1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How's it tow?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BUZZ5, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Oct 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    Anyone pull a 6x10' enclosed trailer with a couple street bikes with their Prerunner? Got an eye on a new one, but would like to hear from someone that has done this & how the truck handled it.

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    ive never towed a trailer, but i got a '10 prerunner and i towed my buds honda civic (when it broke.........again) about 40 miles with no problems whatsoever

3. Oct 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    I've got a DC TRD. Towed my Firebird on a trailer, both vehicles LOADED with everything I own from B.C. to Ontario. Made it through the rocky mountains no problem.

4. Oct 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    I towed the 6x12 uhaul trailer fully loaded with mine (07 double cab short bed). I'm a 4x4 though but that shouldn't make too much of a difference. The Uhaul trailer are relatively heavy vs aftermarket trailers. A couple street bikes isn't much of a load for the Tacoma's.

5. Oct 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I towed a 6x12 uhaul trailer from cleveland Ohio to norfolk Va. I took all my essential belongings which put me overweight. I don't recommend towing over the GCWR, but my 4cyl regular cab made it. I took it slow and will never do that again. Max speed was 55mph without getting squirly. Get a trailer sway controller if you plan on consistently towing above 1000lbs.
    With or without a sway controller, you should have some sort of brakes for the trailer and the towing package or equivalent for the truck.
    Properly set up your Tacoma for towing, and it is a very capable rig. Consistently overloading it will break something. Stay under the load limits and you'll be fine. When in doubt, hit the scales.

6. Oct 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I took a 6x12 from cleveland Ohio to norfolk Va. I took all my essential belongings which put me overweight. I don't recommend towing over the GCWR, but my 4cyl regular cab made it. I took it slow and will never do that again. Max speed was 55mph without getting squirly. Get a trailer sway controller if you plan on consistently towing above 1000lbs.
    With or without a sway controller, you should have some sort of brakes for the trailer and the towing package or equivalent for the truck.
    Properly set up your Tacoma for towing, and it is a very capable rig. Consistently overloading it will break something. Stay under the load limits and you'll be fine. When in doubt, hit the scales.

7. Dec 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    flyguy51

flyguy51 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 6L SR5
    I tow my '06 Airstream 19' Bambie without any problems. Unless the road is flat I tow in 4th gear and everything works great. In fact my Taco tows the Bambie better and with less strain than my F150 did. I have a 2010 4x4 double cab and it's a fantastic truck. It just keeps surprising me with what it can and will do without straining.

To Top