1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to lower driver seat??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Denteen, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    Denteen

Denteen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Central valley CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    TRD Pro suspension-2nd Gen Frontrunner bed rack Tacowiede radio knobs! Best mod everrrr!!! DSM mount Wheel swap to OR’s. For now... Gone-2005 DC Icon Stage 2 with Rear Resis;ICON 3 leaf AAL installed! Gone-2001 xcab 4x4 4cyl 5spd. Best truck ever...
    Has anyone found a way to lower the driver seat for more headroom?
    I did a quick search, havent found anything.
    I'm only 6' tall, but have to squish my neck to get in there!
    Dont make me sell this thing to buy a full size Ford! Help!!!

2. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Don't recall anyone shortening their seats.

I'm 6'3 and don't have any issues.

3. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    andjenliang

andjenliang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andew
    LBC/OC/LAX
    Vehicle:
    10 DCSB PreRunner V6 TRD Off Road
    Stock
    5' 11" here no problems with head space. perhaps you should tilt your seat back more? the only time when my head come even close to the ceiling is when i sit up straight as if i was in the attention position.

4. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    llibrm

llibrm OH NOOOOOO!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Winthrop, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB, 06 LC120 (sold)
    Pelfreybilt Aluminum Bumper, KING 2.5 on all four corners, 4x4 illuminated switch, Cobra 75 w/ 3' Firestick, 2M/ 70cm Radio w/ Diamond NR770HB, Pelfreybilt bed bar, Lightforce Stiker 170s, BD 20" OnX6, BD S2 ditch lites, BD Fogs
    I'm 6'8" and have no issues. Raised the mirror (thanks ImMrYo) and seat to the furthest position back. It takes getting used to the in and out procedure but simple and no complaints. Even my Bro at 6'5" has no problems driving the taco.

5. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob

Never seen it done, not that it hasn't. However if Josh and Bill have no issues...........:notsure:
    Alas, in reference to the rear-view mirror lowering thread, which has been quite popular here..................hope this link helps.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ear-view-mirror-lift-bracket.html#post4765825

6. Jan 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    l7d7s7

l7d7s7 New Member

Member:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2011 4WD
    Off-road, Tow package
    I am 6'1". I had to remove the visor to see better. I have to sit up straight because of my back. I still need another inch. Please, is there a way to lower the seat?

7. Feb 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    Muskwa

Muskwa I don't roll on Saturday

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SB SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    I agree with Denteen and l7d7s7.

I'm 6'2" and I have to duck my head to look under that "green horizontal tinting stripe" on the windshield when driving.

I've noticed the passenger seat sits a little lower than the driver's seat.

I would be nice to lower the driver's seat a bit.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  8. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I've heard of people swapping in seats from a Celica. They might be lower.

9. Mar 1, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    Muskwa

Muskwa I don't roll on Saturday

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SB SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    I heard the '13 Tacoma driver's seat has a up/down adjustment.

I wonder if you would gain more headroom if you installed a seat from a '13? and how expensive it would be?

10. Mar 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    unclemike

unclemike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4
    No adjustments in the 12, 13 or 14.

11. Mar 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Was this not apparent at the test drive ?

:notsure:

12. Jun 1, 2016 at 8:13 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    sell it

get a Ford

end of thread.

otherwise deal with it or measure the bolt spacing and go buy a replacement seat
    such as a land cruiser seat, 4runner seat, or whatever fits the bolt spacing

lots of toyota seats are interchangable (or they used to be anyway)
    example: you could install Supra seats in 4runners back in the day...

or remove seat take to a reupholsterer and have them install flatter cushion
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    further note: Nanny warning
    be sure that if you ever resell the truck and you have modified the seat in
    any way you are responsible for disclosing the potential driver safety defect you created by modifying the seat

the stock seat assembly, rails, bolts, tracks are all rated and part of an integrated system
    for crash survivablity, and mods of any type render OEM driver seat safety null.

13. Jun 1, 2016 at 8:23 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    forum troller LOL

how 'bout cold slap of reality ?

look in the mirror, bubbles

14. Jun 4, 2016 at 2:08 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    I had a problem with a tall friend of mine back a few years .

The simple way for me to lower the seat was to drop the floor in the area where the seat attaches .

Without looking I can`t say just how much one could lower it but should be plenty .

It comes down to just how bad you need this done or if it is easier to sell the truck.

Being a unwelder limits your choices in quite a few things

15. Sep 13, 2017 at 2:35 PM
    Jrmamba22

Jrmamba22 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    Just to clarify for everyone. The premium technology package that includes the sunroof has an interior ceiling height that is lower then the base SR5 models with no sunroof. I keep reading that 6'3" people fit fine. I have the sunroof and I'm 6'1" and my hair hits the roof. (I have a large torso). The area where the sunroof is located is the height of a regular interior ceiling and dips down around the exterior of the sunroof to accommodate the track. This is a problem for taller drivers including my self because regardless of whether you have the premium technology package with the sunroof or not, the seats are mounted at the same height in both types. There has to be a way to lower the seat even a half inch to get that bit of room you miss out on because of the sunroof. Any suggestions would be amazing. I've thought about getting the seats shaved down but I'm not sure. Not a huge issue but if I'm feeling overly OCD one day I tend to notice.

16. Sep 13, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    vram74

vram74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    I got the same problem. I'm 6'1" and have to scrunch to get in. Don't like it but it's better than laying on my ass to get into my old Honda.

NM Lance likes this.
  17. Sep 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    NM Lance

NM Lance Well-Known Member

Member:
    Same issue here at 6'2". It was normal for the test drive, then I added a tightly-fitted seat cover that doesn't allow me to sink into the seat as far. I've thought about getting the driver's seat reupholstered, or possibly swapping the seat out with that of a Camry.

LOL I guess it wouldn't kill me to remove the seat cover.

18. Sep 13, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    LeftCoastNerd

LeftCoastNerd Old 'nuff to know betta

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    08 AC 4x4 OR 6sp
    I do wish you could change the angle of the lower cushion up/down, the way I can with my older Mercedes and my old Volvo, I find this really useful on long drives in those cars, I'll raise/lower the front of the cushion just a hair, to change the pressure under my thighs.

Do the "Limited' trim 4Runners have height adjustable power seats? If so, I bet the equiv generation 4Runner seats are bolt-in on a Tacoma, I believe a gen4 4Runner is equiv to a gen2 Tacoma... Of course, you'd need to wire power to them, and the seat controls if they aren't mounted directly on the seats. Another option might be the Lexus GX470 'J120' from 2003-2009, its the same chassis as the 4Runner gen4, and they tend to be loaded with luxojunk.

Some googling of pictures of 4Runner/Lexus power seats suggests the controls are ON the seats, this makes life MUCH easier, you just need to run power. I did this on a Volvo 740, took power seats from a later 940 and ran the power to them... I was able to snag the power pigtail from the donor car so I didn't need to hack up the seat wiring, just wire the pigtail to suitable fused power on the 740 (lots of current!) and bolt the seats down and plug them in. On the Lexus, do watch out for things like side curtain airbags in the upper seat bolsters, you don't want to accidentally set those things off.

As someone said, sunroofs lower the ceiling by a couple inches.

Products Discussed in

To Top