1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how will my sport fair offroad?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by RoyB, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Jan 4, 2009 at 1:52 AM
    RoyB

RoyB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    My buddy wants me to go to an offroad park with him next weekend. He took his tundra there and now he wants to go with his wifes wrangler. He said his tundra faired out pretty good and thinks my tacoma will do really well.

I have an '09 if it makes a difference. It's all stock except for the little taller general grabber AT tires. My buddy said at one point his tundra had his opposing power wheels off the ground and they both just spun....I was under the impression that the computer would brake the spinning tires and therefore put power to the tires that had traction. Would mine do that too? I know the off-road version tacoma has the a-trac option and mine doesnt...but I thought I read that the sport will still act similar.

2. Jan 4, 2009 at 5:03 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I don't have the answer to your question here. If I were you I would go for it.

3. Jan 4, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Your 09 has the AUTO LSD which will help 'brake' the spinning wheels.

I don't know how this will act while offroad and I certainly wouldn't expect it to be a benefit offroad.

Your truck - bone stock - will do just fine offroad. Make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew.

If this is your first time offroad - make sure you stay on the EASY trails, put it in 4lo and keep your speeds down. Make sure someone has a tow strap (without hooks).

Do you have a hitch or a rear tow point?

Read this before you go:
    http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/General/OffroadTip/OffroadTips.html

4. Jan 4, 2009 at 6:11 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    YUP-For your first time- Take it slow and easy like Jan said. It's alot about the driver and less about the truck on those kinda trails.

GOOD LUCK TAKE PICTURES and LET US KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT!!

5. Jan 4, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    Isn't auto-lsd only enabled while in 2wd though? What happens in 4wd? the TC button only turns it off, doesn't turn any lsd on while in 4wd mode. I have a hitch and will bring a ball with. My buddy has an all fabric tow-strap.

I've never done any real trails before, other than peoples front lawns before. I am more into road racing and drag racing so this will be quite a change.

6. Jan 5, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    still wondering how the truck will respond in 4wd. will i have two open difs, or will the computer compensate any for it?

7. Jan 5, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    gonzo6up

gonzo6up Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4x4 sport
    tint/ vent visors/ seatbelt chime mod/ DTRL Mod
    Your 09 will do more than you expect. I also have an 09 double cab sport 4x4 with factory street tires and i still was able to lead and follow modified jeeps with 35" tires around this past weekend with just a little good judgement. i have also been off roading in tacomas for about 10 years too though so like the other guys said, take it slow and steady.

8. Jan 5, 2009 at 9:25 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I off-road my 06 Sport a lot. But I am not doing anything worse than like Level 3 off-roading. The locking diff will help is some areas - like really steep uneven roads - but IMO - other than that - it works just as well as an Off-Road. Just my $.02

9. Jan 5, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're not sure....

ASSUME you'll always have OPEN diffs and take it easy the first time out.

The only way you're gonna learn, is by getting out there and DOING IT.

There's a lot more important things to learn on the trails than how your truck is going to act. Keeping it on the trails, keeping it safe, making the right decisions, picking the right lines, knowing when to use throttle and when to use momentum....yadda yadda yadda.

JUST DO IT!!

10. Jan 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    +1 to everything here. I just did my first offroad trip last week and had a blast! Can't wait to do it again... But, if you don't feel comfortable with something, don't do it and don't let someone talk you in to it. Because if you fubar something, you'll be pissed and never do it again. Just do the easy stuff - work your way up.

And take lots of pictures and post 'em when you're back! :D

11. Jan 5, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    silver07taco

silver07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4,07 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    2013 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4, 2007 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    I wheel my 07 sport all the time, The truck does awsome a locker would be nice but other then that go for it.

12. Jan 9, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    thanks for the tips. looks like we are going tomorrow. woo.

13. Jan 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    just go ahead and put a locker in the sport if ur gonna do it often. i'm wanting to do one in mine as well. thats the good thing about the 09 as u'll have the auto lsd AND a locker

14. Jan 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    take pics and post them when you get back!

15. Jan 9, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    why would i take pictures. no one likes pictures...do they?

Products Discussed in

To Top