1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to fix the economy and get our nation out of debt?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Killer, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    A simpler, less complicated taxation system might be the answer. Over taxing, under taxing, and over spending doesn't seem to work. Of course, simplifying the tax code would also take a miracle. I'm living in fantasy land.:D

2. Mar 7, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    explain? other countries do come to our need... they helped during katrina, 9/11, and a whole host of other times

3. Mar 7, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    bonsai3s

bonsai3s Active Member

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD, Off Road, Prerunner
    I will try notto be political, but here are my thoughts:
    * For years Automakers screwed the public by selling cars way overpriced. The buying public finally got smart and what happens?...the feds bailed them out.
    * For years banks and financial institutions screwed citizens by charging high interest rates, and numerous fees. Again what happens?...the feds bailed them out.
    * For years OPEC has controlled the price of oil. When are we going to get smart and tell those guys where to shove it?...the feds continue to buy oil from these guys.
    * For years foreigner have known that America is the best country in the world...most are willing to do anything to immigrate to the U.S...legal or not. Stop illegal immigration and all the subsidies that go along with it.
    * Let's all pay the same taxes across the board. What's so difficult about that? Wouldn't it be nice for everyone to file a single page tax return...that's an idea.
    * Government can't create jobs...businesses do. Give small business owners a break...they may just be able to hire more people.
    * I can go on and on, but I would like to end with this...I lived through the first oil embargo in the early 70's. The ever increasing gas prices affects ALL our pocketbooks. The solution is quite simple. The U.S. has enough oil reserves to last a few thousand years...stop buying oil from the OPEC countries!

4. Mar 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    not going to be enough... the deficit is $1.4 Trillion dollars... do you know how much money that is! Thats each freaking year none the less

a flat tax is a very bad idea... streamlined tax code great idea... but a flat tax is harmful to lower income people... besides the flat tax would have to raise for the poor and lower for the rich... say 20% across the board in order to fix our problem... my taxes would go up about 3% while Bill Gates would go down about 20%... while I'm okay with paying a little more tax I'm not okay with Bill Gates paying that much less tax

5. Mar 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    Damn right!!! the only one you forgot (in my opinion) is shut down everything about NASA other than national security. . . all those smart cats will get jobs and it will save the US billions of dollars.

6. Mar 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    NASA's already defunded.

Some of the "ideas" in this thread make my head hurt.

7. Mar 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    i know their budget is deflated, but im talking about cleaning house. ive just really never understood the point of it all. space exploration is just a pointless leftover from the cold war if you ask me.

8. Mar 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    All the money the U. S. spends for foreign aid is less than 1% of the budget.

The Union/teacher "issue" in Wisconsin is a miniscule crumb at the bottom of an industrial sized furnace. The media are giving the whiners a crumb to bitch about (the unions) while the Politicians are giving us all the wrap around and stealing the entire loaf of bread.

I do wonder what 1% of the money spent on "Black OPS" would total, though. :cool:

GO UNION!

Steve

9. Mar 7, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    small drops in the bucket....

if you drop everything except military, Social security, and Medicare we'll still have a deficit

[​IMG]

10. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    yarik83

yarik83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yuri
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Lift kit, weight distribution hitch. Camper shell. Kayak Rack.
    Let's be a little bit more cautious when talking about things like the space program. Without investment in space technologies you can say good bye to your tv and the cell phone and the gps and google maps and the likes.

Cost of average satellite measures in hundreds of millions of dollars and those are launched using russian and ukrainian rockets. Now imagine if usa did not have a space development program... you would have to tap into something like france's satellites for example causing your cell phone bill to be upwards of 300 bazillion dollars because you would have to buy services from a local company who in term buys services from another country.

Let me put this into perspective. Google buys imagery from subcontractors like teleatlas who in term buy it from companies that run ikonos, geoeye etc satellites. To buy lets say 1 meter resolution imagery from ikonos you would spend about 5 times less than purchasing similar type imagery from french satellites. And yet space program pushes technology forward and sometimes it is necessary to spend more to get better quality data or else your imagery would appear as a blur.

When it boils down to it... investment into technology is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to nation's spending.

11. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
  12. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    enjm10

enjm10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Double Cab
    5% Front strip and doors, 20% wrapped around the rest of the truck.
    Taxation and legalization of marijuana

13. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Turning this thread political is not in anyones best interest.

14. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    Pickin n Grinnin

Pickin n Grinnin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    FL/WNC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC TRD sport
    Everybody says the business climate here is so poor. What I want to know is if it is so poor why are the largest corporations posting record profits and sitting on about 1.8 trillion dollars in their bank accounts. Bank of America paying thousands less in taxes than my wife and I. Corporations have the whole bag and control the government too. They are the only ones who have the wealth and power to do something. Tax the poor what you gonna get their called poor for a reason. Corporations need to start hiring instead of sitting on their mountains of gold. More jobs more spending than an increase in tax revenue. Instead these Corporate whores only want to cry about their over taxation and then they attack main street USA. Well we dont have enough combined to solve the problem so they are barking up the wrong trees. If they dont start hiring and producing here than tax them out of existence because they are then just a drain on us.

15. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    i think china is aiding you right now.

16. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    How on earth could this type of thread not be political? :confused:

There are several agencies that run particularly bloated with the Departments of Defense, Energy and Education being the three I'll mention. Cut their budgets substantially and require that our country and all governments do whatever possible to lower their necessary budgets. In government budgets, agencies use all of their allotted budgets even when wasteful, because if they don't, they won't get it again. Obliterate that concept and incentivize/encourage saving $ from the budget without fear of being under-funded in the future for frugality today.

17. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Fucking Canadians :mad:

18. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I should have been more clear. Turning it into a political "Party vs. Party" type shit fest is not permitted. If the topic stays its course, then the thread can remain open.

19. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X1000, can't agree more.
    This works also. :p
    This.
    X2
    X2

Lets see here:

Kill entitlement programs as Packerfan said
    Cut the Dept. of Ed.
    Limit the President to (1) 6-year term
    Limit all politicians to one term
    Drill all day long on our soil and offshore (No, not 5K ft. deep like the Deepwater Horizon)
    Pull out of the UN
    Cut back on our foreign oil dependence
    STOP THE OUTRAGEOUS GOVT. SPENDING! What don't those fools get?
    Tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts
    Close the borders immediately - Stop illegal immigration and shoot drug cartels on sight. (If you only knew Mexico's illegal immigration laws)
    Quit spending frivolous amounts on the prison system, make it a cut and dry environment. No amenities as you would have on the outside.

Last but not least, Reaganomics and "Joe Arpaio law" will help this country prosper!

20. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    And no bags :anonymous:

Products Discussed in

To Top