1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to replace outer cv boot?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by adower, May 5, 2015.

1. May 5, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    adower

adower [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is there a write up on how to replace the outer cv boot for a 00 tacoma. I've searched a most people seem to replace the whole axle. However, I dont want to spend the extra money as the boot just ripped.

Thanks!

2. Jul 4, 2015 at 9:54 PM
    bawilson21

bawilson21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    WA
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 V6 4x4 5-speed
    Rear Diff Breather Extension Deck Plate Mod 31" Destination A/T 3" Body Lift Rancho 5000 Shocks Grey Wire 7Pin Tow harness
    I think you have to pull the axel to replace the boot. I need to replace both of my outer boots. They are OEM and I'm off the frame set that the OEM axles are the best quality you can get.
    If be interested to find a write up as well. I'd search but I'm on my phone..

3. Jul 5, 2015 at 1:29 AM
    DrZ

DrZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    96 2.4L 5-speed
    It explains how to do it in the Toyota repair manual. I prefer to keep the original parts and just replace the boots myself.

In short, you need to take the axle off then disassemble the inner joint, then both boots come off toward the center. When disassembling the inner joint you need to mark the orientation between the inboard joint tulip and drive shaft so you can put it back the same way to keep the wear pattern matched up. You also need to make matchmarks on the inner tripod joint and driveshaft, then use snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring and slide the tripod joint off. Now you can slide the boots off and on.

4. Jul 5, 2015 at 6:08 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    For the labor involved I just went with New Axles.

No telling how much dirt and winter chemicals had got inside mine Not something I want to find out needs replaced after things are apart .

Perhaps I will rebuild the old ones I bought the Boot kits from my dealer just to many other projects .

Products Discussed in

To Top