1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I’m personally not parking next to a Tesla ever again..

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by OCD TACO, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Dec 29, 2021 at 3:14 AM
    TheWhole9Yards

TheWhole9Yards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just flat tow behind a truck like TheStraightPipes did.

2. Dec 29, 2021 at 10:01 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    I don't know if that's a good idea even if the car will go into neutral.

I saw a Mini Cooper Clubman being flat towed behind a motor home. I gues that's ok if it's a FWD manual. I still don't know about doing that at highway speeds.

3. Dec 29, 2021 at 11:31 AM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    TLDR - Tesla fires on average happen for every 205 million miles driven. Ice fires come every 19 million miles driven. In the past 8 years there have been 63 Tesla fires reported vs 2,000,000 ICE fires.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. What's really too bad is how math is taught. Statistics can be a useful tool, but you do have to know how to use them. Kind of like a power saw, you can build a beautiful house or cut your hand off. It just depends on the skill of the user and/or their desire to misrepresent and deceive. The reason EV fires are news is because they are so incredibly rare. As you hint Teslas represent about 2% of the cars and are 10 time LESS likely to burn, so when it happens it is like winning the lottery. It's hard to find numbers but I did find a site that tracks reported Tesla fires and from 2013 - 2021 there have been 63 Tesla fires reported in the news. In that same time period there have been about 2 million ICE car fires. Another way to look at it is for every Tesla fire, 31,000 ICE cars burn. (It's probably higher than that because I'm using 2 million ICE fires in the US vs 63 Tesla fires world wide.)

No fires, ICE or EV are OK. EV fires are harder to extinguish. Are EV fires something to worry about, no.

links, because without documentation it didn't happen
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicle_fire_incidents
    https://www.tesla-fire.com/
    https://www.usfa.fema.gov/data/statistics/#causes
    https://insideevs.com/news/501729/number-tesla-vehicle-fires-2020/

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    HUTCHRED and DingleTower like this.
  4. Dec 29, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual ;)

Member:
    Out of how many tesla's and EV's sold? Not just vehicles that caught fire in general. If the ratio to tesla's sold that end up catching fire no matter the cause is higher than the millions of normal vehicles sold that catch fire, then that's all that matters. I don't believe they make the news because they are rare, more because the extent of them and why they happen. I'm personally not concerned with the fires, and I agree, nothing to worry about in general. But the rest of the issue with maintenance on these fancy electric vehicles and the cost far outweigh the cost of maintenance on a normal vehicle. All I'm saying is when one of these catch fire it's news because of why, not that it's rare.

TBH, I am more interested in the stuff not "reported". Like how many people end up not shelling out the thousands of dollars for repairs on these things for basic stuff. Like thousands of dollars to replace headlights... Even our Tacoma's have gone the route of having super expensive headlights. But they are easily replaceable at least.

All I care about is at least we are on the right path. But right now, people buying into this tech are shouting from a caboose and the conductor doesn't even know they exist. I hope the technology improves and becomes cheaper, but given the way the market and world economy is looking, somehow, it's getting more expensive.

I dunno, call me when F1, Nascar, NASA, and airplanes start using it. When a rocket stops using more fuel than an entire nation does in a year, then I'll be interested.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  5. Dec 29, 2021 at 4:40 PM
    Taco 422

Taco 422 Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2 AC v6 TRD SR5 Prerunner
    Cool, you fail to account for how short an Amount of time electric vehicles have been on the market versus how long internal combustion vehicles have been on the market. There’s60+ years of combustion cars on the roads and almost exclusively fossil fueled trucks, Notice how the site you found starts tracking electrical vehicle fires beginning in 2013. Electric vehicles are in large part simply commuter cars and some SUVs.

Montana_Actual likes this.
  6. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:19 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    I could google all EVs that for you, but since everyone is hating on Tesla their numbers are easier to find. In the total life time of Tesla they have sold 1.9 million cars, and let's round up to say 100 total have burned. In the same period 80 million ICE cars have been sold and 2 million of them have burned. A few seconds with a calculator shows that .01% of all teslas ever sold have burned vs 2.5% of ICE cars.

As far as maintenance on EVs I'm not sure what you're talking about. EVs are vastly simpler from a mechanical point of view than ICE cars. There are no oil changes or tune ups. So what maintenance does an EV need that an ICE car doesn't? (don't say batteries. Battery tech has vastly improved.)

So Tesla's and Tacomas' have expensive headlights. I think the bigger point you are making is that modern cars suck when it comes to repair. I completely and 100% agree with you. But, it's not just cars, pretty much everything is designed to be thrown away at the slightest glitch. There is a "right to repair" movement that is trying to gain footing to force manufactures to allow owners to fix the things they own. We'll see how that goes I support them fully.

I think the conductor is hearing what the people want very well. Hyundai is closing it ICE development group to focus on EV engineering. All of the major auto makers are working on EV's. I'm pretty sure they all have some high powered analysts and accountants saying the need to do this.

Ring, ring - F1 cars are hybrids now. Nascar is dying and can't get or keep sponsors, but I doubt that's because of their engines. NASA is pretty big into solar power. And there are some prototype electric airplanes. Battery tech needs to improve though before electric airplanes are viable. The problem with all of those arguments is it says that if a technology isn't good for everything, it's good for nothing. In my opinion EVs are viable for a lot of people. If you're not one of those people, don't buy an EV.

If you've got better numbers, post them with links.

Oh and links because without documentation it didn't happen.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/199974/us-car-sales-since-1951/
    https://backlinko.com/tesla-stats
    https://www.compare.com/electric-cars/guides/how-long-does-a-tesla-battery-last

7. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:22 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual ;)

Member:
    I stopped reading at "battery tech has improved".

Taco 422 likes this.
  8. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:28 PM
    TheWhole9Yards

TheWhole9Yards Well-Known Member

Member:
    batacoma[QUOTED] and Taco 422 like this.
  9. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:28 PM
    Taco 422

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    ITT we see who has nothing to do but sit at their desk at night googling facts to argue over the internet. It's like grade 4 all over again.

10. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:29 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual ;)

Member:
    Wait... do you have a link to prove that it was posted at night time? These timestamps can be misleading...

Honestly though, nothing out of the ordinary here. Admittedly, I did click the links and instantly found my face wresting on my palm.

11. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:32 PM
    Taco 422

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    I would but my dad wakes up when I loose the connection and have to dial it back up so he sent me to bed and I lost the link :(

12. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:33 PM
    Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma SX 3.5 4x4 BRM AC
  13. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    stevesnj

stevesnj Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey/Philly Area
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser 80 Series
    Are you buying an EV?

14. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:35 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual ;)

Member:
    Details in sig.

15. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:36 PM
    stevesnj

Member:
    South Jersey/Philly Area
    Vehicle:
    Doesn't say

16. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:37 PM
    Doc62

Doc62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2019 Sahara
    Im not against Teslas or other EVs, just wish we had better capabilities to extinguish fires in EVs outside of throwing thousands of gallons of water at them. There are quite a few on the road in my area, but since we’re a rural area with limited water access, it’s not like we can hook up to a hydrant if one catches fire. We typically only have what we bring with us. And no our tanker does not have wings. Wish it did, might be able to get up hills quicker. :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    DingleTower likes this.
  17. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    DingleTower

DingleTower My truck is like yer truck

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    Still using those old NiCad batteries in your drill?

stevesnj likes this.
  18. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:52 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual ;)

Member:
    No but the ones I do use I can replace myself... Just sayin...

19. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    stevesnj

Member:
    South Jersey/Philly Area
    Vehicle:
    So do you ever intend to own an EV?

20. Dec 29, 2021 at 5:59 PM
    Montana_Actual

Montana_Actual ;)

Member:
    For the sake of whatever you are trying to prove, sure, why not? I'll buy into what you are attempting to sell me... Speak freely.

Products Discussed in

To Top