1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hybrid trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by eyball, May 2, 2012.

1. May 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    eyball

eyball [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    Wife wants to get a travel trailer for camping rather than keep tenting, is 3200 dry weight gong to be too much on the v6 with tow package? I don't want a bigger truck and the wife does not want a pop up. We need to fit us and 2 little kids. Probably won't be going more tan a few hundred miles way too.

On another note, do you need a better hitch than the tow package comes with to tow one of these units? I tow a 1500# boat all the time but ever a camper. I also never had the leaf spring TSB done on my 05.

2. May 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The V6 tow package can handle 6500, but do watch your tongue weight.
    That can climb over max when the water tank is full and the holding tanks are empty.

From a handling/fuel economy POV, I'd seriously try to talk her into a tent trailer/pop-up.
    A conventional trailer is a large brick being towed by a smaller brick and fuel economy will tank (like in the 7-12mpg range!).

3. May 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the feedback on this. It really makes me think we would be better off with a popup at least for towing anyway. The problem is a bathroom is a must with two little kids but I guess there are some units with toilets in them.

4. May 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Lots of pop ups have toilets in them and a pop up will tow a LOT better than a full height travel trailer. Also, look at Hi-Los, kind of the best of both worlds.

Just so you know, the Toyota receiver is much beefier than just about any other aftermarket alternatives. They're stout.

5. May 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

These aren't Silverados we're talking about. The Toyota hitch is excellent and can handle more than the frame.

6. May 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the advice guys! So I think I convinced the wife that a popup is ok as long as its nice enough for her and has the toilet.

One last question, if I get a model that is about 3000# loaded and 300-350# tounge weight can I just use the stock tow package setup or do I need more equipment? I dont want a dealer trying to sell me crap I dont need.

Thanks again for all the advice.

7. May 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    You're fine with the stock package up to the limit of the truck (6500lbs) though trailer brakes are a VERY good idea on anything over 3500 IMHO.

You have the towing package, so other than the brake controller, you're set.
    The truck is wired for the brake controller and the harness should have been in the glove box when you bought it.
    The tow package includes the 7-wire trailer connector, receiver, and trans cooler.

You're set.
    Anything beyond that would be something like an EZ-Lift or other sway control (using leverage to decrease the effective tongue weight)... Dad put an EZ-Lift on the 22ft Prowler and I used to joke that we could use it to lift the rear tires on the '74 Blazer.
    Damned near could...

But the point in the antisway is to shift weight from the rear wheels to the front wheels to help with more positive steering.
    Some systems add a 3rd link that acts as another stabilizer.
    But a pop-up/tent trailer, I don't think you'll need anything like that.
    We went all over the western states with an 18ft Starcraft tend trailer and that K5 Blazer (35" tires, short wheelbase) and it was not a problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top