1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hunting for trails in Gatlinburg

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Nick54, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jul 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I will be vacationing in the Gatlinburg Tennessee area the week of August 6th. Wondering first if anyone from that area is planning an off road trip? Second, if you know of any light to moderate trails in the area? If I'm in a group I can afford to be a bit more aggressive and if not, then some light trail riding would be best. There just has to be some really nice trails in that area and I'm sure the locals know best where they are.
    Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. Jul 15, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Bump - Little help Pleez

3. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Nothing? Really?

4. Jul 20, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Not leaving for a while yet so BUMP again

5. Jul 22, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Me and the wife go there a few times a year so I would like to know this myself.

6. Jul 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    You might try posting this in the Tennessee thread.

7. Jul 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    LostCajun

LostCajun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Pineville, LA
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB Sport 4x4 and '18 DCSB OR 4x4
    OME 886 and Dakar Leaf Pack with Heavy Add-a-Leaf, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, BAMF Sliders, ARB Bull bar, Warn VR10 Winch, Rigid SR2 Hood Scoop Mod and ditch lights
    I am in Louisiana, but have family in Knoxville and go to Gat alot. I know that there are some 4x4 only roads in the national park that lead into/out of Cades Cove that I would love to try. I have never done them, so don't know the level of difficulty, also they are not always open... last time I was there was Dec 2010 and it snowed. I think that they are on the national park map, but not sure. They are definately on the Cades Cove map. I would inquire at the park office, but I don't know how open they are to having people on them. With that many people through the park (most visited nat park in the nation) they may keep them closed more than open.

Hope it helps and hope you can do them.. If you do post up how they are.

8. Jul 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i have heard about the trails. now that i think about it. but never heard about anyone going down them. i would love to go down some. i’m in the north knox anderson county area.

9. Jul 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks for the info. When I get there I will be sure to check with the parks dept. It seem like its getting harder and harder to find public 4x4 trails. Our tax dollars buy and maintain the land, you would think the fed would try to accommodate all forms of recreation throughout the country. If I can get on the trails, I will certainly post some pics.

10. Jul 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah post pic. or any info you can. i’m like 45 min or so from Gatlinburg.

11. Aug 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    CWT

CWT Member

Member:
    Townsend Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    SR5 double cab 4x4
    Just to let everyone know.. yes i am new but heres the truth as bad as i hate to tell ya...there are no 4x4 trails in the national park or cades cove. I live within 1 mile of the park entrance and 20 mins from cades cove gate in Townsend. What I can tell you is there are rds leading out of the cove.. Rich mtn rd (goes to Townsend) and Parsons Branch rd .. it go's to hwy 129. You can drive a car on these rds. The national park will not let you even pic a flower let alone hit the woods in a 4x4. The places I used to go were Bluff mtn in severville just down from gatlinburg but.. that has been developed and no more trail riding. Now the only one that I know of is wind rock.. punch it up on mr. google and see what he says about that. FYI.. tellico is closed as well as far as I know..Trout unlimited got that shut down for us. Anyway if any of you do vacation in the smokies... Give us a call we have cabins here in Townsend >>> check out our web site >> www.tiptoncabins.com We would love to have a few tacomas at our cabins.. have a great vacation here in the smokies!! FYI.. One more thing.. There is a group of really big bucks hanging at the Dan Lawson Place/ Hyatt Ln in cades cove.. go early and take your camera. CWT

12. Aug 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    CWT. i’m about 20 miles from wind rock. i would not take a stock 4x4 taco to wind rock. also royal blue WMA is about 20 miles from me. has quite a bit of haul roads and some tighter jeep trails. i have taken my truck up their a few times. no real problems.

nick54= i assume you are coming down I-75? you will pass royal blue WMA. but you have to have a permit to go up there.

13. Aug 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    CWT

CWT Member

Member:
    Townsend Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    SR5 double cab 4x4
    You are right for sure about windrock.. way to may driveline parts laying around.. i was just saying that was a 4x4 park .. i just didn't mention you had better be locked up on both diffs. I forgot about royal blue. That would be ok..

14. Aug 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    yeah. i have not been just head that it’s not a good place for stock truck. i take 4 wheelers to blue as much as i can. i have bent my 7 pin trailer plug at royal blue. but thats the only damage i have. and it still works just bracket is bent back about 1"

15. Aug 2, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    This is correct--No offroad national park auto roads. There may be some GRAVEL ROADS.-NOT OFFROAD--The national park is a PRESERVATION AREA.
    "BLUFF MOUNTAIN"-Sevier county---Near Gatlinburg has OFF ROAD--Pigeon forge,GATLINBURG area.
    Google-it.

16. Aug 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    newertoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
  17. Aug 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    CWT

CWT Member

Member:
    Townsend Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    SR5 double cab 4x4
    I very well may be wrong but.. i think that the area on Bluff mtn is a atv area and it is a pay area for tourists that want to ride 4wheelers. This is the area we used to go in our jeeps and broncos 20 years ago. It was then owned by Blalocks construction and was thousands of acres.
    http://bluffmountainadventures.com/

18. Aug 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    newertoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    I do believe there is still a road to the TOWERS--I will do more research. My brother remarked that he went up there recently.
    Long ago, like you said--Was GREAT TIMES. Hell, back then there were so many back unmarked and unmaintained roads EVERYWHERE. PARTY TIME!!!!!!!!!!
    If the cops got word--they were waiting at the main road entrance. Younger folks have no idea what GOOD TIMES they missed.

19. Aug 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    newertoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    A nice drive, In Gatlinburg--about an hour drive.
    ROARING FORK MOTOR NATURE TRAIL.
    No company needed=
    Outside, but near Gatlinburg "Cades Cove".
    BEST BET--Stop at NATIONAL PARK Headquarters- 1/2 mile from Gatlinburg.
    They have any INFO you might want to know -Less traveled roads ECT.
    !!!!!!!Another just came to mind---GREENBRIAR(national park area also) Area!!!!!!!
    "Ramsey Cascades" DEFINATELY Check this area.
    Still in the national park==East of Gat.

20. Aug 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    newertoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    Just FYI--something you refer as trail==WE CALL ROADS---Just JOKING.
    Have fun--Do you know where the Donut Friar is located?
    What dates will you visit?

Products Discussed in

To Top