1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Toytec lift install by "SMTRDSPORT"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toku58, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Sep 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders
    Tougher!

2. Sep 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders

As far as getting a spring compressor i would take your shocks to a suspension shop and have them do it. They won't charge you that much and its a lot easier.

3. Sep 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Any shop will do it for you. They mostly have heavy duty wall mounted compressors. I believe I was charged $25 and it took all of 15 minutes. Well worth it.

4. Sep 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    Boulderjoe

Boulderjoe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 CrewCab Longbed
    Okay, I am completely done with my Toytec 3" lift. The back took 4 hours and the front took 8 hours! The front is definitely tougher especially if you don't have a coil compressor! haha! However, I found a great video on youtube that shows you had to install coils without one. (search Tacoma, coils install)
    The thing is, I had rented a compressor but it was broken. By the time I discovered this my truck was in pieces. The first coil/spacer took 6 hours, the next one took 1.5 hours! We drove it around and have no vibrations, pull, or shake so I'd say it was a success. I'm going to put another 10-20miles on it then get an alignment and have them double check my torques.

P9080104.jpg
    P9120111.jpg

5. Jan 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I'm looking at this install to do 5100's. Everything is the same up until assembling the coil. Anyway my question is about torque, should there be any torque specifications for any components in this install? Also what about thread lock? Good idea?

I plan to take mine to a shop for the assembly after looking at the coil spring compressors that the auto parts stores offer. :eek:

6. Jan 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    jdk52

jdk52 Bro do you even 'Merica?

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5
    3 inch OME lift kit, rear diff breather mod, cb install, sliders, brute force fab front end.
    Threat lock will make it a mofo to get off later. Just put torque lines on the bolts after you go back and tighten everything up after 100 miles or so. This way you'll be able to tell if they're loosening.

7. Jan 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    That's a good idea. I was a bit scared after seeing the thread on here where the guys rear 5100 came loose and punctured the bed floor. :eek: But I'm one that tends to over do it if anything as far as making sure it's tight so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

8. Feb 2, 2013 at 5:41 AM
    Gabassman

Gabassman Drive it like a 4WD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
  9. Feb 2, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Well I installed the rears 5100's myself, then remembered one of my jack stands was jammed in the lowest position and didn't have some of the tools I needed which I thought I had, :eek: then found NTB would install the fronts for only $100 so I went went for it. Was gonna cost me about $50 just to have someone swap the coils over anyway.

So anyone in the Hall/Gwinnett GA area looking for a place look at NTB in Buford, they said they do 5100's all the time.

10. Jul 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    odn

odn Member

Member:
    destin
    Vehicle:
    4x4 blk
    The Toytec instructions pretty much will get you there. The only thing I would say needs more explanation is keeping the leafs aligned with the center pin hole. I have a 2012 Tacoma with the 3 leaf pack plus one emergency leaf on bottom. (The inverted one)

What I found works best is to clamp the top 3 leafs together before you even take the center pin out. Then take it out and place the add a leaf under the 3 connected leafs and on top of the emergency leaf.
    You clamp the three leafs because its a bitch to get them back once they are out of line with each other. And the Add a leaf and bottom emergency leaf can move independently of the three top leafs that are bound together.
    Also follow the instructions and don't bring the leafs together by tightening the center pin. I got a stripped center pin doing this. Use the clamps:D

11. Jul 27, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    Christopher James

Christopher James Suuup?

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 taco loco
    Great instructions.

I am still on the front end with the spacers. I tried marking the struts where I thought I was supposed to but I guess I didn't do it right.

After exhausting myself using a rental coil compressor and open end wrench I took my struts up to many shops and toyota who all told me no! Unroll I found one shop who charged me 75 to put the spacers on for me.

I'm pretty sure they both had slopes on the strut plates but now that I got them back, one is level while the other still slopes. I put them back on and the level one went in easy, and the lower control arm went on easy.
    Now the one with the slope seems to have a gap between the thin plate and strut plate. Normal??
    And the lca seems so far away to put the two bolts in the bottom and I can't get it to move.

Any suggestions??

12. Jul 29, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    Christopher James

Christopher James Suuup?

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 taco loco
    Thank you very much as I was able to use these directions. I rented that coil compressor from autozone but it sucked. Took my struts to a shop who charged me 75 do do it cuz no one else would touch them. Rip off.

On the rear end how ever I did find ratchet straps to be helpful after lowering it so I could move it around and such while putting in the new leaf springs.

13. Sep 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    SoCal Hillbilly

SoCal Hillbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    Does anyone know the torque setting for the lower ball joint?

14. Nov 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    RNGRCaldera

RNGRCaldera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    14 AC TRD
    off road tires,toolbox, tinted window,Allpro Apex bumper, Toytec 3" suspension lift, Cb radio and firestik, 20" light bar.
    I have heard that you don't want to install the diff drop kit on second gens, is this true?

15. Feb 19, 2015 at 9:34 PM
    Codyfish

Codyfish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Leander
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport 4x4
    Allpro Sliders, Borla catback exhaust, Dynamat front & rear doors. Pioneer doubledin headunit, 12v plug all time, drystar air filter, full weather tech floor mats, Piaa yellow fogs lights, door chime mod, headlights recall
    i have also heard this and want to know why. I believe I saw something a few months ago on another form, that a guy was getting new noises from his cv joints caused by the diff drop.

In my situation I am leveling a 2011 trd 4x4 dbcb on stock 17" wheels with the 5100 billies kit from bilsteinlift.com. That includes everything needed (new shocks and springs and AAL). My question is the diff drop needed to level the truck, I am a light off-roader. The biggest stress the truck commonly sees is pulling my boat out of the water on a rutted mud trail.

The suspension upgrade is for better handling and to reduce rubbing for the 265/70/17 tires

Thank you for your help

16. Mar 19, 2015 at 2:16 PM
    16Tacos

16Tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    OME Nitrochargers w/886s & Dakars, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar w/Warn winch, RCI sliders with kick out, IFS & Mid skids, BFF Hi-clearance rear bumper, Brushed Copper 17" SCS Ray10s w/285-70 KO2s, Black OEM 16" steelies w/255-85 KM2s, Leer contractor cap w/Smittybilt overlander xl RTT, Off-Grid Engineering dual battery kit and bed power panel, Blue sea aux fuse block, Wyntner 60L fridge freezer, ARB dual compressor, Pioneer 720BT head unit, CB radio, @Matt_Gecko bed and engine bay lights, @TacomaTruckParts Dirt bike tie down bar, color matched OEM grill, A-Pillar phone mount mod, @Docloco rear seat molle panel
    I am about to install the full OME kit (Heavy - 886s) which gives about 2" of lift after installing the ARB bumper and a winch, and they include the diff drop component with the kit. They designed everything to work together and I trust them so I would say based on that I am not concerned about using them on 2nd Gen's

17. Jun 4, 2015 at 2:25 PM
    4x4Banger

4x4Banger Gold Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ham
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB/OR 4x4
  18. Jun 17, 2015 at 10:43 PM
    Tony V

Tony V Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony V
    south Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Trd Off Road
    Whats the next thing after lifting 3" ? UCA AND LOWER?

19. Mar 31, 2016 at 11:02 AM
    mreen428

mreen428 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shmatty
    Queens, NY
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD Spt
    This may be a stupid question. If I get the toytec ultimate kit and the front suspension is adjustable up to 3" and I wanna do the AAL for the rear, what height do I put the front so the entire truck is level? 3" in front with one leaf in back? I have a 2011 double cab trd sport. Thanks.

20. Jun 2, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    Ilie4foodstamps

Ilie4foodstamps New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2015 silver Tacoma TRD off road
    Were you able to reconnect the rear break line brackets back to the factory thread on the leaf bracket? I lifted mine and it looks like they will go back on (really really tight) but I'm afraid if my truck gets jacked up or lifted that the line will break off or tear from the tire dropping lower.

Products Discussed in

To Top