1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to clean paint protection film (PPF)

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by TacoNoVeggies, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Nov 28, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    TacoNoVeggies

TacoNoVeggies [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '20 Off Road ACLB Quicksand
    Stock
    Did some off roading for the second time in my 2020 a few weeks back. Washing the truck the next day I noticed the PPF was impossible to get clean. It's almost if some of the debris embedded itself into the PPF. I've washed over it with a brush and tried a stream of water (not pressure washer, but a concentrated stream "wand"). Those did OK, but still gunk there. Anyone else having the same issue?

2. Nov 29, 2020 at 5:13 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    I'm not sure that you're supposed to use anything harsher than you'd use on the paint, even for high end PPF. Even a flag tipped brush is pushing the edge of more abrasive than you'd want to get with it. Same for chemicals but I would spot check these first like as they might leave the PPF hazed and possibly worse. Clay can help but you can't polish out the marring left by clay as easily as you can with paint.

The pieces of film the manufacturers or importers use are really meant to be sacrificial. They protect the paint indefinitely better with rock chips and light scratches but you'll eventually need to replace them as they age. Over time you'll start to collect filth on the edge of it, kind of tough to avoid that long term. If you polish or use waxes or paint sealants be sure to tape the edges to avoid getting the gunk under there.

TacoNoVeggies[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 29, 2020 at 5:59 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Every day driving beats them up too eventually. 100k+ miles on mine and they are no longer clear the only way to fix it is replace them, Maine has a lot of dirt roads.

TacoNoVeggies[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 29, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    TacoNoVeggies

TacoNoVeggies [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '20 Off Road ACLB Quicksand
    Stock
    Thanks @gorram & @maineah for letting me know. I can live with the dirt if there's no good way to clean it other than what I'm already doing.

Products Discussed in

To Top