1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hybrid / Commuter Bike

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Juggernaut, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Apr 27, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    White Double Cab Off Road
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    If your budget is only $800 I'd start looking at fixed gear bikes. You can get a decent fixy for under $800. Try the Giant Bowery, Specialized Langster, or Trek 5th district. Fixy's are pretty good commuters. That's why so many bike messengers use them. Not to mention that they are cheaper initially, and maintenance wise.

If you're going to buy anything else, you should get at least Shimano Ultegra (or comparable) gears. Anything less than that will be shredded in a year or two. Then you will be looking at a new bike or new gears, which will cost you almost as much.

2. Apr 28, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I'm fascinated (but will never be one) by single speed riders. I'm not talking about someone who just puts around a neighborhood on one like we did on our BMX's when we were kids. I'm talking about some of these hard core MTN bike riders riding on single speeds...crazy to me.

I was camping and riding in Smithville, TX a couple of months ago, and a buddy of mine and I ran into a guy from MN riding there. Smithville (Rocky Hill Ranch) has some pretty tough hills...I was using every single one of my lower gears. This guy from MN was riding a single speed mountain bike on these hills. Not a cheapo one either, about a $3000 custom built job. I was pretty impressed he could climb as good as he was on a single speed.

I guess it's a new purist mtn bike movement or something.

3. May 25, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner AC Sport Rally 5 Spd
    Tail gate hose clamp, Front Windows 50% tint, fog lights, 894 backup light mod, LED license & interior.
    Ok, so it's down to these two:
    Bianchi Camaleonte Uno
    [​IMG]
    Speacialized Sirrus Elite
    [​IMG]

I need to decide asap because my bike was stolen today.

4. May 26, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner AC Sport Rally 5 Spd
    Tail gate hose clamp, Front Windows 50% tint, fog lights, 894 backup light mod, LED license & interior.
    Bought the Sirrus, fit better, despite loving the look of the Bianchi. I hope to put many miles on this bad boy.

5. May 27, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I'm sure you will.

A good way to ensure that is to occasionally sign up for some local charity bike rides. They usually range from 10 to 100 miles.

6. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    +1 on the cyclocross bike. I found a surly cross check on cl for pretty cheap. I stripped the paint with aircraft stripper had it powder coated and put new decals on it. Then I found a parts bike on cl for cheap but can't bring myself to strip it down because its so nice. The donor bike is a fuji cross comp I scored for $300 in great shape. BTW look up surly cross check online and you will see that it has been the go-to bike for many for several years.

url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/166526/cat/500][​IMG][/url]

To Top