1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Install a Viper 5704 Alarm/ Remote Start

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Riverdog, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Jul 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    I didn't do a tilt sensor. I figured the only reason is if your car is getting towed. Why would my truck get towed? Nobody steals 2013 Tacoma's and not in my neighborhood or where I go. Also, if it was so far that it was getting towed by a repo guy, you cant go out there and make them stop. Also, I would imagine that as he is pulling it up, my shock sensor would go off.

My shock sensor goes off quite easily. I can give a nice good bang on the window and it sets it right off. With my truck in the driveway and my motorcycle in my garage, if i start my bike and rev beyond 4,000 rpm, my truck goes off.

2. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Dang man. I was hoping it would be an easy fix for you. At least you can take it to a pro and have him figure it out.:thumbsup:

3. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I don't think I turned my shock sensor all the way up, but I don't really remember. I could be up all the way I suppose. If its not, its at least three-quarters of the way up. When I was fine tuning my shock sensor, I mounted in place and then hit the sensor itself as well as various places on the inside and outside of my truck. I kept doing that while turning the sensitivity knob to get it to an adjustment that I thought was adequate. Maybe mounting it and then fine tuning it would help? :confused:

And for the tilt sensor.... yeah, its takes more than 1 or 3 degrees to set it off. However, I think I remember there being a bit of a delay before I heard the alarm. So if you keep tilting it until you hear the alarm, you probably triggered it a second or so before actually hearing the siren. So maybe try tilting it in increments and then waiting a couple of seconds before tilting it more.

How's the glass break sensor working? Did you play around with the settings to try and get the remote start to work better?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  4. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    hey riverdog,

for the shock sensor, i'm gonna try to position it in different places and see if i can get it any better, i called a viper authorized dealer, and they suggested adding more shock sensors

for the tilt, i def left it plenty long with my rear tires off the ground, it does work, but i think the degree of movement is just too large to be effective, it might go off on a tow, but if the truck is getting towed, i think it'll set up the shock sensor anyway

i can't get the glass break sensor to go off by banging on the window, but i can set it off with change in a jar, so i know that works too

i programmed the remote start to be in tach mode, versus virtual tach, so i won't really know until it's cold, but it seems fine at the moment, i've tried using it everytime i get into the car.

thanks again for all your help everyone

5. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    You should probably call your installer and ask him if he wired up the tach wire. If he did, then you'll want to leave it on the Tachometer setting. He probably did wire it, but its still a good idea to check.

There's another way to wire the system without the tach wire. When its installed that way you would want it in Virtual Tach mode. That's the only time it should be in Virtual Tach mode.

6. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    yea i checked with him before i did anything, and he said he did wire it, i think it is just defaulted on virtual tach

7. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Perfect! Yeah, Virtual Tach is the default.

8. Jul 13, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    so i remote started it this morning and it started on first try, so that looks promising

does anybody have any issues with their dome light? not sure if this has a role in it, but mine are led and i have two lights under the steps wired into that circuit, anyways all my other doors will activate it, but my drivers won't do it ALL the time. I thought it coulda had something to do with clearing the triggered alarms by putting the key in the ignition, so yesterday i couldn't get the dome light on with the driver's door, lock it up, go to sleep, this morning it worked like normal, then after like 2 door closes, the dome light won't come on again, i put the key in, switch to on, then back off, and it still won't come on

9. Jul 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    bobin

bobin Member

Member:
    Oh, man. If i read this threat earlier and this can save me for $400 to install the alarm on my 06 regular cab

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  10. Jul 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    It's odd that your dome light works intermittently. I wonder if your installer left a piece of wire exposed or loose or something when he was looking for the door trigger wires. I know he ended up hooking the alarm up to the door ajar wire, but maybe he did something to a dome light wire or door trigger wire while he was looking for the door trigger wires. Thats the only thing I can think of as to why your dome light would work sometimes and not at other times. Sorry you're having problems with your system. I know how frustrating it can be; especially since you paid someone to install it. If we weren't at opposite ends of the country I'd offer to come over and help.

11. Jul 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Well now you've learned a valuable lesson: Check with TacomaWorld before doing anything to your truck. ;)

12. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    $400? was that just install?

13. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    bobin

bobin Member

Member:
    No, with the viper alarm and turn my manual door lock to power lock. Without the power door lock it cost me around $269 plus tax at Audio Epress

14. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    yea i'm trying to keep an eye on it and seeing what it does, i also think it could be the door trigger that he was trying to find for just the driver's door, because it can't be the door ajar because the other ones work normal, also, the dome light is now hooked up to my door lock/unlock, because it will go on and off even if i do it manually, that's not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

Yea it's pretty frustrating to not have it done perfectly after paying so much, I can def take it back to him, but it's intermittent, but I guess he can check the wires, but also it's about 1 hr 10 min each way, i appreciate your help, and yea if I was local I def would have rather paid you to install it rather than most shops. I really love the features, but i'm actually quite dissappointed in the sensitivity of all the sensors, i kinda think our trucks are either so solid or so big, that it doesn't transfer the shock well. Which i guess is a good thing, but my wife has a regular viper alarm on her celica from 2003, and the shock sensor works 10x better, but the car is small and fragile, that you can really see the difference in shock

15. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    oh i see, so you didn't have the 5704 installed?

I almost thought about doing it myself, and this thread was the only thing that almost gave me courage, but the remote start and the engine immobilizer seemed like more hassle than it was worth

16. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    bobin

bobin Member

Member:
    Do you know how to bypass the clutch to do the remote stater . Mine is stick

Thank you

17. Jul 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    i just glanced through bulldog wiring diagram, is there a clutch wire? i know the default to remote start is set on manual, i know that's not very helpful, but that means I think these units were intended to use with manual as well.

18. Jul 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I don't know how, but I looked it up and found something. Its for a 2009 Tacoma so the wire colors might be different than in your 2006. You'll need to install a relay in order to bypass the clutch. Here's how to wire the relay:

Relay Pin 85 to Viper 4704V H2/3 BLUE/WHITE (-) 200mA 2ND STATUS /REAR DEFOGGER OUTPUT (make sure to set it to "2nd Status")
    Relay Pin 86 to +12V constant thru 3 A fuse
    Relay Pin 87 to Tacoma Clutch Blue/Black input wire
    Relay Pin 30 to Tacoma Clutch Black/Yellow output wire
    Relay Pin 87A not used - insulate

MAKE SURE WHEN YOU TEST YOUR MANUAL TRANSMISSION TRUCK WITH A REMOTE START THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS SET AND YOU'RE IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT. I don't want you driving completely through your garage. :eek:

19. Sep 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    mds2004

mds2004 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner
    Once the once remote start is activated and you want jump in the truck you just turn the key correct?

Well when I do this maybe 60% of the time the truck dies. Sometimes it dies instantly, and sometimes it dies after like two seconds. Other times it will stay on.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

20. Sep 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    stractman

stractman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB TRD sport, 4x4
    it will die if you press the brake pedal before turning the key. be sure you keep your foot off the pedal and then turn the key. if you're turning the key and it's just dying, best of luck trying to figure out the issue. i don't know.

Products Discussed in

To Top