1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HU installation links

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pokeng, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Mar 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    pokeng

pokeng [OP] Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    I finished installing a Pioneer Z110BT in my '09 a couple weeks ago. Before starting, I abused the search feature here at TW and located a number of threads that I thought would be helpful during the install and bookmarked them all. My netbook was literally at my side throughout the process and they turned out to be a great help. Also had some help from others here at TW (thanks again!). Another TW member had pm'ed me with some questions on installing the z recently, and I sent him the links I used. It occurred to me that someone else might be able to use this compilation as well. So here they are in one location:

Center console removal -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...al-w-pics.html

Dash removal (for different mod, but the dash removal steps are the same) -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-your-gps.html

Clock/hazard switch/passenger airbag display removal -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...tml#post843411

Scosche double-din dash kit install (I used this and had not had a single issue and its rock solid) -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...all-video.html

Backup camera tap under dash -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...elow-dash.html

Reverse wire tap -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...tml#post525563

Speed sensor wire tap -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-location.html

PAC SWI-PS install (use 560 ohm resistor instead) -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-swi-jack.html

Official SWI-PS wiring for Tacomas -
    http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...ehicles&ID=354

Where to tap SWI-PS wires into truck wiring harness (scion plug is the same as our trucks) -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post1138184

Adding oem BT steering wheel buttons -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-controls.html

Remember, these links were successfully used for a Pioneer Z110BT in a 2009 model, so they may not work for other models/combinations. Feel free to add any other links that you found helpful, and more importantly, worked.

2. Mar 20, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    ChaseUA

ChaseUA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Present: 2016 White TRD Sport DC Past: 2010 MGM TRD Sport AC 4x4
    Thank you for the in depth coverage! This is going to help me immensely.

I know this is likely a stupid question, but in the "Adding OEM BT steering wheel buttons" link I think I may have confused myself.

Just to clarify, if you are putting in an aftermarket headunit that supports BT then as long as your current steering wheel column has the volume controls all you need are the 3 parts listed and you should have BT functionality? With the AVIC-Z110BT you just have to use the BT microphone that comes with the HU unless you want to spring for a new rearview right?

Thanks again for all your help!

3. Mar 21, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    Yep, BT pad, ribbon cable and SWI. The steering column already has the needed wiring to carry the BT signals. The BT and volume controls actually share the same wires by sending different amps for each function. The SWI receives the different amp signals and translates them into something your HU can interpret. The ribbon cable actually connects the BT control pad to the volume control pad, so its easy to see they share the same wires.

True for any HU with BT. I mounted mine next to the plastic cover for the rear view mirror wiring. It's not very noticeable and gives pretty good sound quality for callers. The rear view mirror that has the BT microphone built-in and comes with the JBL option can be bought thru Toyota dealers. They are pricey and then you need to figure out the wiring.

4. Mar 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    azTRD

azTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pokeng,

Do you have any problems with the VR button controlling the HU. I installed mine this past weekend and for some reason the "lower volume" and the "voice recognition" buttons on the steering wheel seem to be interfering with one another (like they are sending the same voltage to the pac unit and it's getting confused.

If I hit my VR button, it sometimes lowers the volume and sometimes does the VR. If I hit the lower volume button it sometime activates the VR on the HU. I'm working with PAC on the issue, but was wondering if you were experiencing the same thing.

BTW, I have the same setup Z110BT with the phone controls on the steering wheel.

5. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    No problems here. Are you sure you used the right resistor? Might also double check your ribbon cable connections. I had to really squeeze mine before they fully snapped in.

6. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    polox40

polox40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    TOYOTA ALUMINUM STEP BAR, 3M HOOD FILM, WEATHERTECH FLOOR MATS, 7" DD WITH BACKUP CAMERA, TRD SEAT COVERS
    good post should be sticky i say!!

7. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    azTRD

azTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long story but I did have the wrong resistor in there. Put the right one in and everything works perfect. Thanks for the reply.

And I agree with the poster above... this thread should be a sticky.

8. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    Gingrbredman

Gingrbredman Love the Tick!

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Sport 4WD
    Thanks man for the consolidated links. I will be tackling a similiar project, and this will be helpful!

9. Mar 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Those little things are hard to tell apart. PIA to solder as well. Glad to hear you found the problem. :)

10. Apr 27, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    Tom Cecc

Tom Cecc Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD
    Thanks! I'll definitely be using your info when I install my Pioneer Z110 next weekend. I'm just waiting on all the parts to arrive.

11. Apr 27, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Nice list :thumbsup:

12. May 2, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    Tom Cecc

Tom Cecc Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD
  13. May 3, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    The z has seperate right and left RCA jacks for audio input. It also has a third RCA jack for video. I suppose one could wire the two audio jacks into the oem aux jack, but you'd lose the ability to hook up the audio from an external video source. I purchased some RCA cables and connected them to both the input and rear output jacks and ran them into my center console for easy access. Also, I bought the iPod cable for the z and ran it there as well. My oem jack is still in lower dash, but disconnected. I may remove it for a switch to another mod someday, but it's dead for now.

That mic location is interesting. I just hung mine from the headliner next ti the rear view mirror using the clip that came with it. Super quick and easy. I barely notice it's there.

14. May 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    Tom Cecc

Tom Cecc Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD
    I finished most of the install this weekend. In addition to the Z110, I installed an overhead monitor and a power Metra black antenna. I kept my laptop right there and for most of it I referred to the links you posted.

Amazingly, my speakers sound 100x's better.

I know some people said there was a lot of room behind the HU but getting it in the dash was a pain in the butt. It may have something to do with the two sets of RCA cables for the overhead monitor.

I hooked up the back-up camera and the picture really looks good. The only problem I see is that there is a faint black horizontal line that scrolls thru the picture for backing-up. It occurs on both the mirror and head unit. Did you have this issue? I may try to isolate it but since it's only for the back-up camera, it may not be worth the work.

Anyway, thanks for consolidating all those links. It really helped a lot.

15. Jan 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    fergulator

fergulator New Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD V6 4x4 LB
    Leather, Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU, Seat warmers
    Hey all –

Just bought a 2011 Taco w/ JBL and used these instructions to the letter to install a Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU. Everything was exactly the same as prior years (reverse tap, backup camera, PAC SWI-PS, PAC TATO). Cheers for the insights – made the whole process really easy.

A few issues/comments:
    1) the speed sensor wire tap was really hard. Waaaay too short to get a t-tap in there easily, so I skipped it. The GPS position is exact 95% of the time. It only seems to get off track when in slow moving traffic for 5-10 mins, and fixes itself when you get going again.
    2) The PAC-TATO and SWI-PS units were great. Made the install really seamless and easy (also nice to be able to do all the soldering and shrink wrapping in the house). Only downside… the TATO unit is huge, and really hard to hide somewhere when getting the unit back in.
    3) I used the D-sub pin trick for the camera tap. Very cool and easy. I also get the faint horizontal lines. Used a well shielded video cable, so guess it’s unavoidable. It’s great using the AVIC for backup though.

Keep up the great work!

16. May 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Great thread OP, thanks for doing this!! Sticky this sucker.

17. Apr 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    TX TOY

TX TOY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bud
    Montgomery, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD 4X4
    ARE Topper and Bed Rug
    Sub'd

Products Discussed in