1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to wire up some camp lights off camper shell

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by LVtacotaco, May 2, 2015.

1. May 2, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    LVtacotaco

LVtacotaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB
    lots of mods and more coming
    So I'm looking to some light on either side of camper shell for lighting up camp around the truck. It will be two led lights (rigid A-series lights) on either side going to either 2 or 4 switches, and to operate without key in the ignition. For ease, was thinking about having the switches in the bed/shell, somewhere protected of course. I just don't know the best way to wire it up, and not very electrically inclined. Any tips or help.
    Also, first TW post!

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  2. May 2, 2015 at 1:57 PM
    Josh828

Josh828 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Avery NC
    Vehicle:
    14 White TRD Off road, Mid travel mountain truck
    FOX 2.5 extended travel, Fox 2.0 rears, LR UCA, XSPX rims, some light bars, and switches
    Disclaimer- I have no idea what I'm doing when it involves electrical so if i tell you something terrible my bad.

But!
    1. I would use one of your cubbies as a switch panel, you could wire in some rocker switches literally in the door and then you could take off the door and have super easy access to the wiring.
    2. Put them directly on the left in the corner enough hopefully they wouldn't get knocked around.

Wiring
    The only thing I would think of would be run a nice thick wire from your battery so you would have constant power and wire the lights into it and a ground somewhere.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge chimes in!

Are you mounting the lights on top of the camper top?

3. May 2, 2015 at 2:56 PM
    LVtacotaco

LVtacotaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB
    lots of mods and more coming
    Yeah I thought about that in the cubbie. They are going on the sides of the shell but towards the top, above the windows. Will need drill a hole for each light to pass through wires and probably to bolt them on also.
    Wasn't sure if I should look into a separate fuse box along with some relays and the switches all built into a cubbie.

4. Jul 7, 2015 at 5:09 PM
    CleanupBoss

CleanupBoss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chet
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    SR 5 with Leer shell
    S/C w/ Gibson exhaust Araid CAI, afr/boost gauges in Craven Speed mount, LED camper shell lighting kit clear bra, fogs, Leer shell w/keyless entry & Thule roof rack system Pop & Lock tailgate handle Rugged country 30" light bar for lower front bumper, Baja Designs SR2 flush mount rear bumper lights, DB Customz grill w/ 3" cube lights, Viair 2 gal tank, Viar Compressor
    I was thinking about the same thing only 1) installing 2 rigid A-Series lights facing backwards on the rear of the shell and installing two more lights on each side of the shell. Rigid's Rock Light kit comes with a wiring harness, wire and a basic switch http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/40025
    I thought I'd install the switch inside the cab so that I could turn the lights on when backing up in the dark and see those pesky rocks, tree stumps etc. Also, we like to duck hunt and lots of light is also nice when putting on waders, coats and not stepping the dog crap when it is still dark :)
    I guess the only down side is if you decide to sell your camper shell because you cant remove the lights after the install.

Products Discussed in

To Top