1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hunting rifle help

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 06tacomakev, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Nov 15, 2014 at 10:58 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    .50 BMG.

2. Nov 15, 2014 at 11:01 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    All right, you have a max range of 500. Not a long distance by shooting standards. Personally I dont like to shoot past that, for the simple reason of its not sporting. I'm a stalker so the closer I can get the better. Plus, your shots are surer. (Except for hogs....fuck them...another story) So your from BC, which means Elk, Deer, the occasional Moose, Bear, etc. So you want a bigger caliber for them. Personally the 7mm is the best all around for them. You can adjust your grain bullet for the prey.

Obviously you want a smaller grain for the smaller prey. My .270 I shoot a 130 grain Hornady SST Interlok for everything. If I were to go for a moose I would readjust my optic for a 165 grain.

We could go into the ballistics but that another thread. So are optics, sighting, etc.

The main thing is, a .308 is a whopper, you are limiting yourself, plus its a bitch of a gun, they hurt after the first 5 shots. I dont care who you are. My .270 I dont want to shoot more than 7 shots out of. Get a gun you can hunt numerous prey with.

I hunt more prey with my 5.56 than anything else, except my.22. The point is you want to be comfy with the weapon. Yeah, its bad ass to have a thumper, everyone wants that, but it should be your toy not your go to.

3. Nov 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM
    06tacomakev

06tacomakev [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    2003 tacoma 4x4 dblcb
    Thx pchop, great advice.
    I am trying to research as much as I can. I am not going to own ten rifles. So one rifle has to be able to cover it all.
    Right now the Tikka T3 is what I keep googling :)

4. Nov 15, 2014 at 11:09 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Here is what mine is. I spent a boat load on it but I can hunt anything in N America with it. Total of roughly $6k between optics and gun, but I will give it to my nephews one day. Not a weapon I will ever sell.
    http://www.sako.fi/sako85.php

I am a bit of a gun snob, but they are my deal. More than my truck. The way I look at them, I buy for life so its worth it to ME.

Ask yourself the right questions is all.

Good luck.

5. Nov 15, 2014 at 11:10 PM
    AK 08TACO

AK 08TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Wasilla, AK
  6. Nov 15, 2014 at 11:14 PM
    06tacomakev

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    2003 tacoma 4x4 dblcb
    lol Sako!!

Was just having a conversation with a guy tonight about them. Super nice rifles for sure. I am just too new to justify that type of money right off the bat. Total respect to those that know their stuff. The woman that owns the kennel I work at swears by them.

7. Nov 15, 2014 at 11:15 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Get the best and work into it. Just treat them right and you will never go wrong.

I might give up my LMT AR for my Sako, tough call.

And my LMT is my baby....just sayin.

8. Nov 15, 2014 at 11:20 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    OP, I started to respond much earlier and figured the thread would have enough opinions.
    Pchop imo has you headed in the right direction.
    Owning many calibers and very familiar with loads, reloading and rifles, I too love the .308 for personal shooting reasons.
    Yep, a 150 grain round with good placement is a contender of one of the best deer rifles in the biz. I have read many articles on the .308 vs. everything and still think you can find a caliber better to suit your needs as an all around gun for any animal you decide to take down.
    But, personally I think you will find it to be a bit of overkill(no pun) for your hunting needs at this time.
    One other thing to consider would be to find a caliber that you can go shoot 20 rounds, have fun and still be able to put your truck into drive with your shooting arm :).
    Many get heated over this debate on reloading/hunting forums and the choice is ultimately yours but, personally I would look at 270 as it is a nice flat shooting round with distance and ammo is relatively easy to locate....even in Canada :).
    Much luck.

9. Nov 15, 2014 at 11:38 PM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    This ^^^^^. I have hunted exclusively with .270. I have shot just about everything else, but .270 I have found is a great all around caliber. It's great for deer, bigger game, varmints, etc. Also make sure you get a good scope, I'm partial to Leupold.

10. Nov 16, 2014 at 12:39 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I recently picked up a Ruger American Predator in 308. My other deer gun is a Marlin 336 chambered in 35rem which I cannot find anywhere. I made the decision that for my new rifle, I'm going to go with a round that you can find anywhere and there will be lots of it.

What drew me to the Predator specifically is the length--38" overall. Where I hunt here in PA it is dense woods. I don't want to be walking around with a longass barrel that'll get caught on everything. The Marlin 336s are often called the ideal PA woods gun due to its overall size...well my new rifle is the same length as the 336 just in a more common caliber.

I've yet to sight it in but I've pretty much only read good things about Ruger Americans so I'm not too worried about it.

FWIW, the other rifle I was contemplating was a Savage 11. It would have been ~$75 cheaper, but it also had the longer length that I didn't really want, and if I had a gunsmith shorten the barrel it would have been pretty close to a wash between the two. Bonus is my barrel is threaded for a can whenever I get around to doing the paperwork for it.

11. Nov 16, 2014 at 1:51 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I hunt moose and caribou. Originally bought a Ruger Model 77 in .338 cal, but I backed off from it for the reasons Pchop mentions; too heavy and hurt to shoot it more than one magazine full. Went to a 30-06 Browning Bolt Action Gold Medallion; I've been very happy with it. Friend has a 7mm, and for a wider range of game, I think it's a great choice. But I'm an absolute novice compared to Pchop, Idaholandho, and a lot of the folks here.

Good luck and happy hunting, both for the right rifle and after. :)

12. Nov 16, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    robu

robu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob1224
    Cottonwood, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport debadged
    kings front and rear 3" expedition deaver pack 700lbs in front. lighted 4x4 switch and fixed temp console
    You really need to borrow or shoot a bunch of different calibers and do ALOT of research for yourself before you decide on what you would like. As you can see a lot of people like a lot of different calibers, and im not saying they are good or bad they all work. here are a couple of websites to get you started on your research, www.snipershide.com , www.longrangehunting.com . Like I said go shoot a bunch of different calibers if you can, that will tell you what you want most of all. I personally shoot a 30-06 which is the big brother to the 308. absolutely love the round but I like the .260 as well and have no problems shooting an elk with it.

I would also recommend getting a .22 and learn to shot the fundamentals with that.

Now to throw you a curve ball. If you really want to learn to hunt, get a bow and shoot a lot. For the last ten years I only hunt big game with a bow A lot more challenging and rewarding but takes practice. even my crossbow feels like cheating now.

Good luck and have fun.!

13. Nov 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Love my Sako TRG's. I don't use them for hunting though but they do some good work at competitive precision shooting.

14. Nov 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    My preference is the '06. As someone else mentioned, the .308 is nearly the same. Reloading makes it a versatile choice. I can shoot 125 gr reloads all day with little discomfort. I think you would find the .308 satisfactory.

15. Nov 16, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    06tacomakev

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    2003 tacoma 4x4 dblcb
    A friend of mine just suggested 270 to me. I am unfamiliar with it. I own and shoot an old .22 Which is fun.
    My buddy did stress that a short light gun would be best for what I am planning. I tend to agree

16. Nov 16, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    As stated prior. Go try out several calibers. That is your best bet for finding what is right for you.

17. Nov 17, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    How do you try out calibers? Rent rifles?

I think a 270, 30-06 and 308 kick very similar. None of them are that bad. Besides. Rifle weight and stock fit play a huge part. You'd have to try all the same make and model. I think.

18. Nov 17, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I am casting another vote for the Tikka based on all the good reports I have heard on it from various gun/hunting sites.

And the .308 is a great choice, an almost universally popular big game hunting round. Now, is it ideal or even appropriately sized for small game, squirrels or ground hogs where you may fire a couple dozen rounds or more during a hunt, of course not.

But most deer or bigger game is one or two shot at maximum for a safe and ethical hunter.

19. Nov 17, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    I've got the Remington 700 in 270 and love it. It's the ADL package and is all black. Great gun IMO. I know some people like them for their aftermarket modifications. Kinda like the Remington 870 shotgun.

20. Nov 17, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    There are alot of gun ranges that have rifles to try out. Not sure if there are any in the OP's area, but I would start there.

Ask friends who have them, etc. I just grew up around guns and had the opportunity to shoot all types and over the years have whittled down to what I feel are appropriate weapons for a particular job you are looking for them to do.

OP you may need to take a trip into Washington if that is feasible for you. Since I am not familiar with Canadian gun laws I dont know what restrictions ranges have there. There are several gun ranges just over the border though.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top