1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Easy GPS Hardwiring

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ruppmeister, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Dec 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    sweet write up,definetly doing this with mine

2. Dec 9, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    I appreciate the help, I think I'm gonna wait and have my buddy help me, I'm an electrical idiot, he's good at it, he'll probably find something simple I'm missing!

3. Dec 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    ruppmeister

ruppmeister [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad
    Moto Metal Skull 17x9, BFG KM2's 285/70R17, Toytec ULK, LR UCA
    One thing I was thinking about today was that it is possible that you swapped the hot with the ground on the aux power outlet and that would cause the fuse to blow on the factory plug to the GPS. Just a thought...good luck with getting it fixed.

4. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    Could be, i can try switching them. Wouldn't surprise me, the wires were the same color.

5. Jun 12, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    BustedFinger

BustedFinger New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Loren
    Vinton, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner V6
    I know this is an old thread but I just did this mod today on my Taco and wanted to: A) Thank Ruppmeister for the write-up, and B) offer my insights on the procedure for those who may come along after me to do this.

First of all, I may have had a misconception of how the add-a-circuit works. Even after reading the instructions that came with the add-a-circuit, I was under the impression that the new circuit was controlled solely by the fuse added at the top of the pair (the 7.5 amp fuse that the OP installed in the write-up). Therefore, I was under the assumption that if you were installing the add-a-circuit into an empty fuse slot, you should only need to use one fuse in the add-a-circuit. However, I quickly found out that the new circuit will not function unless both fuse slots on the add-a-circuit are filled.

Also, if you do end up tapping into a fuse slot that already is occuppied, the existing fuse cannot be put into the add-a-circuit. You will have to have use one of the fuses that came with the add-a-circuit that is the same amperage as the existing fuse that you pull out of your fuse box. Below is a comparison picture of the existing fuse that came out of the Taco and the fuse that comes with the add-a-circuit. The fuse on the left is the one from the Taco. The fuse on the right came with the add-a-circuit.

[​IMG]
    The Taco fuse can not be inserted into the add-a-circuit unit.

Once I figured that out, the rest of the install was a piece of cake. I removed the Oh-S*** handle and removed the pillar cover. Since my '07 Taco does not have the side curtain airbags, there was not already a bolt up there to ground to. However, the hole for the bolt was there and I found a bolt in my stash that fit so I was able to ground the circuit there.

I wanted my GPS mounted in the center of the dash and I was easily able to run the GPS power cord up through the A-Pillar opening and then tuck it in across the front of the dash to the middle. Just something to note that a center-mount is possible with these instructions.

6. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:17 AM
    shooter3225

shooter3225 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD PreRunner
    Sweet write up..will be trying this on my next day off!

7. Feb 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Very nice write up.Thanks

8. Feb 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    shooter3225

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD PreRunner
    Anyone else try this and have any issues recently?? Gonna do it tmrw and follow write up as best I can!

9. Feb 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    shooter3225

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD PreRunner
    Also would 12 gauge wire work or is it too big?

10. Feb 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i may be a bit confused here, but wouldnt plugging it into the power plug on the dash be the same thing? key on, gps charges. key off, no charge.

11. Feb 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    shooter3225

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD PreRunner
    Yea but you have an ugly wire hanging out when you can do it a better way!

12. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    ottonavigps

ottonavigps Well-Known Member

Member:
    Very nice install guide...

13. Feb 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    Great write up and diagrams. +rep

14. Feb 4, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    BustedFinger

BustedFinger New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Loren
    Vinton, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner V6
    Not to mention that your power outlet would be occupied so you couldn't use it for something else!

15. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Just found this with a search. Thanks to the OP for the write up. I wanted something like this, that is not so permanant. This looks easy enough for me to do, and will be soon. I actually used an extention and ran my wire up the pillar and have my GPS on the top right corner of the windshield. So I still loose my cig lighter outlet. Glad to gain my outlet back with this mod, when I do it.

16. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Did this on Thursday, I didn't have the open slot that the OP had on my 2010 Off-Road. I think that slot is for the back up camera. And none of the empty slots, which besides the one he used, where the same as his, but had no power with key off/on. So I tapped into the ACC one, which is on the top row 3rd from right. Next to an empty, fuse is 7.5 amps. Everything works great. Thanks again to the OP for this write up, because this was a nice and easy way to do it.

17. Apr 15, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    davem311

davem311 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4. El Taco Blanco.
    3" Pro Comp Lift. Toyo At2 285/70r18. Pro Comp Alloy Rims. TRD Intake. Fogs Anytime Mod. Oil Catch Can. SnugTop Rebel Shell. Weather TEC floor mats. Mirror Mod. Garmin Etrex Hardwire.
    Small question. How come you used a 3 fuse and a 7 fuse. Would using 2x 10 in the add fuse hurt/help? I am installing my etrex and plan to do the same route as the OP. Thanks for the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top