1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Drain/Refill Automatic Transmission

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fortech, Dec 5, 2009.

1. May 29, 2017 at 10:52 AM
    303tacoma

303tacoma Bad Karma is a Bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Sw Denver Concrete Jungle
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD AC 4th gen Rav4 Platinum
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
    Good idea:thumbsup:

2. Jun 28, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    06TXED

06TXED Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB MGM TRD OR 4x4
  3. Jun 28, 2017 at 3:40 PM
    flyphish

flyphish Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 4x4 off road
    Leer camper, 265/75/R16
    Didnt read through all 48 pages of this but do you guys typically drop the pan and do a filter and gasket change with the drain and fill? Just hit 60k miles and tow my boat roughly 200 miles/ month. Not sure to go to the dealership for a full flush or just do an at home drain and fill with a filter and gasket change? Any suggestions much appreciated. Cheers

4. Jun 28, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/diy-full-flush-for-automatic-transmission.68462/
    Most people don't bother with the filter, it's just a mesh screen. It doesn't need changing too often.

5. Jun 28, 2017 at 11:01 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    That's a lot of towing. A large capacity trany cooler is highly recommended. I would do a flush every other drain/refill and do a filter change/cleaning every 100K or so. The flush need not be a full 12-quart flush; an 8-quart flush should suffice. Even though the mesh filters may not need replacing as often as paper element filters, you should still remove the pan to clean it and the magnets.

6. Jun 29, 2017 at 3:59 AM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Most wear happens in the first few 10K miles. So recommend drop the pan and clean magnets for sure on your first drain/fill or flush. The mesh filter is inexpensive and easy to change when you drop the pan so I'd go ahead and do that the first time. After that first change likely very little wear is going to occur - at least any wear that produces large particles and shavings so probably no need to replace filter and if doing just drain and fill probably no reason to drop pan either. if flushing it is always recommended to drop and clean the pan.

Towing doesn't dramatically increase wear, what it does is increase temperature by a lot and increased temperature reduces the life of the fluid so that's why you need to change fluid more frequently when towing.

On older transmissions (>100K) there is some debate but many would not recommend a flush but instead do drain and fill on a schedule, say every 10K miles so you are slowly cycling out the old fluid without hitting the old transmission with all new fluid at once.

Anyway given your amount of towing without having tracked transmission temps doing "something" at 60K makes sense. There are a lot of different opinions as to what to do but I'd definitely recommend dropping the pan and cleaning the magnets on the first service. Might as well do filter with the pan off too. Then just decide if you will do drain and fill over time or flush all at once.

7. Jun 29, 2017 at 6:22 AM
    flyphish

flyphish Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Leer camper, 265/75/R16
    Thanks for the responses. Thinking more about it and 200 miles is probably a bit high, definitely in the summer months but not every month. Its a small boat, 1600 lbs boat and trailer. I am leaning towards full flush along with dropping the pan for filter and gasket change. After that I will go for simple DIY drain and fills. Any ideas on what I can expect to pay at the dealership? Friend works at a Ford dealership and they have done some easier stuff for me on the cheap. Not sure that I want to risk them not using the correct fluid and not have the know how of the Toyota tranny etc.

8. Jun 29, 2017 at 6:44 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    It's actually not hard to do. You should be able to do it yourself.

9. Jun 29, 2017 at 11:47 AM

91859706 I like Toyota trucks.

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD OR
    My dealership in upstate NY told me a full flush is $165.

10. Jun 29, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Don't take it to the dealership, take it to a reputable transmission shop instead if you aren't going to just do it yourself. Read through the transmission threads here and the dealers are all over the place either telling you it is a lifetime fluid or using any one of a number of different flushing methods/machines.

11. Jun 29, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    flyphish

flyphish Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Leer camper, 265/75/R16
    Thanks again for all the response. I still havent decided if I will try it myself, never touched a transmission and it makes me a bit nervous. Done plugs, differential fluids, oil changes, drive shaft lubes etc learned lurking around these forums. I likely could handle the drain and fill but idk about a flush. I can likely take it to my buddy who works in a Ford shop and have him do a flush. Just dont know how different if at all it would be doing on a Tacoma. Wouldnt want him to mess it up.

91859706 likes this.
  12. Jun 29, 2017 at 1:46 PM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    If you can do an oil change you can do a cooler line flush or drain/fill on these, it's super easy. Practice putting your truck into temp check mode before you change it. Temp check is really easy after you've done it a time or two, don't let that stop you if that's what you're worried about. A flush is basically just a drain and fill with a couple extra steps.

13. Jun 29, 2017 at 5:14 PM
    desertrunner24

desertrunner24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Fresno , CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad 4x4
    Some
    Anyone with higher miles 100k plus do a full flush and filter change? Anything I should worry about? I have towed quite a bit over the last 11 years and hauled many heavy loads in the bed. Never had any shifting troubles ever. I plan on putting in amsoil synthetic atf.

14. Jun 29, 2017 at 5:40 PM

91859706 I like Toyota trucks.

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD OR
    Not an expert, and haven't done it yet myself but I also have a 2006 with 100k on it. I think @gearcruncher gives the best advice: drop the pan and look at the fluid and magnets. If it's burnt, smells bad, and discolored, then don't flush...if it still looks new the. You can flush.

15. Jul 7, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    NeonHeights

NeonHeights Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have an 07 4x4 v6 with Tow Package (Tranny cooler).

Followed this guide today and only got 2.2L total when draining. Dark color with red tint if you dabbed it on a paper towel. Figured it must of been running low for a long time and the previous owner had messed up a DIY refill like this one. I refilled with 3.3L with a pump as suggested and began the process of starting temp check mode.

For some reason, the A/T Temp light would not stop flashing after starting temp check mode. I did all the procedures correctly, and the light stayed on for 2 seconds after switching to Park but then just started a continuous, slow flash. I waited 30+ Minutes for the light to go solid but it never did. I drove around a bit and tried again and it still just flashed. I shut the truck off for over an hour and it still just flashed after entering temp check mode. Mind you its a slow flash not a fast one if that makes a difference.

I got tired of waiting so I just went under the truck and pulled the overflow bolt. A fair amount came out and then it began to trickle so I stuck the bolt back on. I measured how much came out the overflow and it was about 0.9L. Which means that only 2.4L of the original 3.3 I refilled actually stayed in. Which tells me that the 2.2L that originally came out wasnt actually underfilled.

The overflow that came out wasnt bright red anymore despite me pouring brand new fluid into it. It resembled the same color as the original old stuff I took out.

Did I mess something up in the process? I have no idea why the temp light wouldnt stay solid. I ended up literally just putting the same amount back into the truck as I took out.

The surface I was on wasnt completely level, it wasnt an extreme slope or really any slope at all, but the level I had on the truck was definitely not completely in the center.

16. Jul 7, 2017 at 6:43 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    You can drive over 2X4's to level the frame. Remember to check level under the frame between the F/R tires. I use a IR gun to measure the temp; first on the pan as it warms up, then on the ATF as it flows out to make sure it is at recommended temp. This method has been proven to be as accurate as reading the temp sensors via Toyota's Techstream software.

17. Jul 7, 2017 at 7:20 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Your tranny could have been too hot. When I did mine, I had been out running around and after probably 3 hours was still too hot. Tried it the next morning and had to warm her up about 15 - 20 minutes to get it to temp (was kinda cool out). Running your truck would have circulated the fluid, so what came out would have been mixed with the old hence the darker color. Try the temp check in the morning and I'll bet you can get it to work. I read the directions about a dozen times to be sure I did it correctly. You want to be as level as possible when you do the check.

Pabloeeto likes this.
  18. Jul 21, 2017 at 1:42 PM
    Krusey1011

Krusey1011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Washington
    I got as far as torquing the drain plug (15-20 ft lbs as listed in the op). I set my wrench at 17.5 and it stripped.

19. Jul 21, 2017 at 3:59 PM
    80schild

80schild Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Flori-Bama
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport Access Cab
    I dont even bother with a torque wrench, I tighten it until it's good and snug and let it be. I feel like I'm a better judge when enough is enough.

Krusey1011[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jul 27, 2017 at 5:51 AM
    TacoSupremeo

TacoSupremeo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    i will be doing this soon on my 05 trd o/r, 175,000 mi. the thing to remember is ATF has lubricity properties, but is as much a cleaner as it is a lubricator... when the fluid is dirty it needs to be changed or its ability to clean the trans internals is compromised. do any of you guys have the part number for the pan sealing rings? i read like the first 6 pages and gave up.

Products Discussed in

To Top