1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I hate scum who don't return a lost wallet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Graham, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Feb 13, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    Graham

Graham [OP] Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    24 hrs past...no word on wallet...credit cards cancelled...life goes on. Maybe the dude was desperate and needed the money more than I. I hope he spent it on something of value at least and not drugs.

2. Feb 13, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    kbp68

kbp68 hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    I once found a wallet (with no cash) in a gas station washroom and returned it to the attendant. As I got into my car two guys came running up and demanded that I return their money! I told them there wasn't any and they got violent. I managed to fight them off and get in my car and drive to a police station. I later find out from the cops that this was some sort of shakedown scam that they had pulled dozens of times. 9 of 10 people would give them whatever cash they had to get rid of them and not go to the cops because they figured no one would believe that the wallet was empty!:eek:

3. Feb 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Coloradomx24

Coloradomx24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 Dbl Cab L/B Sport
    Sort of a similar thing happened in Colorado not long ago. A guy "pretended" he was broke down on the side of the road. A good samaritan stopped to help him...He robbed the good samaritan, then took the guys keys and chucked them out in the field and took off!

4. Feb 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    When I lived in Ohio I found a womans wallet at a K-mart parking lot. Went home and found out where the lady lived, credit cards, gift cards, some cash, drivers license and other papers I didn't go through, to make a long story short, I barely got a "thank you" from her. I don't know if I wanted a pat on the back or a thanks here is 20 bucks but I got nothing.

5. Feb 13, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I agree-I think what is at play here is that you don't return it to "get a thank you" you do it for the right reasons-having said that, when you don't get, or barely get a thank you as you say, it's f'd up IMO because in light of how bad people can be, someone who does right by someone deserves appreciation. WTF does it cost to give genuine thanks for not stealing someone's stuff just because of a momentary lack of care but rather restoring faith in the integrity of folks by giving it back??
    Yeah you don't do it for the thanks-but it doesn't mean thanks aren't in order:mad:

6. Feb 13, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I have found wallets and went to the trouble of tracking down the owners just for the satisfaction of doing the right thing.
    Others have done the same thing for me. In Key West I stupidly went swimming in cut off shorts with my wallet in the back pocket and it was gone. Some Navy guy found it in the water months later and using my ID was able to track me down. I didn't get to meet him or say thank you. Thank you sailor! Years before that I was stationed in Honolulu and took off with my AWOL bag on top of the car. Some nice lady found it in the street, using nothing but my Coast Guard flat hat and my last name stenciled inside the bag turned it in to the 14th district office and they were able to track me down. I didn't get to meet her or say thank you. Thank you mam. All those people had better things to do with their time than returning some dumb ass Coastie his stuff, but they did.
    What's the point? I don't know, but when you lose yer wallet yer not a real person for a few days 'till you get that first ID replaced. So who ever took the OP's wallet and deliberately kept it, I hope he/she has a long, slow, painful, early death!
    Yeah I know, lighten up Francis.

7. Feb 13, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Any volunteer work is for free. That is the point of it. I go volunteer at the food bank every summer. One time I was keyed while parked out side. Oh well still showed back up the next day ready to go. Also if you find a wallet all you have to do is mail it back to the name on the licence if you are so worried about getting in trouble for it.

8. Feb 13, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    Ipunchwalls

Ipunchwalls Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Colorado
    OP I feel for ya,

I lost my wallet back in december. Spent hours looking for it in my car, my buddy's car, my house, my friends house, called the bar I was at the night before...no wallet. Checked my bank account, some cocksucker found it and went to best buy, walmart, and gas stations around town with my cards, $1700 was spent, I had to get a new license and lost my college ID (I graduated, but it was still nice to have it for student discounts...) I hope that piece of shit had a fucking great christmas. Shit like this makes me want to believe in hell

9. Feb 13, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    $1700 whoa! Did you have to pay for it?

10. Feb 13, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    needed $250 but $240 will do :p

11. Feb 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Graham

Graham [OP] Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    I got a call today from a dude in Ithaca who found my wallet on the ground at Pick a Part. I just got back from Ithaca picking up my wallet from the guy. I thanked him profusely and gave him the only cash I had on me which as a $20 I borrowed from my fiance. My $240 bucks was gone from my wallet but I don't care. I got my license back, insurance card, etc. I canceled my credit cards yesterday so they are worthless but they were in the wallet.

This dude restored my faith in human nature and his karma bank account was increased today.

12. Feb 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    SRQ TACO

SRQ TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5lug Lowered & 2008 Tacoma 4x4 Lifted
    When I was a kid and found wallets I would usually just take the cash and drop the wallet in a Post Office box. I figured that if I drop it in a post office box that they would get it back to the owner. Now I usually dont touch the money and get the persons phone # and return it. Last two times I returned it they gave me the cash outta it anyways. But chucking the lost wallet is just wrong.

13. Feb 13, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    yarik83

yarik83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yuri
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Lift kit, weight distribution hitch. Camper shell. Kayak Rack.
    And that is exactly the point that I was trying to make. To follow up on your comments and to answer some of the "volunteering" remarks posted by others... the point that I tried to make was that is hard to be a good Samaritan because while charity is given.. the receiving party is often not grateful for a good deed. A couple of people brought up things like "why do you need praise for your charity" and I have an answer to that. In the old days everyone knew "The good guy" and people spoke well of that person and entire town would come to help if that person ever needed assistance whether it was to chop down a tree or move a heavy couch upstairs. Being good is no longer something that people desire in their life. When people get robbed, onlookers dont even call the cops; when person is stuck on a side of a road with a broken car we are afraid to pull over and render assistance for fear of being jumped. In the end our society (all over the world actually) has figured out that in order to maintain a status quo you must put your blinders on and not peddle in affairs of other people even if and when it is the right thing to do.

14. Feb 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    This is why I never stop for anyone. In the cell phone age, there is no excuse.

15. Feb 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    This post doesnt make sense what so ever...Stupidity is all I read from you...what kind of meeting are you talking about...are you scared of getting shot returning someones wallet...your weird dude...Hope you never find my wallet....Sorry OP I feel for ya I lost my wallet once...I felt naked for days

16. Feb 13, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    Freshman year I was loading my truck up to go home for christmas at like 11 30 at night and I was pretty much the only one on campus. well i took my boots out and just slid my wallet down in it and went back up to my room to get my bike, which was my last thing. Came back to the truck loaded everything and went to the gas station. When i reached for my wallet it it was gone. Went back and searched everywhere then looked in the dumpster and there was my wallet, completely empty of my cash, military ID, my debit card and SS card. Got everything cancelled and never had any issues. The campus police gave me enough cash to get home then i paid em back after break. Lesson of the story, make sure you are friends with campus police lol. oh, and dont leave the wallet unattended

17. Feb 13, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    Lost my wallet at a gas station once. Guy called me up and said he found it. Everything was left in it even the money. I gave him all the money I had in the wallet, like $80 and told him thanks alot. I figure whatever is in the wallet at the time of loss is my loss for stupidity. The most important thing is the info and credit cards cause dealing with that is a pain in the arse.

18. Feb 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    Ipunchwalls

Ipunchwalls Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Colorado
    No, thankfully. BoA and Amex took care of it, though it was a hassle.

I dont understand how someone can spend over $1700 and not have to show an ID. Hell my damn picture was on one of the cards.

19. Feb 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    I recall several years ago I was surfing in Hawaii with my dad; I was looking down at the coral and I saw what I thought was a wallet. I went down about seven feet and grabbed the wallet, it had some guy's information and everything in it.(even his passport) Apparently the guy was going to be stuck in Hawaii without his passport, he had been missing it for several days. I returned it to the police station and he picked it up. The officers told me his story when I went to check if he got it. It was just funny seeing a wallet in the middle of the break zone, only got a thank you from the guy at the police station since I did not get to see the owner of the wallet.

20. Feb 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    DTFtacoma

DTFtacoma Dezert Toy Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner D-cab
    DTF LT front & rear
    I've found 1 wallet and 2 cell phones out side of restaurants I always turn them in to the front desk. The one time I dropped my debit card some asshole deiced to buy all his buddies jack in the box about 60 bucks worth. I guess some of us where raised with better morals.

Products Discussed in

To Top