1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hunting hounds

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by darrinhutch, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Sep 5, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    darrinhutch

darrinhutch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    darrin
    VA
    Vehicle:
    83 toyota pickup
    Lift with springs, BFG KM2, yeasu ham radio, custom flat bed, browning shift knob, tools box, mag lite, seat and steering wheel cover
    yeah i hope its starts to cool down. hope you get to see one in the tree. going in the morning at 4. hopefully get one going before it gets to hot

2. Sep 5, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    bearhuntermatt

bearhuntermatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD Off Road
    Well my dad was able to get one up today. Was a small sow bear but did the dogs good. Came out as he got to it and my little 4.5 month old pup was biting it and barking every breath to the next tree with the big dogs. Was really happy that she did that for the first one shes ever seen. Going out again in the morning.

Matt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Sep 6, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    darrinhutch

Member:
    First Name:
    darrin
    VA
    Vehicle:
    83 toyota pickup
    Lift with springs, BFG KM2, yeasu ham radio, custom flat bed, browning shift knob, tools box, mag lite, seat and steering wheel cover
    heck yeah man. thats good stuff. i went today and the dogs ran a little cub across the road and i seen it cross. didnt every get to tree one today. but i just glad i got out again

4. Sep 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    bearhuntermatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD Off Road
    That's good ran one and got to see it. I ran one today but was never able to get it treed. We got them off before it got too today. Im going to try it again tomorrow morning for a bit.

5. Sep 7, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    darrinhutch

Member:
    First Name:
    darrin
    VA
    Vehicle:
    83 toyota pickup
    the weather is looking good for this coming saturday. to bad i have to work. good luck

6. Sep 7, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    bearhuntermatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD Off Road
    Got out this morning and struck a hot track as I was coming back out. My young dogs made me really happy, led the whole race and was a mile in front of the other dogs when they crossed the road. They ended up getting it treed shortly after crossing the road and stayed till I got there. Ill get a couple of the pictures up tomorrow.

7. Sep 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    DCOGAR

DCOGAR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Sept 18th 19th and 20th early season in WV. I was mad when I went and got my Tacoma at the dealership. I thought I was supposed to get a free dog box. LIARS.

8. Sep 10, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    darrinhutch

Member:
    First Name:
    darrin
    VA
    Vehicle:
    83 toyota pickup
    good to hear matt. and good luck to yoy daniel. post some pics if you knock any on the ground

9. Sep 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM
    DCOGAR

DCOGAR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Matt what is the breeding of your plotts?. I mainly have the Weems bred hounds...

10. Sep 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    bearhuntermatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD Off Road
    The older dog on the rock goes back to the WV Plott line. I had a Houston Valley dog that got killed a few weeks ago. The brindle plot and the one with white on her chest are litter mates that are year and half old, they are a cross between the WV Plott and Houston Valley. Really happy with the turnout of the litter all were early starters and super fast. The smaller dog is my 5 month old pup who is WV Plott line as well, I haven't got the papers on her yet. Shes starting early too and goes when I turn her out.

11. Sep 10, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    DCOGAR

DCOGAR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    The WV Plott line is a good line. I have a female that goes to it as well. I really like how she has no quit in her.

12. Sep 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    That looks like good time chasing bear with those hounds, and great story about that pup. Nice looking dogs! How far do some of the longer bear chases go before they tree? My buddy has a bunch of coyote hounds, and sometimes they can go up to 20 miles on a single run. It's crazy.

I have a 10 month old beagle pup that's been doing real good so far. Been taking her out a couple times a week and she's starting to jump rabbits on her own. She's loud and fast on the chase, and hasn't been running trash. Getting really excited to be able to take her out for her first rabbit season in about a month. Her mother is out of Branko's One Tuff Ombre blood line (NLPC), and the father is out of West's Montana blood line (NSPC).

Hope to get some pics of us with some dead rabbits for the table this fall. Here are a few I have now though. Anyone else run beagles?

Brandy5_f720ea03888d9a77ce4380c688c2c891c53a44b6.jpg

Brandy4_31277054b3151a40c0e75da1b2263ee88d7c816b.jpg

brandy2_dfea9b55426518ded096ac9299cdf6e4893d1be0.jpg

She even points fish too! :D

brandy_fbff587fc1d517fb231e0668999c2d8117bd9845.jpg

13. Sep 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    bearhuntermatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD Off Road
    Its my favorite type of hunting to do and is always exciting from either striking one from the road or walking the dogs and listening to them get it going and running in mountains while trying to catch back up with them. As for the chase it all depends on the bear, the dogs and their determination, and how well the bear as been educated. Ive had some bear jump straight from the bed and pop right up a tree, others ive ran 10 miles or more and never got treed. A few times we have seen them walk across the road with no dogs and turn on it and they just want to run and not stop.

14. Sep 13, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    JackAttack

JackAttack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Grantville, PA
    Vehicle:
    Stock Blue TRD Sport
    Nice looking pup Snow. I have hunted with beagles my while life. Between dad and I we keep 6. Actually out at the beagle club right now running. 14 of us are heading up to Maine in a month for a week long hare hunt. My favorite time of the year.

15. Sep 18, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    Man, I'd love to make it up north hunting hare sometime. Post up a few pics of the dogs from your trip to Maine when you get back if you have time.

Was thinking about heading up to the northern part of the Allegheny National Forest this year to try and get on a hare with the pup. But they're pretty rare in PA, and I don't have a known spot or anything. Have you ever ran your beagles in the ANF before?

16. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    JackAttack

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Grantville, PA
    Vehicle:
    Stock Blue TRD Sport
    http://s834.photobucket.com/user/ma_leaman/media/Maine Hare Hunt 2011/PA210476.mp4.html
    By far the best video I have taken up there. First year up, hare crosses right after I turn around. It can be tough because the dogs are moving at full speed and the pine trees are so thick that they can go by at 20 yards and you wont see them.

PICT0495_c1bc06d02fb3aa19cf1ab455d652bc36f52407b4.jpg

Some of my cottontail videos. Have alot more on icloud since I stopped using photobucket for videos. They always upload like shit.
    http://s834.photobucket.com/user/ma_leaman/library/Rabbit Hunting Videos

Never hunted the ANF. Tried a couple times in the Lackawanna State Forest but they are hard to find consistently, and it can be quite the zoo with such a short season. I will warn you though, a cottontail chase is never the same after running hare and it is addicting. I spend all year conditioning the hounds for the October and February trips to Maine. The one year someone in the group shot their finger off, so I had to run mine 2 straight days. 50 total miles confirmed by the Garmin tracking collars.

Where in PA are you from?

17. Sep 19, 2014 at 6:49 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    I'm just outside of Butler right now, but family owns a small farm back east near the Danville/Bloomsburg area where I do a lot of hunting. I noticed you had a cottontail video where you were in a Christmas tree farm. Do you ever hunt tree farms much, or see a lot of rabbits on them?

Someone was recently telling me tree farms are good places to find rabbits, not sure why though unless there would be a lot of brush around or something.

18. Sep 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    JackAttack

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Grantville, PA
    Vehicle:
    Stock Blue TRD Sport
    Christmas tree farms are rabbit heaven. Get down and look at from the ground, they provide excellent habitat for rabbits. You don't need briars to hold rabbits, just thick groundcover that provides protection from aerial predators and such. Most Christmas tree farms have them spaced so close that you cannot see the ground while walking through them.

19. Sep 24, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    bearhuntermatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD Off Road
    Been getting to go any Darrin? We have been running several and got some of them treed. I was in Texas but my dad hunted the WV early season but they all ran into VA before we got them treed. My young dogs ran this one 12 miles and got it treed finally. Sunday went out and ended up running a sow with a couple cubs. Got a good video of them crossing the road. Try it again on Saturday.

Matt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Sep 25, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    darrinhutch

Member:
    First Name:
    darrin
    VA
    Vehicle:
    83 toyota pickup
    dang. looking good. i went sunday and we cold trailed and it never warmed up so we pulled dogs off. i wanted to go Saturday but i have to work. good luck to you on!

Products Discussed in

To Top