1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I got the letter!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tman12, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Mar 17, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i got my letter last year..never got my truck checked. Do I HAVE to? I dont have the money for a new truck if mine does get bought back:(

2. Mar 17, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

do you HAVE to? no

SHOULD you? probably

it sucks...id hate to be in your shoes...but itd suck even worse if you hit a bump and your truck crumbles at 60mph :(

to help out...with yours being a 96? you'd prob get it bought back if it fails...which means 150%kbb value

3. Mar 17, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    well i take care of my truck, and I dont see any rot. I get under there every year degrease,powerwash and paint my frame. I just dont know what I'd do if they buy it back..ride the bike in the snow?

4. Mar 17, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    that would suck too

but like previously mentioned...a lot of times you cant see the damage because its rotting from the inside...

5. Mar 17, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    thats true, but you would figure it would be showing by now?

Its only good for 15 years, and its 13 this year.

6. Mar 17, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    might want to start thinking about having it checked...if its not bad they may be able to repair yours

7. Mar 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    TacoMike

TacoMike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '19 SR AC Utility 4x4
    From what I've read on other forums they're not buying back like the previous years. They'll replace the frame if it needs to be replaced, if it passes they'll treat it with a anti corrosive. I can't imagine them having lots of frames on hand to replace bad ones. I understand if you get a letter you have to have it inspected by a certain date, sometime in 2010, and they'll extend the warranty 15 years. I belive there's a good thread over at customtacos on this.

8. Mar 18, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    You're not following along.

The thread starter has an 01', where as you and i fall within the 95' to 2000 guys who got the 150%.

9. Mar 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    WNYTACOMA

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Inside frame near rear shock area was where mine was 'affected', and where oi have read and seen photos of a good number of others. Some were quite a bit more devastated than just a localized area.

10. Mar 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    WNYTACOMA

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    Good luck with that.

I did the same thing with my 2000 extra cab. I would be the dumb ass out washing it in 20 degree weather and power washing the frame at the do it yourself carwash with the flexible wands.

I had it rustproofed and would clean the thing religiously, regardless of the weather. It looked like a southern truck from the exterior, and most people who weren't familiar with the evolution of the Toyota styles thought it was 3-4 years old.

Th frame rusted from the inside out. I was shocked when the guy came back to get me to follow him back into the garage.

I drove it out of there but was told 'it failed' and i would be contacted soon.

11. Mar 18, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    I bought my '03 in Arizona, but I have absolutely no information on her history before I bought her. Can I go into a Toyota dealership and have them run the check for free? I really don't think Toyota knows that I own a Tacoma at all, let alone one that might be afflicted with this horrible cancer.

12. Mar 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    yes just have your vin number handy and they should be able to do it

13. Mar 18, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    I live in Ohio and we use a lot of salt here. The frame on my 96 didnt appear to be rusting at all when I first looked under it. One day after I got the letter I was changing the oil and decided to check the frame myslef while waiting for the oil to drain. I went down the entire frame staring at the left front and did the hammer test, when I finally got to the right front just about where the frame strightens out behind the front suspension and the frame EXPLODED you could almost fit a pop can in the hole in the frame. I guess the point to my long winded rant is get it checked because like my old truck it could very possibly be there and its not worth getting hurt or killed over. I made out pretty well on my truck so good luck.

14. Mar 26, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    Jentry

Jentry Active Member

Member:
    Brigham City, UT
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma SR5
    K&N Air Filter, Airaid Throttle Body Spacer.
    I have a 1996 Tacoma with 207000 on it and I have never got it checked. Should I get it checked I am in Utah and we use a lot of salt on our roads. And I bought in Utah?

15. Mar 26, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    DefyInertia

DefyInertia Saratogian

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCLB 4x4 SR5#8 (white)
    Toytec Ultimate: ~3" up front via coil overs, LR UCAs, and SB delete; 2+ out back with AAL and new shocks. Leer cap, padded sleeping platform in bed
    STATE DOES NOT MATTER

THEY ARE buying back 2001 - 2004 trucks in some cases. They had to look at mine 3 times before reluctantly deciding to replace the frame (California) instead of buying it back. Took them 66 hours of labor!

The reason replacing the frame for the 2001+ is an option but was not an option for the pre 2001 trucks is simply because they no longer manufacture the pre 2001 frames.

Yes, please do! You probably have a check coming.

16. Mar 26, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    what do i do if my local toyota dealer refuses to properly inspect the frame and or under coat it, they claimed if it was rusty the jacks wouldnt support it and it would be very visible and that they simply dont under coat them?

17. Mar 27, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    DefyInertia

DefyInertia Saratogian

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCLB 4x4 SR5#8 (white)
    Toytec Ultimate: ~3" up front via coil overs, LR UCAs, and SB delete; 2+ out back with AAL and new shocks. Leer cap, padded sleeping platform in bed
    Find a new dealer and/or call toyota directly.

You would benefit from reading the frame rust thread pinned/stuck at the top of this subforum.

18. Mar 27, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    You live in NJ and drive a 96 and still haven't taken it in to be checked???? You are a fool! My 99 had big holes in the frame and a cracked weld at the spring perch! The frames do rot from the inside out, you cannot see the damage.

Take it in to be checked and if it fails you get free money (1.5 x kbb)! If it passes you drive it and feel safe it won't cause an accident.

19. Mar 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    ronkimes

ronkimes New Member

Member:
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    This is in regards to the 01-04 rust letters....

I've been reading about some people saying they've got letters about the rust on their 01-04 tacomas. I have an '02 Tacoma that I took in today and they said the frame is 'soft'. I'm returning next week to meet with the regional manager about this. If you have an 01-04... TAKE IT IN! Even if you didn't receive the letter take it in.

I have obtained a copy of the sample letter for the 01-04 Tacomas. It's attached to this post. Check it out.

Attached Files:

20. Mar 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM
    dlb

dlb New Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    01 4dr SR5
    I rec'd the letter last week. Had the truck checked - yup I have a problem with rust but they REFUSED to buy it back. They want to replace the frame and then they gave me the hard sell to replace parts while the truck is in pieces. Sounds like a financial get well program to offset the cost of repairs. I called corp in CA and was told that they are not buying them back - but in the letter it says that they will.
    What's the risk of a total frame replacement? If it drives like crap after they'll tell me that I didn'e want to replace the steering or suspension - any previous survivors have any help they can offer?

Products Discussed in

To Top