1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Huge blowout today - Toyo Open Country R/T

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tamer, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Dec 2, 2016 at 7:02 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    I have to say, I was not too impressed with the people I spoke to from Toyo Tires at a car show in Boston earlier this year. I asked them why not more 16" tires in the Open Country RT (they only have one) and they said they were expanding to more sizes slowly. That was the same answer I heard when they were 1st released 2 years ago. When I told the rep that he said well they are really just focusing on the sizes that sell the best and that is 35x12.5x20. Oh really??? I just walked away!

2. Dec 2, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    TTT

TTT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Los Gatos, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Fox 2.0 w/reservoir, 17" Fuel Vapors, RCI skids, Pelfreybilt bumper, BAMF sliders
    Service patrol are stationed at strategic points along the free ways to help stranded motorist. They only tow you to the next safe spot, sometimes freeway pull outs, sometimes the next exit depending on call volume and traffic. They are not a 24 hr service, only during peak times and days. I have worked side by side with CHP, CA Freeway Service Patrol, AAA and most other insurance agencies. By far, AAA gives you the best service. AAA call centers (in Utah) do have problems at times, just like any entity. It's not required that you have emergency roadside assistance insurance, you can cancel at any time. But, you might want to develop some sort of contingency plan for when thing does go wrong, like having a high lift jack when you have a flat, and someone, or company take care of you when you're in an accident, or breakdown.

The service patrol is often the 1st on scene, but they are limited to peak times, location, and will only move you to safety. If you get in a bind, when they are not on duty, and call CHP, CHP will 1st ask if you have AAA (a few stations will call AA for you, hint, hint), if not they will send out a tow service from their approved list of providers. These providers are not free. Service calls (tire changes, battery jumps, gasoline delivery) usually run $60-100 or more depending how far or how long it takes to get to you. Tows average about $200 an hour, or similar rates per mile.

3. Dec 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM
    Midnighttaco08

Midnighttaco08 Traffic Direction Moonlighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB Indigo Ink TRDOR 2017 CM Tundra TRD OR 4x4
    Some Bubble Gum and Duct-Tape IG** Midnighttaco03 Camburg uni-ball UCA w/ CO Rear Dakar with Fox 2.0 bottom overload removed GG G3D radius bar 50" roof mount GG G3 straight 32" front valence Rago fab bed clamp pod mounts 2 GG amber pod rear OTRATTW custom switch panel in sunglass holder K&N cold air Gibson exhaust Alpine INA-W900 head Mr. Marv box and amp rack IDQ-10 - Interfire Mono Focal fx45 component front Alpine type S Co-ax rear Homer taco TRD Grill GG LED low/high beam TRD seat covers OEM bed mat Weathertech floor mats with replacement TRD-OR decals Weathertech in-channel vents GG Flush mount pod replament fog light kit GG green ditch mount 3x2 pods Fog lights anytime Tailgate hoseclamp mod LED dome light LED map lights LED reverse lights LED license lights Rear window decals: Mall rated, Tacomaworld.com, U-Haul power tow, soundtech, mammoth.
    Damn sorry OP... that's a bunch of BS from all parties except americas tire :eek:

4. Dec 2, 2016 at 7:50 PM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    Mademan925[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Dec 2, 2016 at 7:58 PM
    VolkswagenTaco

VolkswagenTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Compton
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5 4x4 Canadian model with factory locker. Pyrite Mica
    Damn Broads

6. Dec 3, 2016 at 7:20 AM
    -mike-

-mike- Well-Known Member

Member:
    Man that is scary. I am also surprised you were doing 50 on the 405 I can't seem to ever get over 10mph lol

7. Dec 3, 2016 at 3:28 PM
    randomguy

randomguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dalles, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 T4R 4x4 MGM
    Schwab's destroyed a set of alloys by hammering steel wheel weights onto the rim and they over torque the shit out of lug nuts. I think the reason anyone even uses them anymore is they provide financing for bro dozer installs.

8. Dec 3, 2016 at 8:32 PM
    PuyallupJon

PuyallupJon 2020 AG Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    you can contact Toyo directly
    they were very helpful to me and the customer service was excellent
    they even called the tire shop i was dealing with and we worked everything out
    i would encourage you to reach out to Toyo directly

T4RFTMFW[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 4, 2016 at 3:51 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    OP did:
    Seems Toyo has had many recalls:

http://www.tiredefects.com/toyo-tire-failure.cfm
    http://car-accident-rain.com/blog/2012/01/toyo-tires-recalls-69000-tires-due-to-sidewall-defect.html
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...new-tires-for-light-trucks-and-suvs/index.htm

10. Dec 7, 2016 at 4:01 PM
    tamer

tamer [OP] hamerworx.com

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR AC, MGM, 4x4, 6spd MT
    Got news back from Toyo today. They told me to kick rocks. I could not believe how rude they were. And I was speaking to the customer service manager.

I submitted a complaint with the BBB, NHTSA and have been in contact with serval reporters who want to write about this.

All I wanted was a replacement tire. I do not understand why they are so hostile.

11. Dec 7, 2016 at 4:10 PM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    Weird. I've always run Toyos and never had issues. Love my R/T's.

That said, sucks that they are being so shitty about replacing. That honestly surprises me a lot. Toyo has always been rated as one of the top tire brands. Sounds like bad luck.

12. Jan 2, 2017 at 8:17 PM
    ShOwStOpper

ShOwStOpper Well-Known Member

Member:

so whatever happened with this?,,,did you report this story to reporters to shame them for such horrible customer service when their faulty tire nearly killed you?..

i wouldn't let this go unanswered,,the way they treated you was shocking...i might even contact a lawyer and see what he says since they wanna jerk you around...you could of been killed and they wanna brush you off?

13. Jan 3, 2017 at 10:11 AM
    tamer

tamer [OP] hamerworx.com

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR AC, MGM, 4x4, 6spd MT
    Nothing. I wrote a few reporters and nobody seemed to care. I ended up buying a new tire out of pocket. I did report them to the FTC, BBB and NHTSA though.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  14. Jan 3, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    RedRed

RedRed TACO TUESDAY!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Lake Norman NC
    Vehicle:
    15 taco with stuff & things
    1.75" Billy's plus 1/4 spacer on both sides. 1" block in rear. 265/70/17 nitto g2 SCS matte dark bronze 6s
    Damn shame.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  15. Apr 16, 2017 at 4:21 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Got a set of these on the way . Spacer ?

16. Apr 16, 2017 at 4:33 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Mine are 17x9 0 offset

Products Discussed in

To Top