1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to wire bed lamps:

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jefferson, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jun 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    GrM25

GrM25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR 5spd 4x4
    I just did this mod but instead of running the wire all the way to the battery, I just tapped into the tail light (green wire). So the switch only gets power when the parking/tail lights are on.

2. Dec 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    Gabe911

Gabe911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner MGM
    Debadged, Rear TSB, Blue LED dome and Bright White Map Lights, Hard Top Tonneau Cover, OME885 coils (no top plate spacers)OME shocks and struts, 1.5" AAL for TSB Rear,285/70/17 Trail Grapplers, 17x9 XD Addicts with 4.5 bs, Black 4" exhaust tip, Bed pocket lights, rear diff breather Mod
    Just got done with my set up and I love it. Harbor Freight 12.99 Halogen light set. Hardest part was running the wire to the battery (did not want to tie into brake light wires)......other than that a very easy mod and worth the money. Needed extra wire due to kit not coming with enough and bought a different switch because the one that comes with is impossible to mount. Thanks again!!

DSCN0977.jpg

DSCN0978.jpg

DSCN0979.jpg

3. Apr 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    EBORSETI22

EBORSETI22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    New England
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Offroad
    TRD Exhaust Bed Mat Tinted Windows Tonneau Cover Cubby Bed Lights Reverse Lights Anytime Fog Mod Full OME Lift - 887s, LR UCAs, Dakars with D29XXL AAL MB TKO 17" Wheels 255/80r17 ST Maxx CMC Volant CAI with Scoop NFab Running Boards "Raptor" Grille Lights Ditch Lights 30" LED Hidden Light Bar On Board Air
    New to TW and mods, but really liked this one. I needed some help on where to ground the lights on the DCSB. I saw some go to the tail light, but I don't have enough wire to get there. If that's the easiest place to go, what kind of wire do I need to add to the original ground to get there?

Thanks in advance!

-ERB

4. May 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    timbonamo

timbonamo Member

Member:
    This was perfect for underneath a bed cover. Thanks!

5. May 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    Chilli Taco

Chilli Taco Senior Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5 V6
    Toyota Front Bug Guard, Vent Shades, UWS Low profile Toolbox, Husky Floor Liners, Tacoma Rubber Bed Mat, 3 ball with tow hook trailer hitch, Nerf bars, EZ clamp on tailgate, overhead console with compass and temp, Transmission smoothness TSB, Rear 4 leaf spring pack TSB with 4 new Bilstein TRD shocks, Back up camera, JBS Keypad Entry, 2" blind spot safety mirrors, Leaf spring squeak TSB spacer discs,TSB AC/Heater Blower motor 04043, aFe Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Toytec AAL for TSB leafs, TSB redesigned headlights, GMC 5702KA Bulbs in DRL's, DRL switch mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, 2010 4runner heated signal mirrors with puddle lights and 2013 Tacoma color matched mirror covers, bed lights, NOS GMC under hood reel light, TacomaWorld.com sticker on back window,fog lights on anytime mod, hidden ignition kill switch, TRD Skid plate painted black, TRD front recovery hook, console vault, Avid Off-road Light bar, 6" KC Daylighters
    After reading this thread I decided to go with the harbor Freight lights that mycoma used and used an old style Tacoma rocker type flood light switch in the dash. I wired it up today and am very happy with my results!

6. Feb 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    Hunter2009

Hunter2009 2009 taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Christiansburg
    Vehicle:
    2009 toyota tacoma base
    Work in progress
    Great idea! ! I have been looking at led lights to illuminate my bed. I agree that a good place for that useless holder! Thats exacly the place mine will go!!

7. Feb 9, 2015 at 9:21 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    This is an old post but I know this thread is used by many to do the mod. I installed 2 switches...one in the cab and one on the backside of my taillight (in the bed). They are run as a 3-way switch so I can turn it on in the cab and off in the bed or any other combination.

I do use both switches. If someone is loading something into my truck bed, and I'm in the cab, I flip it on for them. Or if I'm working in the back and need light, I turn on from the bed switch.

I have had a few sets of cheap ebay LED light strips and they keep dying on me. Just got a new Harbor Freight store in town so I'm going to pick up the halogens and try those. I worry about water though. Mine are not always covered by the tonneau. We'll see I guess!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Jan 23, 2017 at 12:11 AM
    Reddwarf

Reddwarf Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Tacoma V-6, 4x4 , TRD Tow package, 6 Speed Standard Trans....
    I have a '15 and got a Leer Lined canopy with it.....so I bought these wanting some light...
    WHITE Truck Bed Tool Box Light Kit with Auto-off Delay Switch 4pc 12inch Tubes 36 LED
    XKGLOW
    Sold by: XKGLOW
    Since the conopy is lined I picked up some 1 inch velcro and pressed it with the wires centered under it. the velcro sticks, hides and secures the wires. I also used some to secure the lights in place. You cant see the wires at all as the black velcro blends in with the dark liner. I ran the wires into the canopys itty bitty tiny light and wired in place. the bed lights run along each side and make it bright as day.

9. Apr 1, 2020 at 12:50 PM
    Th3Outl@w

Th3Outl@w Member

Member:
    First Name:
    The Outlaw
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD
    Nice write up !

Products Discussed in

To Top