1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How'd you guys learn how to work on cars?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by PWhite13, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Jun 20, 2011 at 1:02 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    I learned from my uncle and friends. In hs me and some buddies would tinker and fix anything if it had a motor, especially a 2 stroke. Invest into a code scanner if you got an obd2 and a repair manual it really helps a lot.

2. Jun 20, 2011 at 1:54 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    I eat because I work on/fix cars, heres my story:

5-6 years ago, I had never ever touched/worked on a car. Never even thought about working on cars, was never into cars as a kid.

Worked many a year in the Pizza shops. Was on the verge of a serious breakdown. Short temper, freakish about cleaning grease outta our new car at the time, I had to get out.

I filled out an online application for a Valvoline IOC, it was something different, why not. They actually called back, talked to em and they hired me. Started with oil changes and all the small regular service stuff. I was pretty decent at it, for oil changes.

That went south and I applied at Jiffy Lube. I spent the next 2.5 years there. In 6 months I had worked up to their "2nd Assistant" role, and 3 months after that I was a full Assistant on Salary + Bonus. I learned quite a bit in my time there. I knew my around a car by the time left.

While working at JL, I started small "actual" repairs on a Blazer I bought when my daughter was born, we needed a 2nd vehicle. The radiator had a crack in it, so I replaced it, had never done one before, no instructions. Went in about 6am and was finished up by 7am. Had to ghetto rig the ghetto rigged fuel lines I had and then eventually had to replace the starter on it, I stayed late that day.

I quit JL b/c of some big issues between me and my manager, he was basically a control freak and the double standard shit was getting way outta hand, so I left.

I went out and hit every single Auto shop in my area. App after App after App, callback after callback after callback. Finally my tenacity paid off and I got hired at a Monro Muffler/Brake, It was a year this past April, so 14 months I've actually worked in an "real shop".

It's been pretty nice at MMB, I've really come a long way. The biggest jobs I've done so far are: 2 Head Gaskets, 1 89 Toyota Cressida and the other on a Chevy Cavalier. Both have been great fixes. The cressy fired right up once I got the distributor turned in time and the Cavy just fired right up and purred. I also recently replaced a clutch in an 2007 Jeep Wrangler, that was fun. (Why won't this fuckin' thing move!!!, Ah, shit, can't have the Transfer Case in Neutral, duh!). Did my first internal water pump/timing belt on a Camry.

I also started taking classes at the local community college. I can't learn everything in the shop. One of the best CC Auto Programs out there and this is where I've acutally learned a lot of the "how this works" stuff.

The actual "work" in not really all that hard. It's parts, nuts and bolts. Some shit is hard to get to and you have to finagle around things, but the work is not the hard part. The figuring out whats wrong is the harder part a good amount of the time, espeically in the "getting paid to do this" field. Customers want their shit fixed right, the first time.

All-Data is a huge help, espeically with those bigger jobs I mentioned. I had a packet of about 10 pages for each one of those cars. Removal, install procedures, torque specs. It's like following a giant set of Lego instructions, other than the fact it's a 15K+ vehicle and not Lego's.

You're never done learning how to work on cars, espeically with how their changing now.

Thats my story. I know there are other guys on here who also work in shops, hope they post up too.

3. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Rule #1 is to realize its only parts ...
    Rule #2 is go ahead and do it.

As somebody else pointed out, you will never stop learning because every car is different.
    Its good to start young because when you get older you start forgeting things. Saturday I was replacing my wheel bearing and I had put everything back. Then looked under the truck and realized there is big brake rotor still on the ground. No wonder putting brake pads was so easy :eek:

4. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    Dibblit

Dibblit Eh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Stony Plain
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Suspension ARB OBA
    I grew up fixing my dirt bikes. My dad said if I break it I have to fix it. Then at 14 started working in a welding fab shop that did heavy duty equipment and truck repairs... I now work as a Heavy Equipment Tech for Stahl Peterbilt

5. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Trial and error.

Mostly error.

6. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I got a set of tools and dove right in, oh and I also had a dummy book too. If you can read and follow instructions, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Jun 20, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    my friends buy shitty cars. shitty cars break down. i get dragged into fixing shitty car with friend that doesn't knows just as little as me about shitty car. I LERN. lol

8. Jun 20, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    reading tacoma world. trial and error, patience.. lol

9. Jun 20, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Anything I could possibly ever want or need to do is explained in a write up on the internet. All I gotta do is make use of it.

10. Jun 20, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Worked at a shop for a while when I was in my early 20's. Learned alot working there and also as others have said trial and error. Just give it a shot, either you get it back together or your walking...thats pretty good motivation to get it right. :)

11. Jun 20, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    ^^^This!

I owned a 95' Chevy S-10 for 5 years growing up from when i got my lisence at 16, back then If something broke, I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it for me, my dad was good for advice but he made sure i did all the work myself.

12. Jun 20, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    I had a school to work program in High School, chose a local speed shop. Ended up getting a job for Junior and Senior year, tuning and learning fab work, engine managment and welding. Then joined the Coast Guard as a Machinery Technician.

13. Jun 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    Forums and Youtube<<<<<<Your two best friends when working on anything

14. Jun 20, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    darkgreentaco

darkgreentaco XXXL Member

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, Extra mustard, All-Pro expdtn Leaf, sesame seed bun, Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders, sweet candy coating, LCAskids, diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 Mt/r kevlar
    my uncle owned a garage and i worked there during my summers off from school. thats how i got to know carbureted engines. my buddy makes custom ecu's for rice burners and thats how I got to know fuel injected engines.

15. Jun 20, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Started by trial and error. Learned the electronics side through the navy, then rest from tech college, on the job training, tech manuals, and TW.

16. Jun 20, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Started on a 1969 Camaro Z28 then a 69 Dodge Dart GT convertible then 70 Duster and 72 Cadillac. Then the fuel crisis and went 80 Mazda GLC Sport, 84 Nissan 720 KC 2wd (still the best vehicle I've ever owned and the vehicle I compare everything else to-300,000 miles; sold truck to my Cousin for $75 he drove it for another 5 years). Then a slew (not because they were bad but because they were good) of Turbo Buicks 84 thru 87, and still to this day (top quality except for a few quirks (like all Regals were missing a few body mounts from the factory- someone got lazy) but still in my opinion the best GM car ever built. Then an 89 IROC Camaro (another great car-the only problem 2 days after I bought it the computer took a dump but other than that the IROC was really a great car)

Just learned by doing. Inspiration or desperation.

Steve

17. Jun 20, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    BeerHat

BeerHat Got Beer?

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner 4x4
    PreRunner 4x4, Homebrew Front Bumper, Homebrew Sliders, Homebrew Skids, Homebrew Bedbar, Homebrew Beer
    Started with watching and helping some buddies out on their vehicles. After doing that for a few months, started reading the forums; especially fab heavy ones like pirate4x4. Next thing I know it, I did an engine swap...:eek:. Be careful on projects that a lot of people say are easy; it is all relative. I was actually naive enough to believe that doing a 3rz swap into an 85 toyota was very straight forward :rolleyes:. The big stuff was easy, its all the small things you never think of that add up faster and more expensive than the big stuff.

It is all about willing to make mistakes, read, research, and have patience and much persistence. If I was not persistent; my 85 would be a bucket of bolts instead of running right now.

18. Jun 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    gonzo6up

gonzo6up Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4x4 sport
    tint/ vent visors/ seatbelt chime mod/ DTRL Mod
    I just grew up watching my father and grandfather fix stuff becasue we didn't have the money to pay anyone else. It's all just trial and error and alot of confidence.

19. Jun 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    trey8789

trey8789 Sour Cream

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Chesapeake Va
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD OR XP Super White
    Stock…. :(
    i stayed in a holiday inn express last night, no i always was taking apart stuff and was mostly self taught never said no to working on anything, tools+youtube+curiosity=fixed&moded :D

20. Jun 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Well when I got my first truck (1979 Jeep CJ7) I couldn't afford to pay someone to work on it. Bought the repair manual and went to work. Same with the 83 yota pickup. Skipped the mustang but went right back to work on the 2000 taco. Not so much of can't afford it now but more like I want it done right and want to know how to fix it if this ever happens again. I've always been one to take something apart and see how it works. Guess that finally paid off. I'm not afraid not to pretty much tackle whatever as long as I have a repair manual. Rebuilding the carb on my motorcycle wasn't anything after a few lawn mowers and boat engines. I just enjoy working on my own stuff. Found out quick I could buy boats cheap and fix them up and resell for profit.

Products Discussed in

To Top