1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Howdy from Nor Cal

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Wildjones, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Oct 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    Wildjones

Wildjones [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Jose, CA
    Hey whats up guys, my name is Mike and I have been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to do an intro post. Currently I am trying to just soak up as much info as I can before I make my truck purchase which will hopefully be within the next year to year and a half when I get out of college. I think I will be shooting for a 1st gen taco unless the 05's come down enough in price that I can afford one of those when the time comes.

I plan on using my truck like a truck and go offroading at least a couple times a month, so 4wd is a must (maybe just get basic 4wd since lift replaces stock trd stuff anyways and arb lockers are worth the money), but hoping I can still get some decent MPGs since this will be my DD. My buddy has a 2000 Tundra trd off road that pretty much has sold me on getting a Taco.

Hoping to get a few more MPG than my current daily driver :D
    [​IMG]

It would be pretty nice if I could trailer her up to Infineon in the summer to do the "Run what you brung" on wednesday nights :)

2. Oct 8, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Welcome from Union City!

and x2 gas mileage is gonna suck lol. I'm looking at 16 mpg

nice whip btw

3. Oct 8, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Welcome, sweet ride!

4. Oct 8, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTAS, TOYOTAS EVERYWHERE
    Our 2009 Prerunner I4 5-speed is rated for 22-27mpg and "can tow" 6,000lbs. I don't know if I'd try, but I have a 1969 Mustang that may get dollied now and then. Maybe.

5. Oct 8, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    Alpha Q Up

Alpha Q Up Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ruben
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2003 4WD DC Tacoma
    Welcome from SJ

6. Oct 9, 2011 at 12:36 AM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    SWEEET MOPAR, what year charger is that? by the way Aloha!

7. Oct 9, 2011 at 1:25 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    welcome from Newark... nice old school!!

8. Oct 9, 2011 at 1:34 AM
    Wildjones

Wildjones [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Jose, CA
    Actually... It is a 1970 383 Plymouth 'Cuda. Its closer to a Challenger than a Charger by a long shot, but hey no biggie lol.

I come from a big MOPAR family, when it comes to muscle cars anyways. My folks have always bought Toyota/Lexus for daily drivers though. No wonder I'm coming here looking for a Taco, right? :D

I only really get to drive it on a daily basis when I work in the summer or when I am back home from school. I think it gets just about 10mpg, so even a truck that gets 18 or so will be a huge step up for me :eek: Regardless, I wouldn't trade my Cuda for anything though!

9. Oct 9, 2011 at 2:30 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    The wheels on that thing are sweet but I'm hoping you still have the stock wheels. I'm guessing you've had that since day one? Build sheets make it worth so much more. The birth certificate to the car...

I've got two for mine. Strange but they put one under front and rear seats. I left the rear one where it was.

10. Oct 9, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Welcome aboard! :wave:

11. Oct 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV[​IMG]

12. Oct 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    Wildjones

Wildjones [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Jose, CA
    Ha, I wish I had the build sheet. At least the fender VIN tells just about the same amount of info as the build sheet. The car is still a work in progress, but I guess I will never really be "finished" with it, you know how classic cars go. My folks bought the car about 16-18 years ago. The guy who owned it before was a .... goober. It has taken a lot of time, effort and $$ to reverse some of the stupid stuff he did (ford emblems on a mopar, really?!).

I have thought about switching out the wheels to Magnum 500s, but it seems they are just as popular as the Weld wheels that I have on there currently. If I do end up swapping out rims, I will probably go back to the stock rims because I think they look great.

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome guys, looking forward to hitting up some of the trail meets and mod days when I get around to snatching up a truck :)

13. Oct 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    I would try to get it back to stock as much as possible. Here is mine bone stock. The only thing I did was have the bumpers re chromed because little dots were forming and I got new tires. The bias ply spare is still in the trunk. It currently has 89,000 original miles. Matching numbers.

bb437b3a_a89884a629567ffae7baab8b0a97bd157508b160.jpg

14. Oct 10, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Sorry my bad, my dad was a HUGE mopar guy i have a lot to learn:D

15. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    Wildjones

Wildjones [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Jose, CA
    I dunno about bone stock, but most of what has been changed I have the original parts for in a box in the garage. I feel like there are a few things you can change on the old cars to improve reliability without sacrificing much in value. For example changing the points ignition system out, adding headers, changing mufflers, etc.

You have extremists from both camps; folks who change the motors to new motors and transmissions with ecus and modern amenities and the folks who want to keep the car bone stock. I fall more in the middle with a heavy lean on keeping it stock :)

Tigahshark, my dad ruined me. He's a mopar or no car kind of guy for the most part and I'm not too far away. :D

One more shameless plug http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDqDfKwLHGQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL That's my dad's '69 dart. Kind of a shame I don't have any vids of my Cuda up on my own youtube, but whatever hehe.

P.S. Babytruck, Nice Chevelle. Its super straight and clean. DO you hit up any of the local car shows?

Products Discussed in

To Top