1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to make 30%+ Hp and Tq... (maybe)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06TRDZombieHunter, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 2, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    06TRDZombieHunter

06TRDZombieHunter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB
    K&N Intake System Port and Polish of TB x2 E3 Diamondfire Sparkplugs 2.5" Leveling kit 32" BFG A/Ts Zombie Response decals Custom painted grill, trim under headlights, scoop, intake and manifold. No more mud flaps, Temp gauge inside intake box, BHLM, extra D-rings in front of bed, No more plastic storage box behind rear seats. More to come.
    So forced induction has been proven power for decades.. some of the members on here are rocking the TRD Supercharger... I want to know if anyone has installed a Turbocharger on the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6. . . I hear of Squires Turbo Systems, or STS remote mount turbos and they seem awesome, but how to get a setup for less than $6,000.00!! :eek:

I want to know how much boost the TRD superchargers give, how much power they make with a decent tune.

If anybody has a turbo on a 4x4, first of all. . props to not conforming to the norm! secondly what size turbo, area ratio, trim, compressor, turbine, how much boost, what numbers have you dyno'd etc...

Im not very well versed in the BOOST world, but I understand the concepts.

My pipe dream here is to piece together my own original rear mount turbo system, get a URD product to optimize the ECU for boost and get something like 350Hp out of the V6.

I am ready for whatever comes to everyone's mind... Dumb idea, not feasible, not possible without $$$$ but lets get these gears turning until they burn!

Thanks!

2. Mar 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    do it....

3. Mar 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I have the TRD Supercharger, its nice.

4. Mar 2, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    look up this guy on xr-underground.com Torspd he has the sts but has done some serious mods to the system.

5. Mar 2, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Turbos are awesome. If it works for cummins.... it has to be truck ready right?
    Make sure you get a wicked blow off valve though.. ha ha...

Seriously, not sure about turbo on medium sized engines, but in general, turbo is the way to go vs super charger.

6. Mar 2, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    i cant really give any input about the charger.......<<<<< mine is blown:D

7. Mar 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I would be very suspicious of the STS turbo's throttle response. It mounts too far from the engine.

8. Mar 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    06TRDZombieHunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB
    K&N Intake System Port and Polish of TB x2 E3 Diamondfire Sparkplugs 2.5" Leveling kit 32" BFG A/Ts Zombie Response decals Custom painted grill, trim under headlights, scoop, intake and manifold. No more mud flaps, Temp gauge inside intake box, BHLM, extra D-rings in front of bed, No more plastic storage box behind rear seats. More to come.
    Yeah, I watched all his videos.. Very cool trucks. Only irritating part is the loud music in each film over the engine sounds... Cool clips though

As far as I can tell the videos from STS and from individuals on youtube there is little to no lag... I think the trick is finding the proper size turbo... too small and you wont get a big performance gain and might choke the exhaust up... too big and you'll get lots of lag and may never spin the turbo up enough to unleash its maximum potential... its a Goldylocks story.

9. Mar 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    06TRDZombieHunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB
    Can anyone get this Torspd to PM me? I dont have yahoo messenger and would like to pick his brain... in a non zombie fashion.

Thanks

10. Mar 2, 2011 at 11:48 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    My only thing w/ a turbo on the truck is that you have to wait for lag...especially if you want bigger hp. So it sort of ruins low end, even more so if you change compression. I guess it all depends on your goals for the truck. If its just 350hp, I'd think a SC is more feasable, especially if you consider $

11. Mar 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Forced induction is always a hot topic. Unfortunately either the turbo or a supercharger will both have their down sides. You will only get top end power out of a turbo setup which may not be best for your 4x4 or even the 1GFE as you have a much lower rev limit then your usual 4 banger. If you want added low torque then your going to want a supercharger. The only downside to a supercharger is a reduction in efficiency as the engine will be bogged down trying to spin that blower rather then having your exhaust gases blow a turbine in a turbo. Either way your going to be doing a major mod thats going to rack up to $5k easily. Your gonna need to change out a lot of parts on top of just adding some kind of blower and inter-cooler. What are you going to use the 30% gain for in the first place would be a good starting question. From my knowledge the cheapest way to get to 350 hp is a TRD supercharger, ECU upgrade and a different pulley ratio that increases your boost higher then what the TRD supercharger normally pushes.

But to be honest I'm just bored and avoiding homework so yeah just my .02

12. Mar 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    06TRDZombieHunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB

Lol. A fellow procrastinator. I'm actually in A&P as I type this... I know I'll develop some lead foot syndrome if I boost my truck, but honestly I would like to see some mileage gain, and have some more power to play with when I get frisky or go off road.. Since I have no play money and have lots of time I will keep researching a low boost system possibly from a small turbo. Should keep the boost in the low rpm powerband.

13. Mar 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    There is alot of knowledge here but forces induction is not a huge topic here. You would get better answers over at www.xr-underground.com

14. Mar 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    KalamaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    Where did u go to A&P school?

15. Mar 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I can assure you all that there is almost no lag with an STS system at anything under about 8 lbs of boost... I have ridden in Rick Squire's truck before and that first gen runs like a champ! No lag... he is on an electronic boost controller that feeds the system with methanol when he calls for anything over 8 lbs of boost. Torspd is a member on here if I remember correctly. I have pmed him a few times, but I can get his username. Ill look through my old pms

16. Mar 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    06TRDZombieHunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB
    I'm currently doing the prerequisites for Paramedic at PCC in Portland. Just two terms of Bio left. Already work for an ambulance co so should be smooth sailing from there on..

17. Mar 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    KalamaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    Yeah I'm going to bust out that A&P program at PCC this Sept. Gotta use my MGIB for something...

Products Discussed in

To Top