1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to fix the timing chain cover oil leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mingy, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Dec 22, 2017 at 7:18 AM
    Mingy

Mingy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    Hello

This is probably my final thread on Tacomaworld: I've grown tired of repairing my 2008 Taco and traded it in for a 2018 Tundra.

The second to last straw that broke the camel's back was that I developed an oil leak. Basically I was losing about 1 liter of oil for 1,000 km. I have seen a number of posts suggesting this was a $1000+ repair. It should not be: the repair is easy to do and quick. It is almost beginner level in terms of difficulty.

So I figured I'd document it.

First you need to buy the appropriate gasket maker. I bought Permatex 59803.

Then you want to make yourself some alignment pins to fit in the two upper bolt holes of the timing chain cover. This will make the job much easier. I didn't do that and struggled. I believe they are M7-1.00 but I might be wrong. Just cut the heads off.

Next, remove the timing chain cover. It is located on the right side of the engine facing the vehicle (i.e. passenger side), just above the serpentine belt.

Remove the four bolts with a 10 mm socket wrench and remover the gasket. My cover and gasket almost fell off - which is what you would expect if it was not properly installed.

Note how the outside of the gasket is clean:

While the other side toward the engine is wet with oil:
    Finally, note that the engine block shows a stain, suggesting an oil leak. Unsurprisingly, this stain exactly lines up with the wet part of the gasket.

Next clean off the block and the cover with a scraper removing any bits of gasket, sealant, etc..

I have no pictures of what comes next because the gasket material is very gooey and I got it all over the place. I didn't want to ruin my phone by taking a picture.

Run a bead of gasket material on the engine block and install the pins in the upper two holes. Just put them in a few threads - they'll stop the plate from falling down.

Then put a bead of gasket material on the cover plate.

Put the cover plate back and put two bolts in the holes finger tight. Remove the pins and install the other two bolts. Put all the bolts finger tight.

Wait an hour. (this is important).

Tighten the bolts (I couldn't figure out the torque setting so I used a 3/8 drive ratchet with my hand half way.

Wait 24 hours before using starting the engine.

2. Dec 22, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    jca

jca Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for this.

Just curious, how many miles were on the engine?

3. Dec 22, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    Mingy

Mingy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    Only 175,000 km, so about 110,000 miles. In contrast, I put over 300,000 km on a 4Runner (i.e. Taco with a different body) before the odometer broke.

I had a litany of issues with this truck. It was, by a wide measure, the least reliable Toyota I have ever owned. I've replaced the clutch (4runner still had original clutch), a brake caliper, alternator, all 3 idler pullies, several serpentine belts, and done a wheel bearing job, besides this oil leak. I'm sure there are a few things I left out as well. In contrast all I've have to do with all my other Toyotas is brake jobs and the occasional mouse related repair.

Toyota seems to have a serious issue with Tacoma reliability.

4. Dec 22, 2017 at 10:28 AM
    80schild

80schild Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Flori-Bama
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport Access Cab
    I don't think this is the same area where most people have the leak. It's usually the whole timing chain cover, not that little access panel. It's definately a good place to check first though.

AJKlug1 and usmc2msu like this.
  5. Dec 22, 2017 at 2:44 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Easy fix. Gasket layer covering the metal breaks down over the years. Do as you did, and problem solved.

80 inch pounds

GilbertOz and AR15xAR10 like this.
  6. Sep 17, 2019 at 10:33 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    I just went through the same procedure to stop the leak on my 2005 4.0 timing chain cover. Very messy job. I had let it go for quite some time and finally decided to deal with it when it was leaving oil stains in the parking lot where I carpool from (embarrassing). Everything went smoothly aside from a few issues getting the cooling system to seal up leak tight - that took a bit more RTV silicone on the water pump gasket and a couple new hose clamps on the smaller cooling lines going to the oil filter thing. I used the same Permatex Ultra Black as the OP and it worked great. I struggled with getting the passenger side valve cover off, since the rearmost (locating) stud was rusted and took some heat to get the valve cover to release from it - I was worried I would do some damage and either break the valve cover or snap off the stud, but it worked out ok in the end with patience, penetrating oil, a MAP torch, and gentle prying. Fortunately, my cam chains were not stretched :thumbsup: The cam chain tensioner had barely moved from the original position - one click as far as I could tell. My Tacoma has 476,000 mostly highway miles on it. Dirty, dirty, dirty job. I went through a whole roll of blue shop towels and lots of hand cleaner. Took a bit more than two weeks to do since I have lots of other life stuff going on and could only put in a few hours at a time. No small job, but anyone who is patient and can follow directions can do this. I relied on Youtube videos, a Clymer manual, and mostly the factory service manual from this link:
    https://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/files/05FSM/repair.html

Rock on :headbang:

7. Jan 29, 2020 at 2:46 PM
    Camby

Camby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Magnuson Supercharger TRD CAI Catch Can After market dual exhaust Heated Mirror Kit Install Aftermarket Head and Tail lights Several accessory Mods
    Any chance you can find a new link for this page? I’m thinking of buying a new timing cover, and replacing mine.

8. Jan 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
  9. Dec 23, 2021 at 4:19 PM
    Atmosphere420

Atmosphere420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Mojave Desert
    Vehicle:
    super white 2017 TRD Sport 4x4 Premium
    procomp wheels Magna flow Tint 2in lift Light Bar Amber fogs X3 bumper Toyo 33s
    This is Also a thing for 3rds Gens too, leaks slightly from the timing chain cover. and its not just a 1000$ fix, thats just how much the parts cost from the dealer. They will pull the motor and charge you 5100$ for a full job.

10. Dec 23, 2021 at 6:59 PM
    TnShooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I’ve heard from a reputable source, that you can drop the front diff and get the job done with out pulling the engine. :thumbsup:

But it’s still a BIG job.

Atmosphere420[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Dec 23, 2021 at 8:54 PM
    Atmosphere420

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Mojave Desert
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input :thumbsup:, pulling the motor is definitely a lot more difficult on a 3rd gen since the bay is a bit smaller but like you said removal of the front diff can def save you some time and tools. I Will look into this more.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  12. Dec 23, 2021 at 9:10 PM
    TnShooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    @Bishop84 has probably done enough of them to know all the tips/tricks.
    I’ve never done one. Hope I never have to.
    He’s the “reputable source” I referenced above :thumbsup:

13. Dec 26, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    EME

EME Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma sport
    for second gen, just unbolt ps pump, push it off to the side. no need to remove hoses (unplug electrical connector from pump). wash timing cover seam down with brake clean to remove any oil, blow dry, run a bead along the seam of timing cover and block, takes maybe 1/2 of your time and use only permatec "Right Stuff" RTV it will not leak when your done. no need to remove cover, lots of posts about this as successful. the timing cover has a machined flaw that near the PS pump leaves a gap when the timing cover is bolted against the engine block. its only splash lub from the chain under the timing cover, so the outside bead of RTV while sounding as a cheap/lazy improper repair does work and does pose less risk of leaking compared to the time and work required to R&R the timing cover
    I had done this on mine, it sealed the leak, eventually I did reseal the timing cover BUT I only did it because I had to replace head gaskets

GilbertOz and mosscla like this.
  14. Apr 27, 2022 at 4:50 AM
    cg13055

cg13055 4.0__chris

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.0 V6 Tundra
    custom dual exhaust, lift, tires, bullbar, sound system, etc.
    Where would this be ? I’m leaking from the passenger side, it’s a sweat but I know a sweat will develop into a true leak. I’m trying to see if I can slow it down because I’m at 150K and if I go in there I’m gonna change everything, I’d like to postpone that since it’s just a sweat. Down the rabbit hole we go

15. Apr 27, 2022 at 8:33 AM
    Beerline123

Beerline123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma access 4x4
    I've had the sweat for years never produced a drip. I plan to do rtv to outside seam in summer. Good luck to you

Mattedfred and cg13055 like this.
  16. Apr 27, 2022 at 8:34 AM
    cg13055

cg13055 4.0__chris

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.0 V6 Tundra
    custom dual exhaust, lift, tires, bullbar, sound system, etc.
    Let me know how it goes! If it works out for you I’d like to do the same thing!

17. Apr 27, 2022 at 8:35 AM
    Beerline123

Beerline123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma access 4x4
    No problem

cg13055 likes this.
  18. Aug 28, 2022 at 11:58 AM
    GeopeteCan

GeopeteCan New Member

Member:

Have you done this yet? Did it work out at all? Mines been weeping for awhile and I’m going to get after it before the fall hits.
    TIA

19. Aug 28, 2022 at 4:50 PM
    Atmosphere420

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Mojave Desert
    Vehicle:
    Mine has dropped 3 total drops on the ground when I left it sitting for a few months and didn't drive it. The bottom skid had a little more but so far nothings been hitting the ground since I started driving it again.

20. Mar 3, 2023 at 7:17 AM
    Gfenza89

Gfenza89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Philadelphia PA suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 4x4 DCSB v6
    Heritage colors, rough country seat covers.
    Would this apply to a 3rd gens too?

Products Discussed in

To Top