1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to sell stuff on the web?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TacoSupreem, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem [OP] Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Hello! I was wondering how to sell something on the web. I have several things like truck parts that i would like to sell, but i never could figure out how to receive the buyers payment? I see these things like google payment and paypal but not sure how to use them? Could someone be so kind as to help me out on this one. Please bare with me as i just got my first computer six months ago! thanks

2. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    Most people use Paypal. All you have to do is register and you can use your credit card for payments.

3. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    paypal

4. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    ok so i have to register with paypal? Then how does the money get into my account?
    Do i have to give paypal my account number?

5. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Paypal is like an online account that is linked to your actual bank account. To pay people, paypal withdraws money from your account and deposits it into the receivers paypal. The receiver then transfers that money to their account.

6. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    ColdZeroBSP

ColdZeroBSP Yo homie, that my briefcase?

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Tewksbury MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC
    console vault, viper remote start, weathertech front and rears
    By web do you mean ebay? Ebay's the easiest way to get started selling anything online. Paypal is basically a mediator of funds between you and a buyer/seller. You create your Paypal account and associate a credit card with it. When you sell something and the buyer pays with paypal, your paypal account balance will go up. If you then buy something using paypal it will be deducted from your currency balance. If there's not enough funds in your paypal account then the remainder will go on your credit card. You can also link a checking account to your Paypal account if you don't want to use a credit card but I don't trust anyone else with my account number so I just use a cc.

Paypal will hold any balance for 21 days or until you receive feedback on an item that you sold. Once that happens the hold is released. Then you can either buy things online using your paypal acccount, have them send you a check (for a small fee), or get the Paypal debit card and use it where ever you want.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    ok thanks! so say i was to sell some tacoma parts on tw. if it sold today would i have to wait three weeks to use the money?

8. Feb 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    wmflyfisher

wmflyfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    ** Just a warning for everyone who uses paypal/ebay **

I've been using Paypal/Ebay for 8-9 years now with no big problems and made thousands of bucks. About a month ago I sold an iphone on Ebay as I have done many times in the past and the buyer opened a claim the day that it arrived stating that the item was "significantly not as described". I started investigating and he stated that EVERYTHING was in the package that I sent EXCEPT the actual iphone itself. Original box, usb cord, power plug and all. I was 100% sure that I sent eveything including the phone.

Long story short... Paypal sided with the buyer and deducted $540 bucks out of my account and there was absolutely nothing that I could do about it. I couldn't prove that he took the phone out of the box nor could I prove that someone had stollen it along the way. His ebay feedback led me to believe that he did scam me though.

I was so furious that I called Paypal like 5 times. I was nice on the phone and explained that I had given them hundreds even thousands of dollars. They eventually refunded me $300 (which is what I asked for) but this was very uncommon. I read many reviews online regarding this type of issue and 95% of the time the seller will get zero back in cases where items are "significantly not as described".

So basically yeah, you can send someone something and they can claim not to get it and they will get 100% of their money back and you will be left with nothing. Paypal also told me that I'm 100% responsible for the item until it arrives in their hands. Even if it is stolen out of the package along the way and postal insurance will not cover this. This info is listed in their "Terms and Agreement".

Sorry this is so long. Just wanted to share my experience. Am I still using paypal?? Yes. I still probably would be even if they didn't give me a $300 refund. $300 is nothing compared to what I've made over the past 8-9 years. Yes it is a risk that I'm willing to take.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Feb 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    When I sold more expensive items I always transferred the funds to my account and out of that account right away just in case someone pulled funny shit like that. Paypal is shady and I can't wait until google runs them in the ground. They deserve to be out of business.

10. Feb 14, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    wmflyfisher

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Still doesn't matter. I pulled the funds right when I got paid but paypal still deducted funds and I had a $540 negative balance in my account. They can and will do anything :)

11. Feb 14, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    I'd just tell my bank it was an unauthorized withdraw.

12. Feb 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Hmm interesting

13. Feb 14, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    TacoSupreme

TacoSupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    007 DC Cuatro Por Cuatro
    I need to change my name?

14. Feb 14, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport

hahaha great minds think alike!:cheers:

15. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    wmflyfisher

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    They took the money out of my paypal account and not my bank account so basically I had to come out of the hole $540 before I could make anymore money on Paypal. Just want to clarify that there was no way around it. I got screwed by paypal but it states in their terms and agreement that the seller is 100% responsible for the package until it arrives to the buyer so they got you by the nuts there! I'm lucky because I got the $300 refund but a refund in that situation is very uncommon.

16. Feb 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    Man...that sucks. I've always loathed paypal...they've been pathetic in protecting me as a buyer in my experiences. Had to fall back on my credit card to get my money back on times when stuff wasn't sent or was completely f'ed when I got it.

Products Discussed in

To Top