1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to use the Search function

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Evil Monkey, May 25, 2009.

1. Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey [OP] There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    We get a lot of threads asking repeat questions. Many try the search function but have a difficult time because the search results generate too many hits and it can be tedious to weed through all the results to find the one that's relevant. Here are some tips for doing an effective search. Note that the results I generated in the results (e.g. thread counts) will change as time goes on and people post more threads about a particular topic. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Standard Search
    This is the search most people do. If I search on Bilstein, I get 500 hits. You'll get every thread that has a post that mentions Bilstein.
    basic search.jpg

"AND" Search
    Adding additional terms will limit the search results. If I search on Bilstein 5100, I get 244 hits. It's the equivalent of saying 'Give me the threads that have at least one post with both "Bilstein" AND "5100" in it'. You'll get any post that mentions both Bilstein and 5100. Any thread could mention both Bilstein or 5100, but at least one post in the thread has to have both terms in it or it won't be a hit.

Phrase Search
    If I search on "Bilstein 5100" (in quotes) I get 192 hits. You'll get any thread where a post contains the specific phrase Bilstein 5100. (Bilstein immediately followed by 5100).

Combined
    If I search on "Bilstein 5100" 1st gen , I get 1 hit.

Excluding terms
    This one can be tricky to work. If you add the word "not" to a term, it will exclude posts that have that term in it. For example, in the "Bilstein 5100" search, there's a post about 1998 4-Runner (you may have to page through to find the post). So if I search on "Bilstein 5100" not runner it'll eliminate that result. This can be a tricky search since it will only eliminate from the results if Bilstein 5100 appears with the elimination word. However, even if post has the elimination word, someone else's post in the thread may have Bilstein 5100 but not have the elimination word, so it would be considered a hit for that post and the thread will still appear in the results.

There are more options in the Advanced search box.
    Advanced Search.jpg

Titles Only
    search titles.jpg
    You can limit the search to "Search Titles Only". That would get you only threads that mention the search term in the title (so you wouldn't get "The Useless Posts" Thread as a result to a Bilstein search). Searching Bilstein with "Search Titles Only" results in only 89 hits whereas in the first attempt, it resulted in 500 hits. Plus, the posts are more likely to be relevant since the terms are in the title of the thread. It's also a helpful search if you remember a part of the title but don't remember where it was. An example is thread "Things that make you say...WTF" If all you remember about the thread was "WTF", you should do a title search. WTF appears in a lot of threads, but is not as common in the titles.

Search By Username
    To the right, there's a Search by Username box. If you know the person you're interested in finding a result from, type that user's screenname into the box. After a few characters, the forum software will generate a list you can select from. It's helpful if you don't recall how to specifically spell their username. There's also a pulldown that will allow you to select "Find Posts by User" or "Find Threads Started by User" The first option will generate any results where the user has posted whereas, the second option will only generate results where the particular user started the thread.

Specific Forums
    Search in Forum.jpg
    You can choose specific forums by holding down the <CTRL> button while selecting the forums you are interested in. So if I search using Bilstein and select only the 1st Gen and the Suspension forum, I get 359 hits (vs 500 above). If I choose only the 1st Gen forum, that number drops to 69 hits. If I add "Search Titles Only", I get 3 threads.

Wildcard
    You can also use the * wildcard. So if I'm interested in Signature pics, I could search Sig* and "Search Titles Only" and get any post that has the three letters s-i-g at the beginning of a word in the title (e.g. Sig banners, Signature banners) but you'll also get results like "Sign in" but you wouldn't get a term like "Assign" since the sig is not at the beginning of the word. Putting the * in the middle of a term can help with commonly misspelled words (e.g. searching on Bilst*n would hit on Bilstein or Bilstien).

"OR" search
    For an "or" "Search Titles Only" search, if I search on Sig or Signature, I'll only get Title threads that have either Sig or Signature in the title(eliminates the "Sign In") result.

Other Options
    Other Options.jpg
    The other options allow you to further reduce the hits if you know certain things about the post (e.g. about when it was posted). So if you knew a post was put up within the last month or two, you could limit the results to only newer posts.

The "Show Results As" option will display threads or posts. The Thread selection will show the threads that match a search, whereas the Posts selection will show the post itself that matched. The Post can be helpful if the result you are looking for happens to reside in a huge thread. Rather than page through 50 pages of a long thread, do a post search and you can see if directly if the result was the one you were interested in.

2. TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    niceeee

3. eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Great write up man! should be a sticky!

4. tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    coincidentally dgerm also wrote a how to search post yest here

5. Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    When new people register, are they forced to atleast SEE (and hope they read) this type of info before their registration goes through?

6. DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    this one is much more in depth, good work monkey!

7. JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Uh. can i get a spring TSB done? and whats a TSB?

8. carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Found this to be very helpful. Thanks:eek:

9. Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Nice write up.

10. mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Sold my truck Jan '13... Still hang around.
    This should be mandatory reading. Make it a Sticky in every forum.

11. 98tacoma27

98tacoma27 :POOPCORN: Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5, 88 SR5 PU, 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    You can also use google to search a site

IE:

(throttle body spacer site:tacomaworld.com)

12. tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    whats searching for?

13. Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Good to know, but what is the biggest size tire I can run on my stock suspension.

14. tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    *must not derail!*

15. 98tacoma27

98tacoma27 :POOPCORN: Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5, 88 SR5 PU, 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    [​IMG]

16. carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    LOL that's great!:laugh:

17. neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    nice work!! You rule

18. luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k HID heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Well hell I learned something here, very nice.

19. Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR S/C 4x4
    TRD S/C, Full OME Suspension, LR UCAs, Relentless Front Bumper, Derpwerx Fab HC Rear Bumper, 285/75/16 Revos, XD Hoss Wheels, Safari Snorkel, Infiniti FX-R HID Retrofit, Airbags in rear, Optima Yellow top, Besttop, All-Pro Skid, All-Pro HD Sliders
    Nice work mang!

I don't mind repeat questions from newbs...

20. ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Thanks... that works :D

I hated searching for anything because I'd get SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOO many results that really didn't apply.

To Top