1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to clean engine

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacoma driver99, May 28, 2011.

1. Feb 20, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    Eugene.tee

Eugene.tee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner V6 SR5
    Do you cover anything when you wash it, like air filter, wires, ect. or do you just try not to get them wet

2. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:16 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    I cover my air filter and the alternator when I clean my engine bays. Just throw a plastic bag over them.

3. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:56 PM
    paquu

paquu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    02 doublecab fj trm rims, roof led bar
    42" LED bar
    Cover the alternator, cover the ABS module, cover belts/pulleys, and remove battery to be safe. Any exposed electronics that aren't in wire loom near connectors (like MAF sensor), should be covered. Doesn't have to be fancy, plastic bags, elastic bands and some saran wrap will work.

I didn't cover my ABS module when I cleaned my engine bay, I have an ABS light now and I think the water may have damaged the unit. Expensive part to replace, take a second to wrap the stuff.

4. Feb 20, 2015 at 9:52 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    X2. And the engine shine too. Used a soft bristle brush on everything, even the hood with degreaser. Then power wash. I put a grocery bag over my alt though. Then let drip dry, run engine for a bit, cool off again and spray the shine all over, bristle brush that in, then wipe it all down with a clean rag. Looks like a brand new engine bay afterwards.

5. Feb 21, 2015 at 7:20 AM
    Willbeck

Willbeck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    00 Reg Cab 4x4
    Bug deflector
    I've never covered anything. Get everything wet with a gentle mis or shower of water. Spray diluted simple green all over, scrub the hard stuff, and rinse well.

Simple green is biodegradable, and non toxic. Also, I've never covered alternators etc. just don't powerwash the fuse block, and be aware of where you're spraying. Just take a peep in the distributor etc to make sure no water got in before starting back up.

When you drive in the rain, where do you think the water goes? It gets all over everything in your engine bay. A little spray from the hose is harmless.

6. Feb 21, 2015 at 7:34 AM
    Blackat

Blackat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    TRD Stat, TRD Supercharger, TRD Headers, TRD Cat-back, slight lift.
    I just wait for a rainy day....problem solved.

7. Feb 21, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    Darryle

Darryle It is just a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    Super Clean is some bad stuff. I have a buddy that has a home made parts washer and that is all he uses in it. He also has a dip tank that has an airline in the bottom and uses a burner underneath. He puts everything in it, lights the fire and turns the air on slow and engines come out looking like they are new. It strips the paint off of them and he ends up with a bare block. He uses it on aluminum and cast iron blocks and heads. He buys Super Clean by the drum and changes it ever 6 months. Before that he used Tide laundry powder in the tank.

I have used Simple Green and just never let it dry, rinse and repeat as needed.

8. Feb 21, 2015 at 3:48 PM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    Simple Green® Pro HD Heavy-Duty Cleaner & Degreaser - "Use Simple Green Pro HD in a general cleaning dilution on floors, painted surfaces, aluminum, stainless or polished steel, chrome, plastics, vinyl, canvas, cabinets, counters, stove tops, refrigerators, sinks, showers, tile, and more. Use Simple Green Pro HD in a heavier cleaning dilution for engines, wheels, tools, heavy equipment, landscaping equipment, bumpers, grease and oil stains, exteriors of cars, trucks, vans, RVs, and boats; on BBQs, ovens, grills, range hoods and vents, machinery and more." - http://simplegreen.com/products/pro-hd-cleaner-degreaser/

Ed

9. Feb 21, 2015 at 4:02 PM
    BudMan

BudMan knee scooters R us

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    +1. Simple and effective.

10. Mar 31, 2016 at 7:22 AM
    PeachEater81

PeachEater81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gregorio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon C/O, Icon 2.0 Resi's, LR UCAs, Alcan 8 leaf pack, Aero 2525XL, Michelin LTX MS2, Lifetime LED heads and fogs (bad company and product - don't buy), aFe Pro Dry filter, Weathertech mats, Best Top, Hybrid Audio, Arc Amp, Arc Sub, Ram matting, Core/Hurst Short Throw Shifter, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X....
    My girlfriends truck, a 98 4 cylinder, had some oil on the engine- maybe caused when I switched to synthetic. So I bought some degreaser and sprayed it on the engine block. I went ahead and rinsed the whole engine bay since it was dirty. I tried to start the truck afterwards, but it was dead. Tried again and it had a little juice, but didn't even attempt to turn over. I didn't realize I should check the fuses unitl now (I'm at work). Any thoughts? I've sprayed off my '05 many times with no issues.

11. Apr 1, 2016 at 9:38 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Rinse first, apply degreaser, scrub, rinse again, let dry, apply tire foam, wipe off excess

12. Mar 7, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    HskyWrhglr4x4

HskyWrhglr4x4 Active Member

Member:
    I personally like Simple Green, or in this case Green Works. Its the same as simple green. Just to be safe, before I started I put a rubber glove over my oil and trans fluid dip stick, and over my brake fluid reserve. Then sprayed the whole bay down (Low pressure) and then sprayed the Green Works on. Let it sit for a couple minutes and then hose her down. I hand dried mine instead of letting it drip dry. No more Mud!!! Pretty clean for a '15

IMG_1741.jpg

13. Mar 7, 2018 at 11:13 PM
    JB3CK24

JB3CK24 Return to the 36 Chambers

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    SD, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 TRD, 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    Cleaned mine the other day...I used Super Clean on the aluminum intake plenum, man... it does wonders. I rinsed it off immediately though after scrubbing pretty good to get the pores in the aluminum. Sorry, no pics.

14. Mar 8, 2018 at 5:33 AM
    HskyWrhglr4x4

HskyWrhglr4x4 Active Member

Member:
    Right on man! I may try other products, but I get a little nervous. Where do you find Super Clean?

15. Mar 8, 2018 at 11:14 AM
    thej

thej Active Member

Member:
    north idaho
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab TRD
    Make sure to cover the igniter, I didn't cover mine before a heavy engine bay douching and paid the price :(

16. Mar 8, 2018 at 11:55 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    clean?

your truck?

:confused:

I guess it depends on how clean you want it. I usually just hose it off to get the big chunks off. If you really want to get it clean, maybe use some engine degreaser and your roommate's toothbrush and really scrub at it.

17. Mar 8, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Lol. I have done this more than 40 times and never had this issue, even when detailing customers cars. Just don't dunk your engine bay in water. Be smart about it. No need to cover a bunch of shit up or remove the battery.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/thunders-04-ext-cab-derp-edition.376198/page-3#post-15272746

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Willbeck likes this.
  18. Mar 11, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    I use simple green and then a pressure washer to rinse it off. No problems here just don’t let it sit there too long before spraying off

19. Mar 11, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    lucky13don

lucky13don Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Milton, fl
    Vehicle:
    R.I.P.04 tacoma prerunner, 04 sequoia 4x4
    Too many to list
    Watch chrisfix on YouTube. Has a great video of this.

standard likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top