1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I drew my weapon in self defense: Gun owners & Dog Walkers

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Specalt, May 28, 2013.

1. May 31, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    I have to agree, this is not as practical to carry on a daily basis as a gun or smaller stun-gun. It is probably excellent for anti-dog attack defense, but that doesn't mean it's easier to run with or will save you against other types of attacks.

2. May 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    I like this one:cool:

3. May 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Said no one EVER

4. May 31, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    No disrespect or condescending tone meant to you either, but don't just foolishly assume I'm speaking about something I know nothing about.

5. May 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    This ^^ very well said.

6. May 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    In most cases, a SMG wouldn't even the odds with a carload of gangbangers. :rofl:

7. May 31, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    But you are, with comments like "most states" and "brandishing" as it relates to law enforcement is a "crime". It's very clear that you do not.

8. May 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    I guess I don't find a gun to be practical against a dog. When they are running at you at full speed, you would have to be a pretty good shot to hit them, no? And once they are close enough to bite you, now they're almost to close to shoot. Plus you run the risk of someone in the area getting struck by a stray bullet or something. Stun batons are pretty new, but I'm sure there is a holster available, or on the way, that allows you to run with it just as you could run with a knife holster.

Idk, the ability to scare away the dog before it even gets to you is a big plus for me. And if that doesn't happen, the baton seems like a better close range weapon than a firearm. Plus nothing ends up dead.... not that that's a major deal breaker for me but it's a plus.

9. May 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    But the heart pounding fun,,,worth it

10. May 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    audi2000

audi2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rockwood Maine, Englewood Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRDoffroad 4x4 6spd
    you really need to sue the guy.

11. May 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    Again, not saying it's not good against dogs, but not as good against everything else. (shrug) certainly anything is better than nothing, but a firearm is best against most. Of course there are drawbacks, but I am a pretty instinctual shooter having grown up around them and shot lots of moving targets at various distances. I can certainly say others don't share my comfort or experience level. -I- personally think I could hit center mass on one or two large dogs running at me with just a second or two warning depending on the type of carry. Even if they came up from behind I'd rather take the hit, and know that I can pull and fire a pistol in very close space like if I was turtled on the ground or trying to avoid taking damage to my head/face/neck. If I have to unsheathe a 12-18" baton at my side, I don't know that I could. Also a handgun is SPECIFICALLY in it's most potent form at close range and can be used by only one hand, either one. I'm right handed, If one or more pitbulls were biting and shaking me by the head/neck/shoulders on my right side, I doubt I could hit it very hard while on the ground. (don't mistake that for being cavalier, I have a healthy respect for guns, just like I do operating a vertical mill or engine lathe or band saw. They can kill or would me easily if I get a sudden case of the dumbs.)

12. May 31, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    Truthfully I'm not a big fan of anything automatic other than for the cool/fun factor. Sure you can put a long quick stream into a target, but personally I think 3 round burst is the most anyone should ever use if you want to hit something and not just waste ammo. I like the MP5 for example, but I'd hate to have an empty mag after two one-second bursts that just happen to be 15 rounds each. I'll take the 10 3-round bursts or even better 30 quick but controlled/aimed shots at whatever is in my sights. 900 rounds per minute is 15 per second.. too fast to do anything other than overkill and have the weapon drawn off target while dumping the rest of my ammo. lol

But I guess like anything, there is a purpose and a time and place.

13. May 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:

F.U. A.HOLE! Ok, maybe I don't mean that. But I certainly agree that dogs are awesome. Here is my walking and traveling buddy with my kids and the little friend I'm thinking about getting him tomorrow. (A Beabull to go with my Beagle) :D:D:D

beagull.jpg

And the new guy if I can talk the wifey into dealing with potty training again: Adorable!

beagbull2.jpg

beagbull.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  14. May 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Stun guns are worthless anyways.

The sparking sound is NOT going to scare a dog away, and they are only effective on maybe 75% of human attackers.

Buddy's GF in college decided that she would buy a stun gun so she wouldn't have to take the "mace class".
    We both told her it was worthless.
    She refused to believe it until we showed her.
    I winked at my buddy. He told her "Rich is going to come at you, use that thing the way you're supposed to"
    I moved in on her. ZAP square in the chest... didn't even slow me down.
    Buddy said "You just REALLY pissed him off"

She took the class and bought the mace.

15. May 31, 2013 at 11:49 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Now if we shoot you with the prongs I will guarantee you going down. I've been hit with the prongs and that shit hits you like a brick wall. The contact tazer doesn't work like sticking a couple prongs in your chest. Mace over contact tase but prongs over both, but by then I think we are beyond injuring a person haha handicap parking pass is the realm we are diving in.

16. May 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Mace I haven't experienced so I can't really comment on it completely, I think mace can fuck you with so bad because of the physical and emotional distress, you go blind and that increases all your senses right there so I can imagine its probably one of the worst pains out there. Fuck mace haha

17. May 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ditto.
    As a traffic signal electrician, you might say that I'm somewhat immune to electric shocks.

Ya, I've been bit HARD a few times both for work and hobby.
    Most recently, rainy morning, kneeling on a wet sidewalk, and the 110vac was nailing the piss out of me while I was trying to get the intersection back online.
    But I'll test for 120v with two fingers if I don't have a meter handy.

Spray? That scares the shit out of me.
    I don't like what yellow peppers do to my asshole the day after I eat them. I sure as fuck don't want them in my eyes!

18. Jun 1, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

in GA they could if it was a long gun :p

19. Jun 1, 2013 at 5:53 AM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    I've been fried pretty bad being a welder and having worked in less than ideal conditions, but I think being sprayed with OC/mace/pepper spray is way worse. I used to do a little bit of fugitive recovery and work security at a nightclub for the gangster crowd. I wanted to know what getting sprayed felt like, so I had my fugitive recovery partner spray my with OC. HOLY SHIT, that sucked. Eyelids where peeling for a few days, skin burned over my whole front side cause I was an idiot and took a shower. One of the most miserable experiences of my life. But I'd take a gun and a good knife for self defense over anything else

20. Jun 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    TacomaSportLB

TacomaSportLB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dad
    Chambersburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB MGM 4x4
    YWM, Front 5100's @ 2.5", Rear 5100's, 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, Safety Rack, Fog Light Anytime, DRL Switch, Differential Breather Mod, UWS TBSD63ALPB ToolBox, AMP Research BedStep, Bedrug Tailgate Mat, aFe Air Filter, Dee Zee Heavyweight Bed Mat, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Auto Ventshade In-Channel Ventvisors, Stant Locking Fuel Cap, Plasti Dipped Badges
    Make sure you pick up your dogshit when it takes a crap on other ppls or public property too!!! :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top