Feb 17, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin
    Is there a way to bump to the 10yr 120k from the 7yr 120k well after the purchase of the vehicle?

Since working at home 4 days a week I am only driving 22mi/with now.

7. Feb 17, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    btanchors

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Herndon, VA
    Thanks OCNutty, great post. I guess my concern (and hence, my interest) in understanding Toyota's official policy is that if a dealer sells me a VSA out of state, against the "rules" of Toyota Financial Services, my fear is they could revoke my policy, issue a refund, and tell me I'm out of luck. If that were to happen outside the 3 year 36K mile period, I would be out of luck as far as getting another policy is concerned.

I like the Platinum policies - and I agree, the couple of times I have had to actually use it were great - no problems at all. I hate to pay greatly inflated prices for these at the selling dealer, but at the same time, I don't want to risk getting a policy that could be revoked later.

8. Apr 1, 2017 at 8:51 PM
    Jwebb94

Jwebb94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    nh
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma sr access cab 4x4 5 speed manual
    window tint, tacoma lettering, fish eyes, tri fold
    i know this was a while back... but! at same dealer i got same warranty but a 9 year 100k mile for 1500.. seems like i may be in same boat as you? hmmm...

9. Apr 2, 2017 at 7:08 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Go back and get a refund or get it discounted. Did the finance guy it girl give you the same lane story. That they were going to hook you up with their cost?

Jwebb94[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 2, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    Jwebb94

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    nh
    Vehicle:
    Yes.... The we don't do this often

11. Apr 2, 2017 at 7:30 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    I went right on the site, and clicked on the tab that said Tell Ernie or something like that Got an email within 2 hours from the General Manager saying he should not have lied like that, and we will give you a check for 550.00

12. Apr 2, 2017 at 7:35 AM
    Jwebb94

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    nh
    Vehicle:
    Awesome thank you! How do I prove that 1500 is over priced??

13. Apr 2, 2017 at 7:38 AM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    This^^^^^i used to work for GEICO and would love it when my clients would call from the stealership and i would give the details of mech breakdown...i had sales people take the phone feom cust and hang up on me because of this..

VA SOFTACO likes this.
  14. Apr 2, 2017 at 7:39 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    Do what I did and say you called other dealerships and got like quoted from 950.00 to 1100.00 and you either want a partial refund it it all refunded. Call around and call dealers bluffs, if it a new car you have up until the standard 36,000 mile warranty to expire to get one

Jwebb94 likes this.
  15. Apr 2, 2017 at 7:44 AM
    Jwebb94

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    nh
    Vehicle:
    Awesome will call around today!

16. Apr 2, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod

Look into USAA coverage ... Toyota wanted $2850 for 5 year coverage with $100 deductible per claim ... USAA ... $1600 "bumper-to-bumper" w/zero deductible ... one major issue will pay for it.

Jwebb94 and brny67 like this.
  17. Apr 2, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    Jwebb94

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    nh
    Vehicle:
    ussa is my insurance company also, and really?? is this just there insurgence or something you add?

18. Apr 2, 2017 at 7:55 PM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    Should be something you add.

TRDSport10 likes this.
  19. Apr 5, 2017 at 6:35 AM
    btanchors

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Herndon, VA
    Here's another datapoint.

Just bought a new 2017 Tundra Limited 4x4 last week. I knew I wanted the 10 year 125K mile zero deductible Toyota Platinum extended warranty.

I got two quotes online, one from Jerry Johnson on this warranty before I went to buy the vehicle.

The first quote from the dealer for this identical warranty was $3,750!!!!!

I laughed at them, and told them we were so far apart on this price, that it wasn't even worth talking further about it.

They asked me out of curiosity how much I was getting it for.

I took Jerry Johnson's price, ROUNDING IT DOWN so that it was about $82 below Jerry's price, and they matched it!

They were asking me lots of questions, asking me if it was from another dealer in the same region.

This is the FIRST TIME a TOYOTA dealer has been willing to match Jerry's price (in this case, I got it a little below!). In past times, they simply say they can't get close to that price, so I purchase the warranty from Jerry.

Since getting it from the dealer meant I could roll the cost into the loan amount, I got it from the dealer.

This experience shows how HUGE the markup is on these extended warranties.

FYI - the dealer also confessed that they get "kickbacks" from Toyota on these warranties. So, even if a dealer sells it to you at his cost, they still get something like $100 back from Toyota for each one of these warranties they sell.

20. Apr 5, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    Hoyle

Hoyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cookeville TN.
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 Black
    A lot of stuff.
    SoooOOOoo... what was Jerry's price?

tomwil likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top