1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HOW TO SEND A LARGE PACKAGE ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sofiasdad11, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    hello all, i have a large package (that's what she said) attempting to send to a fellow TW'er; full set of oem flares in a box roughly 5' x 3' x 10" deep and no more than 20lbs. tried usps online and their site stated the package was too large. everyone's closed today (sunday) so no one to call. so, any ideas who to try next? hoping to keep costs down of course. btw, tried CL to no avail. any and all suggestions welcome:D

2. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you could probably get a greyhound bus delivery for pretty cheap.

3. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    US postal service only handles small packages, pretty much only there packaging. UPS is what you need. UPS store could also ship it. If thats too long for them, shouldnt be, then UPS or YRC.com freight shipping.

4. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    UPS or FedEx will ship that for ya

5. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    It looked like about $180 to go from Dallas to Seattle at Ground and 100 in declared value.

You can go to theupsstore.com and get a very detailed quote anytime

6. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    know of any local businesses that deal with large freight? you might could go down to one you're friends with and have it put on a truck and let them do all the work.

7. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    sofiasdad11

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    that sounds pretty complicated;) seriously, discovered at usps site can ship "parcel post" up to 130" but when entered the info, they again stated " your package is too large.." prob try ups tomorrow. thanks, fellas:)

8. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  9. Feb 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    Taco76087

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    X2 on this it really is pretty easy (I work at The UPS Store)

Only thing is we can also give you a quote rather than going through everything and figuring out it is too much $$

10. Feb 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    One of my jobs is shipping stuff for a fairly large company. The threshold for large packages is 130 inches of girth (2H + 2W + L). Beyond that they should still ship it out for you, but there will be additional fees.

11. Feb 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    sofiasdad11

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    yes, that woulda been cool:cool: almost forgot about that one. sending out some different items to iowa and jersey, and receiving something from a fellow TW'er in nevada. i like craigslist, but i've been f'd over twice there, waiting for someone who pulled out @ the last minute. whereas have had nothing but good experiences with TW members:D

12. Feb 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    brp

brp Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have heard that Fastenal has a shipping service between their stores. You could try them.

I know this does not apply for you, but if anybody wants to ship stuff in the Midwest, use SpeeDee Delivery. It is usually ships overnight, and always cheap, even for large/heavy stuff.

13. Feb 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I shipped an OEM bed divider through UPS and it ended up being pretty spendy. Granted they added a few bucks extra to it cause it wasn't in a box and I just had the thing wrapped in a a couple inches of bubble wrap and cardboard lol.

14. Feb 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Yeah, when I shipped flares to another member, I paid through the nose for shipping.

First off, box them up as compact as you can without folding/damaging the flares. You're paying more money by the inch here. If you've "over-boxed" them, it'll be worth your while to do it again smaller.

Then UPS retail (what you pay for local pickup or at the UPS store) was a little over 90 bucks for the box I had.

I managed to finagle a deal with a local business that has a UPS account, where I paid them cash at their UPS high volume discount rate; and that was about sixty bucks. They said they were doing it for me as a favor, but they also kindly requested me not to bug them in the future, since I'm not a regular customer and they don't make any money for taking on the hassle.

15. Feb 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    :laugh:

16. Feb 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    /\/\ this

17. Feb 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    sofiasdad11

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    :eek: STEP 6: pay $158 for cheapest UPS shipping option. fabricated a box just slightly larger than the flares, though well-packaged, and @ only 19 lbs. still $158..............wtf choice did i have? granted the box was large @ roughly 5'x3'x10"deep...........but come on...........oh, well@least a fellow TW'er will be happy:)

18. Feb 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    Taco76087

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Dementional weight although it may only weigh 19 pounds it is shipping at probably around 100 pounds due to the amount of room it takes up on the truck. No way around that if that's the smallest box it can fit in.

19. Feb 11, 2012 at 5:23 AM
    tacopromatt

tacopromatt Matt's Pro Taco (SOLD)

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Tacoma TRD Pro AT
    Give uShip.com a try (FYI, I did work there for 8 years). It's like eBay for shipping. You post your item and truckers/hotshotters bid for the right to ship your item. There is an "auto parts" category that might work for you. Truckers will try to fill their truck to offset back-hauls so you might save some money when compared to UPS/Freight which does become exponentially expensive as your shipments gets larger.

It's free to post so there's not much to lose. Take this for what you will from an ex-employee. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top