1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to increase headroom

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tentpig@yahoo.com, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Jan 17, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    tentpig@yahoo.com

tentpig@yahoo.com [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have an opportunity to get a 2001 Tacoma SR5 for cheap money.

However, at 6'1" tall, when I sit in the stock seats at the most comfortable setting for me, I'm staring at the top of the window and every bump I hit results in my head hitting the roof.

(Yes, I could 'recline' the seats more, but then I'm not in a comfortable driving position).

What options would I have for modifications / new seats that would increase the headroom?

Would appreciate any thoughts, I'd love to buy this truck but it isn't practical if I can't get more headroom

Thanks,
    Vinny

2. Jan 17, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    you can either put new seats in, or cut the roof out. I think those are about your options

3. Jan 17, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    tentpig@yahoo.com

Member:
    Thanks. I gathered #1 is an option. #2 wouldn't be an option since there isn't currently a moon roof nor likely to be one in the future.

I guess the logical question would be -- what aftermarket modifications are there that would allow me to gain another 1 or 2 inches of headroom, what seats are available and how much headroom could I gain, etc.

I'm not a toyota truck guy so I'm not really familiar w/ the options, and googling didn't yield a hell of a lot of useful information.

4. Jan 17, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    you can search around on toyota forums, as alot of people have done alot of different swaps. You can do anything from swapping in other toyota truck seats(direct bolt in i believe) to custom fabricating seats. Celica seats seem to be popular

5. Jan 17, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    Motoknuckle

Motoknuckle Braaaaap!

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner xtracab V6
    Tint, Clear Corners,
    Try lowering the factory seat brackets. Seem's like there is plenty of room under the seats for them to be lowered.

6. Jan 17, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    What cab type (Regular Cab / XtraCab / Double Cab) is this 2001? And what seats does it currently have in it (single bench; 60/40 split bench; buckets)?

If it's a Regular Cab with a single bench seat, you could swap in Tacoma buckets of the same generation and get a slightly lower seat bottom height.

If it's got either the 60/40's or the buckets, other Taco buckets won't be lower.

I think you may be able to drop the seat up to 1" if you're willing to chop the mounting base 'legs' and re-weld it back together.

No other Toyota seats will transplant into a 2001 Taco 'as is'. Certain 4Runner and Celica seats will line up with 3 out of 4 bolt holes. I don't know offhand if either of these would sit you lower, but I'd bet if either did it'd be the Celica seats.

7. Jan 17, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    tentpig@yahoo.com

Member:
    Its an Xtra Cab w/ the bucket seats. The bucket seats don't seem all that bucket-like though, they're fairly flat and don't have the typical U-shaped section for your ass like most bucket seats seem to, but its definitely not a bench seat nor 60/40 split bench. They're factory stock.

Bummer. Although its "cheap money", its still more than I'd be willing to spend to take the chance. I'd certainly be willing to hack the mounting base if I knew I'd get the requisite headroom, but it sounds like I'd have to play around with it to find out.

I guess I'll have to keep searching for a 2005+ Tacoma which is affordable, I definitely fit in one of those w/o a problem.

8. Jan 22, 2009 at 1:29 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    I'm 6'3" and have no problem in my '01 Taco DoubleCab. I have plenty of head room. It is a Limited model with the "Sport Bucket" seats. I know they are different than the regular buckets, but I'm now sure why... I only found this out when I went to order Wet Okole seat covers. Apparently there is a difference in which bucket seats your Tacoma has based on what option package you got with it. The Limited models have "Sport Bucket" seats and the others just have regular buckets. If anyone knows exactly what the difference is I would love to know. Also, I don't have my seats leaned back really far (I hate driving like that) but they're not at a 90 degree angle either.

9. Jan 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Compared to 'regular buckets', the Limited 'Sport Bucket' seats have different trim materials, slightly different bolster / cushion profiles, and an electric lumbar support feature on the driver's side seat.

These seats came only on Tacomas equipped with the optional Limited Package and on S-Runners.

10. Jan 20, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    XBrown

XBrown Spartacus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Xavier
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma SR5
    The 60/40 seats in my 99' Taco felt way lower than the seats in my 04'. My guess is they changed in 01'. Just a thought.

11. Jan 20, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    Kuneff

Kuneff Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    just recline the seat... It will be a million times easier than anything else. I am 6' and after a week or so, you get used to it.

12. Jan 20, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    Yea im 6' 2" and i just recline, my parents always tell me im too big for my truck.

13. Jan 20, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    I have a 2001 X-Cab TRD. I am not sure if the bucket seats are different but I have no problem in them. I am nearly 6'3" and don't lean the seat all the way back. In fact, my 5 year old is able to sit behind me. Check out the TRD seats, they might be a bit different.

14. Jan 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    agreed knock an inch or so out

15. Jan 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    im also 6'1 and have no issues...slide the seat forward and then recline the back just a bit...

im nowhere NEAR the headliner and my line of sight is below the AS1 line on the windshield

16. Jan 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    im 6'3 and i got mine all the way back and reciled

Products Discussed in

To Top