1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GT's Ultimate PepBoys chrome isle collection with considerable BS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by G.T., Sep 29, 2015.

1. Sep 30, 2016 at 8:08 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Rig looks great, looks like a fun trail!

G.T.[OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 30, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    G.T.

G.T. [OP] Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Thanks, I know you love exploring the west but if you ever come east please let me know as this is a beautiful playground in the midst of the oldest mountains in the world. That whole portion of the United States is awe inspiring in it's own special way.

Acerwin and Crom[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Sep 30, 2016 at 8:53 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    If I come your way, I'll for sure get in contact. And likewise, If you're out this way, I'd gladly make the time for you. :).

Btw, I really like the pic of the cargo ship with overseas containers. Very exciting. I've read a lot of build threads and none I recall have a picture such as yours! Very unique! ;)

4. Sep 30, 2016 at 7:30 PM
    ETXTacoma

ETXTacoma Someone gave me a plasma cutter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Tyler, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Tacoma TRD OR
    Dynatrac ProRock 60 Rear Axle, that is important enough.
    I can go get it for you if you need..... just saying.

5. Oct 1, 2016 at 8:45 AM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    Wife actually suggested talking @ChandlerDOOM into grabbing it but for now I'll settle with a carrier as I think it would cost less than sending a Tacoma on 35's to the coast and back just in fuel alone.

ChandlerDOOM likes this.
  6. Oct 1, 2016 at 5:56 PM
    ChandlerDOOM

ChandlerDOOM International tent trafficker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chandler
    STL
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    37s yo
    So much truth

Acerwin likes this.
  7. Oct 1, 2016 at 6:19 PM
    Pirhett

Pirhett Instagram @pirhett_ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Stock...
    How much do these things cost to install?

8. Oct 1, 2016 at 6:31 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    Honestly can't remember but I do recall that it was very affordable to have my welder do it.

Pirhett[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 1, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    Pirhett

Pirhett Instagram @pirhett_ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Stock...
    Worth every penny huh?

10. Oct 1, 2016 at 7:34 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    I feel that it is. I already carry allot of weight daily with the FlipPac and will be adding a plate bumper soon. You don't have to, but I chopped out my factory spare tire carrier to make room for a custom cross brace that will allow me to mount a potable water tank in there as well. If I were to do it again I'd have cut a few holes in the bottom of them to allow for easier rust prevention as now I have to use a wand to get complete coverage when I spray behind them.

Pirhett[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 1, 2016 at 8:20 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    Think I'm going to buy one of these new DJI Mavic Pro drones and if I like it enough I may actually sell my DJI Inspire 1. I'm not doing any commercial work with the Inspire 1 anymore ever since the ridiculous FAA rulings and having a drone that is ruck packable appeals to me greatly.

12. Oct 2, 2016 at 9:41 AM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    I've sent a letter with the same questions to eight different people within the FAA and each one of them have replied with a different set of answers. None of them are prepared for this mess they've created and it's ridiculous. I know that some people are just ignoring it all and getting work anyway but i just don't feel comfortable jeapordizing our security clearances.

I've had a chance to fly the Mavic and it's nothing short of impressive for something that's 4x4x8" when stowed. And honestly, that is one of the big highlights for me right now ignoring the cool little controller, software features, and video range. Being able to keep a pair of drones and their kit behind the back seat, or even under the rear seat of the Tacoma appeals to me greatly. I love to fly recreationally but getting out the Inspire and getting setup sometimes takes away from that.

As to the gimbal handle, I already have an Osmo and have no plans to replace it unless I just have to get the new one.

Jim Bob likes this.
  13. Oct 2, 2016 at 11:15 AM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    I'd have better luck selling the Inspire with the X3 than I would with the X5. I just don't know if I can justify keeping the X5 just for the Osmo.

Jim Bob likes this.
  14. Oct 10, 2016 at 9:10 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    I placed a couple of pictures I like in the TW 2017 calendar thread, Get in there and post your Tacoma and vote for the ones you like.

15. Oct 14, 2016 at 12:31 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    Picked up some tell-tale fuses that have a LED that illuminates when blown. My old eyes aren't going through that crap again.

Acerwin, Chux, OdinBow and 3 others like this.
  16. Oct 14, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    SonnyBones

SonnyBones I VOID WARRANTIES

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffery
    Vehicle:
    2015 TACOMA ACCESS CAB
    What did you replace the spare tire cross member with? I'm assuming that would need to be replaced to prevent torsional twisting. Looking to get this done on my 2015 AC knowing I won't have to remove the bed.

17. Oct 14, 2016 at 5:56 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    Currently using the factory trailer hitch but have plans to add a brace assembly that will support the load of a potable water tank.

SonnyBones[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Oct 14, 2016 at 5:59 PM
    SonnyBones

SonnyBones I VOID WARRANTIES

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffery
    Vehicle:
    2015 TACOMA ACCESS CAB
    Thinking the same, for on board water! :)

G.T.[OP] likes this.
  19. Oct 20, 2016 at 3:11 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    I'm quite certain that the uni-balls on my lower control arms were submerged a few times at ATR and are now "singing their song." With that said I intend to perform a bit of self service and clean them when I do the Fluid-Film spray before winter sets in. While I'm at it I also intend to start spending time waterproofing the cab and then adding a bit more sound dampening material in places that I originally overlooked or didn't put enough material into in the first place. A major clean up of the aftermarket wiring as well as finishing the upgrades to the factory wiring will be occurring as well as I cringe whenever I open the hood.

I also need to take a knee and seriously consider my future plans for the rear of the truck. We love the FlipPac, but when the trailer arrives we may find that we no longer make enough use of it to justify keeping it on the truck. An option that I've always wanted but never had realistic access to has finally turned up here in the States and I'm seriously considering it. The problem is, I've already ordered a custom rear bumper from a vendor here - still in the build queue - and if I go this route I won't need it at all. I also have a fridge, combo slide with Partner Steel stove, a LPG furnace, portable toilet, and a battery box to hold a third "house" battery" that I'm going to have to figure out what to do with if I delete the FlipPac.

I'm still wanting to add the C.E.S. "Long Liner" fuel tank and will add that to my focus list for this winter. I started to go after it early this year but got so caught up in everything else that I regrettably let it slip away. Poor guy probably thinks I'm an ass by now. If I go with the alternative rear to the truck I may be able to add an even larger tank which as you can imagine is desirable.

@ARCHIVE garage sold me a shackle flip kit which I still have on the work bench and he just revealed his plans for a rear shock relocate kit that is interesting to me. I'm so used to seeing hoops that initially I was put off by his design but the more I look at it the more interesting it becomes. Major concern is that I intend to swap out my 2" Fox rears with remote reservoirs for 2.5" ADS rears with piggy-back reservoirs. I don't know if they will fit with my 4.5" backspace wheels and 35" tires without rubbing. Going to be making use of both the lift and the brains at Wolf-Fab.com to get this all figured out.

Still undecided about an on board air compressor. I love the 20lb C02 tank but I do allot of "what if" stuff in my head and having a dedicated arrangement as well just makes sense to me. The decision for me is to go electric or to follow another lead and repurpose an old air conditioner compressor and use it as a dedicated air compressor. Still weighing the pros and cons on that decision.

Wavering on the iPad mini dash kit that I have as the one I bought was made for the 2012-2015 dash and I have a 2011. I raced through Shane's thread before I committed to buy it and kinda regret that now as he did make two versions, and to do this right I should have the other version. I "might" be able to make it work but am a little bit disconcerted about it not working even if I make changes to the truck and then being caught out not being able to put what I currently have back in. If my future plans for a solution fall through I'm going to be selling this kit which will make me sad as it's really a beautiful thing and I'd really like for it to work but not at the risk of making it look like crap to do so as it would take away from all of Shane's really hard work and I'd begin to hate it every time I got in the truck.

And in closing, keep a good thought for me as my case finally goes in front of the transplant review board this Monday and if they give me the nod then I will officially be on the list to receive a transplanted kidney. Excited, anxious, nervous, and a little scared about it as you can imagine. I just really want more time with my wife and son and I know a new kidney will give that too me.

Crom, Acerwin and GHOST SHIP like this.
  20. Oct 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM
    Bsheriff11

Bsheriff11 Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Casual.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Virginia livin', South Carolina raised
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie
    You'll be in my thoughts for that case man!

G.T.[OP] likes this.
To Top