1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to think about your favorite firearm...

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Agent475, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Jun 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    lazaro

lazaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garry
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC BSP 4X4 TRD Off-road
    Stainless Nfab Steps painted black, Acces Tonneau cover, LED dome and map lights, Weathertech floor mats, EGR slimline visors, Wicked Flow 13 mufflers, ultragauge and 4X4 illuminated switch mod, receiver shackle from Timichi and Redline QL plus hood struts.
    LOL! Yes sir.:D

I was fondling my Les Baer 1911 and boy this thing will definitely crack heads open if enough force is applied.

2. Jun 25, 2010 at 4:42 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    To use a Baer as a club is blasphemous.

3. Jun 25, 2010 at 4:50 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Cool head and bullet placement trump mag capacity 9/10 times.
    I'd rather blaspheme than be dead;)

4. Jun 25, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I hope you're joking because that is one of the most retarded arguments I've ever heard in support of a 1911. I could knock the shit out of somebody with any pistol, even the plastic ones. Not to mention most all pistols, not just 1911's, are steel construction anyway. I'd rather have more ammo though.

"All American" says the guy on a forum for Japanese trucks.:laugh:

5. Jun 25, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I was joking, but here is my official stance:
    I like putting large, ragged, JHP holes in bad guys. My SigNitron 1911 goes bang when I pull the trigger, hits where I aim, and can put 9 rounds out before reload. I will be carrying 2 spare mags.
    Fact of the matter is, though, most pistol encounters happen at short range. By the time you draw, aim, and shoot, your target may have closed distance and grabbed your gun(jamming it).
    Prepare for all possible encounters/problems, and pray to never have to use that training.
    Check out Massad Ayoob as well as Force Science Institute Training. Good stuff:)

6. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I figured you were joking but you never know. Your "official stance" seems sound and well thought out. There are unfortunately some complete moron gun owners with retarded reasons for their trains of thought (i.e. seen one too many "shoot 'em up" movies). These are the guys that hold their Glock sideways while shooting.

While I own several autoloaders, my chosen defense pieces for carry and home defense are revolvers. They're simple (the less shit that can go wrong, the better). One does not need worry about spring tension, safeties, jams, etc. I shoot them just as, if not more accurately than autos. Importantly, my wife is also more confident with a revolver (God I hope not, but she may be involved in the situation when the shit hits the fan). The drawback is obviously the lack of a double stack mag with 15 million rounds packed into it.

For carry, I have a Ruger LCR with laser grips. It houses 38 +p Gold Dots. It's small, it's lightweight, and I feel a revolver's outline breaks up easier than an autos.

For home, I have a Ruger SP101 with the larger 3" barrel. I'd prefer something larger framed but again, my wife plays a roll in the decision. Her hands are the size of a ten year-old and she just can't get enough purchase on anything bigger. It houses 357 magnum Gold Dots for short barrels. They are lighter recoil and lower flash but still quite powerful.

Probably not the sexiest choices I could make but if things turn south, I doubt I'll care too much how sexy I look.

7. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    I agree, sexy is not important in a gunfight, lol.
    I like/dislike revolvers for the same reasons as you. I'm told that a shotgun is best for home defense, but the rule still holds true: In a gunfight, have a gun. Also, use what you have and shoot as fast as you can accurately, but no faster.
    I'm going to get a shotgun eventually. I'm impressed by the Benelli Vinc. I need to shoot one to see if it's worth it. It's supposed to manage recoil very well. No trashed shoulder and cheek after hundreds of shells.
    Great, now I need to go and get my range time fix;)

8. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Shotguns are great. I have several, including a Benelli (awesome). They can be difficult to store in a quick, yet safe and out of the way location. This especially holds for me because I have small children in the house. There just aren't very many up and out of reach places to put a shotgun. I'm not saying it can't be done. It's just more difficult than stashing a pistol.

9. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Yea, quick access and secure storage at the same time is pricy and difficult to pull off.
    I have a Barska fingerprint reader safe for the pistol. It has a key backup too. 4 seconds or less to access. No easy access for unauthorized users.
    Watch out, kids will find your unsecured guns. I found all of my fathers guns growing up:)

10. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    lazaro

lazaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garry
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Stainless Nfab Steps painted black, Acces Tonneau cover, LED dome and map lights, Weathertech floor mats, EGR slimline visors, Wicked Flow 13 mufflers, ultragauge and 4X4 illuminated switch mod, receiver shackle from Timichi and Redline QL plus hood struts.
    Not if my enemies far outnumbered my carried rounds.;)

11. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Oh, I'll definitely be switching to a rapid access safe in the near future but currently the older of my two children is only 3. I will still get one soon to reduce the risk of having my own gun used against me. That's another difficulty with shotguns. They just don't make realistic quick access, convenient locks/safes for them.

12. Jun 26, 2010 at 5:17 AM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    If you have more than nine enemies you need to take a serious look at how you live your life. However, if you're military, all bets are off.

13. Jun 26, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Please study your subject before making knee-jerk comments. Consistent one shot stops are for the movies. Sometimes pulling a gun is enough to stop a fight. Sometimes emptying a 10 round magazine into a determined attacker isn't.
    Putting two in the heart and one in the head of a moving agressor is easier said than done, especially with adrenaline and fear in the mix. Even if you did manage two and missed the head, your assailant still has about 4 seconds to mess you up. In a gunfight, that's a long time.

14. Jun 26, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    lazaro

lazaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garry
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Dimonback, I am a peaceful man. I have lots of friends and no enemies that I can think off. You don't know who I am and how I live my life and from your comment it seems you are insinuating that I enjoy having numerous confrontations in my life. Have you ever considered that sometimes bad guys hunt in packs? When I said that if the scenario calls for using up all your ammo and you still need to defend yourself the next best thing you have aside from your fist is your empty pistol. If what it take is to club my way out in order to survive so be it. These are of course if you are cornered and there is no way out but through them.

As other posters have said in real life one shot is not enough. For others who are fortunate to train in Gunsite, or Thunder Ranch they might yhave the edge, one shot kills and all. For some who have not have "extensive" training we don't have that super ability.

We do take precautions when we go out. Situational awareness, not to go places that are too risky, know when to get the hell out of dodge. Nobody wants to be in a confrontation, if I need to swallow my pride just to avoid it I will. Peace to you my brother.

15. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    Dimonback

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    I don't know you, and I insinuate nothing about you. My comment was made in generalities, since there are always exceptional circumstances.
    In my mind an enemy is that person whom you know, and know will cause you harm. Gangbangers and the like don't fall into the category (unless you're an opposing gangbanger idiot, in which case I restate my first comment). OR, if you're in a risky area, once again, you might want to refer to the life comment.
    I'm not saying there's no need for 17 round mags, but the expectation to empty said mag in a confrontation would tend to indicate some poor choices being made.

16. Jun 27, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    lazaro

lazaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garry
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Fair enough. You got your opinion I got mine.

Products Discussed in

To Top