1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to look for a job that offer relocation

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Xaks, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Jan 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    Xaks

Xaks [OP] Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    This might sound silly, but so far I've come up blank!

The wife and I have (for personal reasons) avoided settling in to any particular area, as her family situation has been kind of...weird. At any rate, we needed the ability to, at the drop of a hat, gather up our stuff and move halfway across the country on short notice if need be to take care of children and disabled parents.

Well, we're up to the point now where we don't need to shoulder this responsibility any more. As of now, we can go anyplace, buy a house, settle in, and start thinking about retirement in 25 years.

To not put a fine point on it....Florida fucking sucks. I've put up with it for 13 years now, and while I *could* live right here for another 13 without a problem, I'd really prefer not to. However...I can't seem to find work in other places by searching for job listings that DO offer relocation!

What I end up with at any of the major 'net job boards is listings that say "relocation assistance not available" clogging up any search that I try to do where it IS available. Since most of the boards use a logical approach to data storage (either boolean-type or straight text table, a'la SQL), they ignore the whole 'not' part and they return that as a positive result of the search. *sigh*

So, I'm stuck randomly searching by hand job postings in random places all over the country. I could spend the rest of my life doing this and never get anywhere!

This sucks.

SO! I turn instead to my fellow Taco fiends. How does one go about looking FOR a job that offers relocation, rather than one that doesn't?

(as an aside, my info can be found in the 'what do you do for a living' thread, or feel free to ask via PM / email)

I really don't care where I live, as a Wisconsinite now in Florida I can tolerate any weather you throw at me. My wife is from upstate New York and can handle it as well.

2. Jan 24, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    SuperTacoma

SuperTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    11 Toyota Prerunner TRD PKG
    Factory Mods Ventshades Bug Deflector Magnaflow Muffler Solid Fold Extang Cover Pop Lock Helix Power Tower Westin Brush Guard Westin Nerf Bars color match Scoop Hood
    Your skill set is going to have a lot to do with it. It has to be desirable skill. There are very companies offer relocation assistance.
    But if you do a job that is in high demand then you can narrow it down some.
    Can you search for relocation assistance available using a web search instead of on an actual job site? Then it might give you listings on careerbuilder, monster etc.

3. Jan 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    Xaks

Xaks [OP] Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    What I've tried has given me way too many results to be actually be useful, as far as web searches go. Or, like I said, you can't say "search for terms : relocation assistance available, but not NOT", so the return result is more of exactly what you DON'T want!

Part of the problem is also the skillset I bring to the table. I'm pretty non-specialized and highly adaptable, which make most bureaucrats and office-type folks trip over themselves trying to understand and rejecting me for out of hand. I work for a living, which they usually just don't "get".

To Top