1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I hate Best Buy!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by DDD, May 25, 2010.

1. May 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Beachcamera.com is a great place to buy cameras, Tv's and other things, fast shipping, new merchandise great customer service. Amazon is great too.

2. Jun 1, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    RYNO

RYNO Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston,TX
    Best Buy blows. I am a IT Manager and I usually order all of my computer/electronic stuff from newegg.com

3. Jun 1, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    get a manager and haggle with them, they come off their prices

4. Jun 3, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    DDD

DDD [OP] Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I am not gonna deal with that, when newegg.com is cheaper to start with and many items have free shipping.

5. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    fine, but i got a $2,400 (their original sticker price) samsung 55" led, with cleaning kit, hdmi cables, and surge protector for $1685 out the door. sometimes it is worth talking people down. i would say 75% of the time it works. there is no telling how much money i have saved in my lifetime buy
    doing it. it never hurts to ask. they mark their stuff up so much it is crazy.

6. Jun 8, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Best buy's got its use, it can sometimes be a good deal. You just have to be informed and know what you are looking for before you go there. I had my eyes opened when I interviewed for a job there a while back. They train their employees to try to majorly upsell the customer, add on as much as possible in accessories and gadgets and unneeded junk when they buy something like a tv or computer. If you know what you want and what it's worth, go in armed with knowledge, you might just make a decent deal.

7. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    subtleshift

subtleshift Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallas
    Irvine, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD
    K&N high flow filter, 2x Yakima bike mounts
  8. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    pricescan can sometimes help, and google shopping is an option. If you use chrome or firefox, there's addons that can auto-search for lower prices.

9. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I use to work for BB back in college. I sold TV's and Home Theatre stuff. It sucked $7/hr selling $3k TV's sure you had to know a lot about the stuff to make a big salebut what difference did it make. The managers would always push you to get them to add the extended warrenty. (thats where they make their money) My employee discount was cost plus 5%. Had they pay me more I could have got all kinds of cool crap, but it just went to the beer fund. It would be like 1 pm on a Tuesday adn the managers were always mad cuz sales werent what corporate wanted them to be by that time. And i just kept thinking to myself theres noone here shopping of course there not. People usually work this time of day. I could go on and on about that place. Circuit City was better when they paid commission and you could try to get "deals" if you bought a bunch of crap.

10. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I heard one time that BB would not allow people to come in and write the price of stuff down on a piece of paper. Of course this was back in the day when cell phones and smart phones etc.. were for the lucky few and people actually used a pencil and paper.

11. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    For those of you that don't know....

I work at best buy.

And quite frankly most people are dumb enough to believe our sales.

Class is now in session.

On best buy's side though...it's called business.... There's thousands of employees working at best buy that have to be paid. A lot more work goes into buy from the store because there's employees that need to be paid as opposed to Amazon when you order from a website they don't have thousands of people working......the computer does it all for you....pretty much. Oh and FWIW everything is usually a couple bills cheaper on best buy online because of the lack of work that goes into it.

AND we gaurantee the lowest price so we DO price match. AND we have other promotions that you can only do at best buy.

For example. Best buy credit card. 0% interest on anything over $500 for 18 months.

You also have the choice of getting our exclusive geek squad black tie protection plans. Which the accidental plans do literally cover ANY damage at all EXCEPT completely submerged under water and lost or stolen other than that, if it can't be fixed we WiLL replace it with no questions asked at all. You can't get that through amazon, egay, or even places like fry's for that matter.

AND you can sign up for our reward zone plan. It is completely free to sign up and every $250 you spend you get $5 coupon for best buy via email. Our competitors don't do that either.

End class.

12. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    You couldn't be any more wrong.

That is a very ignorant statement

13. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    Best buy sucks balls!

14. Jun 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    True statement. It goes online, big store, mom/pop store in terms of pricing. A guy I knew started a skateboard company where a warehouse would make his boards, a detailer would paint the boards, a company made and hosted his website, and kids would create the artwork. He handled sales and a little customer care, but the business ran itself. A business like that is obviously cheaper than if you have to bring that in house or set up an actual shop.

However, you manage to utilize specific brands so you don't have to price match.
    BB wanted $30 for a RocketFish HDMI to DVI converter. I bought a generic one that had better casing from my local computer store for $6. BB couldn't price match because products weren't identical.
    If you think that's rough, Panasonic actually creates separate TV models, one they sell online and one they sell in stores. This way the stores don't have to price match.

I could use my American Express, which I pay off each month in full, and get cash back. Everyone's got their angle.

That's a fairly recent thing, and BB wasn't honoring it until recently even if you did buy it. Depending on what you get, it can sometimes not be worth it.

My local audio shop has this policy, and what's more, they refund the policy on expiration for in-store cash.

I was a nerd with a lot of time on my hands in my younger days. I would go into BB, Circuit City, Frys, etc. and correct them on technology while they were giving sales pitches. Sure it's an ass thing to do, but so is screwing over old ladies with gaming computers or trying to offload eMachines to the unsuspecting.
    It's no secret that BB and others don't hire very educated people for their sales floor due to the target wage, turnover, and ROI. You might get a few kids that know what's going on, but it makes no sense to hire them over some girl with a cute butt, nice smile, and no brains... or a guy who can make a sales pitch and use buzz words without knowing what he's talking about. It's all about looking at your bottom line and who can move product.

15. Jun 12, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I read once where best buy would advertise something on the internet web site. Person would go to store and when they see the item at a higher price they would bring it to the salesman attention. Well I guess at this one store or maybe all they bring up the supposedly same web site with a higher price just like the salesman said. Unknown to the customer is that there are actually two websites one with cheap prices to lure in customers and the other with higher prices. When customer said I saw it on the internet for less the salesman brings up the fake web site and says no you must have looked at it wrong.

16. Jun 12, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    Best Buy in Georgia don't carry Apple computers. When my wife and I went computer shopping in 2007 we had to go to an Apple store to get our iMac and MacBook Pro.
    The Best Buys here only carry iPods and iPhones.

17. Jun 12, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    A few yrs ago the state of Ohio sued Best Buy for nor honoring their warranties and so many service complaints.

18. Jun 12, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    I bought a pair of Klipsh S2 headphones for 39.99 plus tax in California "on sale" (49.99-10.00). I guess it was one of those lucky things of being in the right place at the right time. Amazon was still selling it for $49.99. Not sure about newegg. ETA: $49.99 on newegg too.

Either way, I needed a set of earphones for my flight home so it worked out well. I usually avoid BB like the plague but this time was an exception.

19. Jul 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Sale and As Advertised are two totally different things...

20. Jul 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    BINGO!

as advertised ONLY means that we had it in our newsletter thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top