1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to remove the hoodscoop innards to modify?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sofiasdad11, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    hey fellas, sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn't find it anywhere on the sight. installed the silver grillcraft mesh 4-pc. package and want to do the scoop. grillcraft doesn't make one though they do sell just the mesh. removed the visible nuts under the hood but still seems fastened. any idea how to remove this thing? anyone perform this mod yet? thanks all......:rolleyes:

2. Jun 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    Jake7

Jake7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Tritown Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    aFe CAI, TRD S/C with 2.8 URD Pulley, Doug Thorley long tube headers, AFE Y pipe, Banks monster exhaust
    Once you remove the 4 bolts, look for a hole in the center between them. That should contain a philips head screw that you must also remove. Not sure how to remove the mesh because i've never tried. I did mod mine to be "functional" but as to how well it works or if it makes any difference I don't know. All I did to mod it was take my dremel tool and cut off the very back of the insert. Don't have pics or access to my truck for several months so I can't get any pics loaded either. Additionally, there is a hood support directly behind the scoop so that will limit airflow through the scoop as well. Honestly, it's probably a waste of time to do this but if you go ahead with it try to get some temperature data before and after in the engine compartment. That way you'll be able to actually prove it at least affects engine bay temp. Hope this helps, goodluck.

3. Jun 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    thanks levi!!!!! your right, i was situated on a small ladder to access the hoodscoop (the trucks lifted:)) and wasn't able to see that phillips---doh! spoke with grillcraft and their sending me some extra mesh to hopefully modify an insert for the scoop. surprised haven't seen it done here before but most guys are doing all black so keep the oem black. i chose the silver for some "pop" seeing as the truck is black. hopefully can figure out how to install the mesh, though it is raw, not powdercoated. have a nice weekend!

4. Jun 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    Kuma

Kuma Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Please post pics when your done. Was looking to do the same on mine.

5. Jun 21, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
    I removed my scoop and took it apart. Drilling out the rivets was the pain. I put an LED scanner behind my scoop.

Products Discussed in

To Top