1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to install brush guard?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DaytonLax14, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    DaytonLax14

DaytonLax14 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    98 extended cab TRD Off Road
    I just got a Hunter brush guard for Christmas, but the darn thing didn't come with any instructions. Has anyone installed one of these that could possibly help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

a_camp_ likes this.
  2. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Try looking on-line type in the brand name and google it. Or go outside and size it up. The ones I have seen need like 6 bolts.

3. Dec 25, 2009 at 10:33 AM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I googled for directions, but didn't have any luck. It came with the bolts and things, but there are 4 different brackets: 2 larger ones, and 2 smaller ones. I can't figure out where these brackets connect to my truck. I am supposed to not need to drill anything, but I'm having a hard time lining up the brackets.

4. Dec 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    not to mention the bolts that are bolted onto the tow hook are a real bitch to get off. I was using my whole body weight pulling against them and they still won't budge.

5. Dec 25, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    if anyone has any ideas as to how to get the tow hook bolts off, please post up. When I tried to take them off a little while ago, my bit extender on my ratchet broke because of how stuck on they are:eek:. Are they welded in there or anything?

6. Dec 25, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you will have the crank the shit outta tow hook bolts...they are on there pretty good. maybe use an electric impact to loosen them.

the 2 big brackets go on the bottom where the tow hooks are....reuse tow hooks and bolts. the smaller brackets go in the bumper inner corners....thru the aluminum bumper mounts. then...mount the brush guard and level it.

[​IMG]

you can kinda see the smaller bracket in the corner there....

7. Dec 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Well, I don't have access to an electric impact, nor the air compressor. Did you use an electric impact to get yours off?

Also, my truck doesn't look the same as yours as to where you put the smaller brackets. It's as if the smaller brackets don't work for my truck.

This is turning out to be a shit load harder than I thought.

8. Dec 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Most dealerships would be more than happy to loosen those bolts for ya. You should try contacting the manufacturer of the brush guard and see what they recommend. Might just be you have to wrong one for your truck.

9. Dec 25, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i loosened my bolts with a breaker bar.....good half inch one with a short impact socket.

and yeah...being as yous is a 98....the brackets may go a lil different.

10. Dec 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I think I'm going to head to Sear's tomorrow and pick up a real long breaker bar and see if that will do the trick. I'll let you all know if it does.

11. Dec 26, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Alright, well I ended up going to Lowe's and getting a 36" piece of steel pipe to put around the handle of my ratchet for extra leverage. Only cost me $10 and I'm just going to return it tomorrow. That piece of pipe did the trick:D Just got done getting the sucker installed.

14xgin4_3503443909f533e2de8c665133730ab0b5a111ea.jpg

12. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    bak3rme

bak3rme Member

Member:
    i did a google search and i ran across this post, i'm trying to install a brush guard myself on my 3rd gen T4R, and noticed that we both have the same problem lol. As for removing the tow hooks, its simple, just bring it into your local jiffy lube or tire place and ask them to remove it for you, it should cost like 5 dollars and sometimes they just dont ask for anything, just a tip. I got mine removed for 5 bucks at a oil change place

and thats about how far i got lol, if you guys could please clearify how to do this , i would apriciate it, i think i got my mounting brackets on wrong, i dont feel like typing it all but here is my post on yotatech, if you could just please read it then answer here that would be good.

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/need-some-help-mounting-brush-guard-please-200592/

13. Jan 5, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Cheater bar...its prolly lock tite or torque like a mofo. You have to have some connection in town with your local shop. Im sure they will remove that for you with their impact wrench.

14. Jan 5, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    Gr8WhiteTaco

Gr8WhiteTaco bishes love my haircut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD 02 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    2005 Mazda 3S hatchback
    Those tow hooks are a mess to get off. You still needing directions/help?

15. Jan 5, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Did you end up using all the parts they supplied you with? I had a 98 4Runner and when I bought the brush guard they gave me 2 extra mounting brackets that were supposed to be mounted thru the center part of the brush gaurd into the front grill for more support. But in order to mount the second brackets I would of had to cut the front bumper which wasn't going to happen. I also wouldn't suggest using the tow hooks. After I install my brush guard on my 4Runner I put the tow hooks back on over the brackets and eventually ended up try to us the tow hooks to pull a guy that slid off the road out. Just a few tugs and it completely bent my brackets almost ripping off the whole brush guard. Thankfully the hook bent out releasing the tow strap. Glad you finally got the guard on your truck. Looks good!

16. Jan 5, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    yeah it came with 2 extra brackets that would require me to cut through the bumper/grill. heck no I'm not doing that so I just said screw it. So now I just have the 2 bottom brackets. Seems to work just fine. I get a little side to side wobble when I hit bumps in the road, but it seems to be okay.

Products Discussed in

To Top