1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hybrid engine

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ryans4x4, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Aug 25, 2020 at 9:28 AM
    Pilsner

Pilsner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRDOR
    255/85r16 ST Maxx 6112/5160 w/ Dakar RCI armor, sliders, and rear bumper CBI hidden winch mount w/ Smity 20k

Were discussing future changes for the Tacoma. I don't have a need for a new truck at this time. I'm probably years out barring an accident or just changing life needs. When I'm ready to buy, I'll buy what fits my needs, whether or not that's another Tacoma. I bought this truck because it was what I wanted (or as close as can be found in factory form), I hope that they can deliver that in the future. If not, someone else will.

Kev250R likes this.
  2. Aug 25, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    willconltd

willconltd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Florida
    Here's my rational take on the whole California screwing up the power grid.

1) You have to understand that power grids are a zero sum game. If you get too much power, shit blows up. Too little power, and you get backouts. Power companies would rather a blackout than blowing transformers across the state.

2) California is at PEAK SOLAR. That's a great accomplishment. That means they generate more electricity during the couple hours that the sun is high in the sky than the state can use. This is good, but it comes with challenges because of #1. They have to spin up the gas plants to fill the gap, but they have to GUESS how much to spin them up and how much to generate. Its literally reading the future from a crystal ball. Its anything but easy. Seriously, just think about how insane that challenge is and its a regular every day thing they do.

3) We have no EFFICIENT storage of electricity. No joke. Batteries? No way. The most efficient thing is called pumped hydro. It pumps water up a hill to go back through a generator turbine later on to get the power back. Its not all that efficient, but its the most reliable and consistent thing we have today. Yes, there are lots of new tech on the horizon from salt heat storage and giant cranes picking up huge concrete blocks, but honestly they aren't readily available today and will take decades to work out.

4) Renewable power is peaky and unreliable. You got clouds? Less power. Wind stops blowing as hard, less power. Wind blows super hard? MORE POWER! But they have to balance that spike out almost instantaneously because of #1. This takes some crazy algorithms and math and processing power. Electricity moves just as fast as data, so you don't have much time to react if any. Natural gas plants are the fastest thing we have in terms of output changes. You can spin up a natural gas turbine faster than you can just about anything else. (Scotland is very proud of its water turbines and there are some great documentations about digitizing the highlands water systems to be faster to react to demand changes.) Also, the move to natural gas over coal and oil is one of the big reasons the USA meets and exceeds all the metrics set forth by the Climate Summits, even if we didn't sign or ratify them.

I'm happy that California is screwing up all this stuff, but that's because they are learning how deal with these challenges. This is good for everyone that doesn't live in California. They are pushing green energy too hard and the grid is struggling to keep up.

We need more renewable energy for sure, free power from sunlight is a great thing. We need to be pragmatic about its implementation, and these teething issues should be expected when pushing for more green energy.

3. Aug 25, 2020 at 10:37 AM
    willconltd

Member:
    Orlando, Florida
    What? My Taco is state of the art without a doubt. I got radar cruise control, lane departure warning, automatic high beams, google maps, android auto, a self shifting transmission, auto stop, power windows, power mirrors, and disk brakes up front.

I can't imagine wanting a hybrid taco though. That seems like a really stupid idea to me. You want to sell me a fully electric taco, that would be cool. Otherwise, give me a regular engine. You can always give us the 1KD-FTV diesel if you want to branch out. Having a hybrid just means more things to break the instant the warranty runs out.

4. Aug 25, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    Grindstone

Grindstone Requires Adult Supervision

Member:
    Yeah, point being most of that has been available on other makes for years.

The whole reason I bought a Tacoma was reliability. I would trust Toyota's hybrid over most any other maker.

5. Aug 25, 2020 at 10:54 AM
    willconltd

Member:
    Orlando, Florida
    I guess so. But I would trust a Toyota non-hybrid more than ANY hybrid.

shakerhood likes this.
  6. Aug 25, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    Grindstone

Member:
    Technology only ever improves. By the time I clap this truck out, I'm sure we'll have some great stuff.

7. Aug 25, 2020 at 11:20 AM
    willconltd

Member:
    Orlando, Florida
    If you don't think you have some great stuff now I have a 97 ford ranger you need to drive for a week.

8. Aug 25, 2020 at 11:29 AM
    Grindstone

Member:
    I was referring to the hybrid tech.
    Believe me, I know how great this truck is. I came from Chevys. This is my 2nd Tacoma after I ran the first for 5 years/100k+ miles with ZERO problems. This one is bound to be a 10-year truck at least.

Junkhead and Malvolio like this.
  9. Aug 25, 2020 at 2:15 PM
    Tripod1404

Tripod1404 Annihilator tripod

Member:
    Dams are pretty environmentally unfriendly though. They screw up the river ecosystem both up and downstream of the dam and flood pristine river coast environment. I would take nuclear over hydroelectric any day. Dams are even more dangerous than nuclear, a single dam failure in China killed 175k people in the 70s.

Malvolio likes this.
  10. Aug 25, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    Hooper89

Hooper89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD Sport
    Reactors are pretty dangerous when poorly constructed/mismanaged as well. Plus Cali is running out of water. The valley situation is getting bad with all the farms drilling because the reservoir and irrigation water isn’t enough.

11. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:01 PM
    TacoMTga

TacoMTga Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    And just me thinks full electric makes tons more sense

I would just skip hybrid cause to me its just too complicated

12. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    =JSG=

=JSG= Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 OR to 2021 DC TRD OR 4x4 SB
    Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 lows, Squadron-R Sport , Method NVs, Bilstein 6112/5160
    Correct, Approximately 195,000 + ft/lbs @ 200 rpm ;) on the massive traction motors.

13. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:06 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    I would like an electric vehicle that also happens to have a gas engine that turns a generator - but doesn't directly drive the wheels. I could run it on battery 90% of the time, and then when I do want to take a trip to the boonies, just fill'r up and go. And it could potentially power my house during an outage.

COTacoTime and Junkhead like this.
  14. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    COTacoTime

COTacoTime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport BBP
    Icon stage 2 lift, Goodyear UltraTerrains, Tepui RTT
    I believe this is exactly what you’re looking for

38722006-5C8F-45F8-BD6F-18C2C4F9B22D.jpg

15. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    MDFM31

MDFM31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chester Co, PA
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSBOR
    [/QUOTE]
    2 door Bollinger. SWEET.

16. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT
    Didn't Toyota/Yamaha say that solid state batteries are 5-years away with 600 mile range? Also, Telsa has a big announcement in September. Many suspect it may be either a 1 million mile battery or a solid state battery.

I think the age of the combustion engine may be over. My oldest son is 5. By the time he is 18, I don't think he will want a Gasoline powered vehicle, and I think gas powered vehicles will only be used in limited situations.

Electric vehicles are already faster, and are expected to the have better range soon. Combine this with the fact that an electric vehicle is, by design, a more simple machine with less moving parts and potential problem areas, and I don't really see myself buying an gasoline vehicle after my Tacoma.

With companies like Toyota and Ford moving into the E-car game, I think we might see Teenagers hot-rodding again. Current generation Gasoline engines are extremely complex machines. How much efficiency was gained with these every increasingly complex systems? R&D labs are spending 100's of milllions to increase efficiency by 1% in most cases if that.

There is a reason why the Saudi's want to IPO Aramco and get of the oil business.

Junkhead, Grindstone and 0xDEADBEEF like this.
  17. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:24 PM
    MDFM31

MDFM31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chester Co, PA
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSBOR
    I drive a friend's Tesla P100D the other day. I did not like it at all, and I have been very excited about EV's, up until I drove my first one. Very fast of course, but the panache was not there. It was like driving an iPhone. I think EV's are awesome and a huge leap forward in so many areas, but I am no longer in a hurry to buy one.

Junkhead likes this.
  18. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:26 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    I haven't driven one, but I definitely haven't seen one that grabs my interest. I really just want an electric version of my taco :laughing: - bare bones, no whizbang tech. Its a truck, not a movie theater.

Junkhead likes this.
  19. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:35 PM
    MDFM31

MDFM31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chester Co, PA
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSBOR
    It's really odd. I would test drive any EV if you get the chance before you get too excited about it like I did. I just couldn't connect with it on any level.

In defence of my Prius, I tell people it is a fantastic appliance. It moves things from A to B very efficiently and with little drama. The Tesla is just a very fast and expensive appliance. I really did not care how fast I was accelerating in it. It was boring.

20. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

yet thousands o pounds of diesel fuel

smog air pollution at All times

efficient only after dividing cost total weight against the results

unlikely to follow thru with vehicles........too many negatives

in recent years europe has been averaging more than 60% sales in diesels