1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I got a lemon?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Fguiza27, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Oct 24, 2016 at 10:50 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Call corporate, start the buy back conversation. Really easy process when you have documentation. Rarely do you need a lawyer.

2. Oct 24, 2016 at 11:11 PM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Off Road 4x4 Super White
    Stock and loving it
    Time to talk to Dirk

He's been busy

3. Oct 25, 2016 at 4:31 AM
    Outlier

Outlier I get around...

Member:
    Dallas GA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma AC TRD OR 4x4 V6 Slushbox
    No BRO-ness to speak of... Well, except Kbro2's
    Better call Saul....

[​IMG]

James_Bond and Spare Parts like this.
  4. Oct 25, 2016 at 4:46 AM
    bradwhitenikki

bradwhitenikki Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Trd Off Road 6sp Auto
    I know it is a pain in the butt, though, if you got the platinum waranty, you may want to hold tight. Toyota will fix the problem. At least you are protected through 125,000 miles.

bobrown14 likes this.
  5. Oct 25, 2016 at 4:52 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    Have you talked to the dealership about having the truck replaced?

6. Oct 25, 2016 at 4:58 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I would think that the failure would have to be the same thing three times. The differential was replaced three times but not necessarily due to the same failure. This would be the the only issue.

Toyko Joe likes this.
  7. Oct 25, 2016 at 5:34 AM
    16inferno

16inferno 2017 dc sport

Member:
    This is what I would do based on having gone through a similar situation, I'm just giving my feedback and I'm not sure this will help at all but it's something. Also my situation was very early when the trucks had just come out, Maybe a few months after they launched the 3rd gen. I also must add that I had purchased multiple cars from that dealer within a few months and I was exchanging my Tacoma for another vehicle from that same dealer. I built a pretty strong case with both the GM and the service director. I can truly say that corporate did not do as much, it was the involvement of the two main people at the dealership that helped make it happen. Now I'm not saying that corporate did absolutely nothing but the dealership did not want me to wait and go through the process, they wanted to fix things and have a happy customer. My point on all this is that the dealer has a lot more influence on the situation than most people think, I would try and see if they can offer any support if you have not already tried this approach. if this does not work than you must look at the options, how much is your time worth and maybe looking at the option of trading out of it, can't see the loss being that much. I'm sure it's nothing compared to lost time and cost of a lawyer. Or see if they can make it right the third time, won't hurt to try.

Also just my opinion, I don't think this is a lemon. I just don't think they know what they are looking for and maybe taking it to another dealer would not be a bad idea. That's a lot of replacement for a small issue. They are replacing crap in hopes that it will fix the issue.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  8. Oct 25, 2016 at 5:41 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ...^^^... The interesting part would be ..... who was OEM of the differential???

Was it Toyota or an outside vendor/supplier?

Toyota has a track record of using better vendors/suppliers than many American manufacturers ... primarily due to their location to excellent vendors in Japan.

9. Oct 25, 2016 at 5:42 AM
    Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Kindling crackles and the smoke curls up...

Member:
    Colorful Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB SR5 4X4 "ikea furniture haulers" edition.
    Wow. I'm kinda surprised they replaced the whole diff for a leaky seal. When they replaced the diff, was it the whole axel or just the diff? I'm wondering if something is up with the housing and maybe it needs replacement.

Technically, it might be a lemon, but it really sounds like they just haven't found what the real problem is. IMO, a lemon would have a bunch of different things wrong with it and not just improper diagnosis of what the issue is.

I wonder with all of the "diff" issues, is the problem really in the housing and everyone just keeps looking at the diff.

Toyko Joe likes this.
  10. Oct 25, 2016 at 6:43 AM
    bobrown14

bobrown14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    bunch of stuff - Bro Pro style
    Ok guys ... this diff is the larger 8.75" rear diff - he's in a TRD manual. My point is there's been many defective diffs reported here that are the 8" diff that comes with the auto trannies. The only truck that gets the larger 8.75" diff are the TRDs with lockers/auto or manual OR the TRD with manual. I think the majority of failures howling whatever have been the 8" diff with a few exceptions... correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm starting to think there's something else going on with the drive line ... it is all new with the 3rd gen. Replacing 3 diffs and the truck is still not right.... I'm going to go out on a common sense limb here and say MAYBE it's not the diff. Just sayin....

I've been paying very close attention to my drive line lately... since my dealership that does my service seems to think I don't need to ever lube it... I lubed my own last week and immediately started getting +3mpg better gas mileage and I could feel something wasn't quite right coasting down hills before the lube... usually coasting down hills I'd gain speed but I was staying the same or slowing down.

I remember how smooth it felt when new I had to hit brakes going down hills, lately I was actually slowing down without braking... and my mpgs were at less that 15mpg before lube, after lube @ 19mpg best ever since owning the truck. A lot of black goo came out when I lubed it and I had lubed it the first time @ 4k miles with synthetic grease.

I've also went and installed a carrier bearing shim kit at time of lube. Maybe there's something off with the stock drive line angles on some trucks. My carrier bearing shims helped as well as a good lube. ???

Toyko Joe likes this.
  11. Oct 25, 2016 at 6:56 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    unfortunately 100% of oil change maintainence shops including dealerships do not lube the driveline, on my truck I just forgo taking it to these places and do the oil change and lube myself, I don't think they even have the equipment anymore to do the u joint lubing or they probably would do it, makes no sense not to.

12. Oct 25, 2016 at 6:58 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    If you think you have a lemon, then its time to make some lemonade.

1st- Have a conversation with your service manager, whats the thinking there.
    2nd- almost first- open a case with Toyota.
    3rd- Read your states lemon laws, note every place you feel pertains to your situation.
    4th-Do not let Toyota or dealer play the "its normal" card, and force them to fix it, you do have the big fancy warranty now.

If you don't get what your looking for at this point, then talk to an lawyer or legal folks you know, whats their thoughts? Is it worth paying for legal representation?

Oh and if they do lemon your truck, and you get another Toyota, force them to transfer that warranty over.

13. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:00 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Not to hijack thread ... but what lube do you guys use on your driveline and can the same lube be used on all the zerks ?

Thanks

14. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:04 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    any NGLI Grade #2 lube works I use Redline, but any #2 used on a regular basis is fine, I lube at every oil change

SOSHeloPilot[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:13 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    What is going on with these? Can anyone remember back to when the 2nd gens launched? Where do the 2016/2017 rank up with say the 06-06's of the 2nd gen as far as problems go. Serious question, i dont know.
    I bought a 2015 thinking i would like to upgrade in year 3 of the 3rd gens, but i wanted to know how they compared to other launches.

16. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:13 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    ...^^^... Thanks

17. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    bobrown14

bobrown14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    bunch of stuff - Bro Pro style
    SOSHeloPilot likes this.
  18. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    actually lots of peeps use the walmart super tech #2 general purpose grease its cheap and available locally and works [​IMG]

SOSHeloPilot[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    maypearl

maypearl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Maypearl, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco DCSB 4X4, 16 Canyon Diesel 4X4 SLT
    Definitely don't go scorched earth with the dealer or Toyota. In these cases, the GM can be your best friend, or worst enemy. It's time to open a case with Toyota and definitely let them know you are considering hiring an attorney for a lemon law case, in a polite, but matter of fact way. You would rather not, but they have had plenty of attempts to get it right. No manufacturer wants a car bought back under the Lemon Law, because those transactions are reported and tracked. Bad press. Most will give you "trade assistance" instead and help you out, if they truly think the truck is lemon worthy. This way no one knows that truck is a lemon. Also the dealer can send it to auction, and it will sell for more, since it's not designated as a lemon. Less overall cost to Toyota, than branding it a lemon. Toyota will probably help you out. Also, it wouldn't hurt to let them know you are a member of the Taco forum. They hate bad press in social media.

SOSHeloPilot and Spare Parts like this.
  20. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    my 2nd GEN I bought last year used runs flawlessly, buying a 2015 2nd GEN seems like a very good idea

Papasuicide and tomwil like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top