1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I know nothing about the military

Discussion in 'Military' started by Stillfly199, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 [OP] ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    So dont you have to be in the AF for a while in order to become a PJ? Or is it just sign up from the get go and train for the PJ's from day 1?

I feel the same way about the briefings we get during firefighting.

Not really a big mechanic type. I like wrenching on the truck from time to time, but not big on working on engines.

I will deffinatly look into Tac P. Sounds like its an ass kicker

2. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    OP, Marine Corps infantry would be the only way to go. I'd hate to hurt any special ops guys on here, but as far as getting in fights goes, no one does it better. I could talk to you for days about what it's like. Here's a video of my time in afghanistan. You can go to the actual site to make it full screen.

http://www.vimeo.com/3472261

3. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers

Sign up from day one and head out, along with combat controller, and tac p. I think Tac P would be a lot more action pack out of them!

Pretty Cool vid showing what they get to do!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFXYQG-lxak

4. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
  5. Mar 12, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Thanks everyone for posting the videos. You have all given me a lot to think about.

MGrande, my dad and my grandpa were in the Marine coprs and I know my dad would love me to go with them if I went in. That video is bad ass, love seeing the first hand experiences.

6. Mar 12, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    60driver

60driver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Sport 4x4 Tim Mica
    Illum 4x4 switch, 20" LED bar in lower grill, LED in scoop, aux fuse box, avid light bar and 'sliders'
    Do your research and go to the recruiter knowing what you want to do. Dont let them talk you into anything, if they say well try this job for a year or two and then your can switch over, they are most likely wrong. Not speaking from personal experience but i know plenty of people who's regrets started at the recruiter's office. Think about also where you will want to be stationed (the rule of thumb is that the navy and af have far better posts location wise and amenity wise). Dont get caught up in interservice rivalries, choose the one that fits your personality the most and one that you will be most proud to serve with. Dont be afraid to go for SF or the Rangers, you will be surprised with what you can accomplish with hard work. Just dont quit, its that simple. (sorry if it sounds corny, but thats my advice.)

7. Mar 12, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I really appreciate the information. I have actually known a couple people that have went in and were told exactly what you said, except they fell for it and ended up hating every second they were in the service. I think one buddy went in to be a pilot and ended up delivering mail or something. But anyways, I know I have a lot of research if I really go through with this. I think I would really like to do something like the PJ's. I know I have a lot of thinking to do :D

8. Mar 12, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    ^X2, A recruiter will say anything to get your signature. Since your in cali you'd be in camp pendleton or 29 palms. PM me if you have any questions about the Marine Corps.

9. Mar 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Thanks man, I will for sure when I start looking into this more. I really appreciate it.

10. Mar 13, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    daftcon

daftcon too many clowns, not enough circuses.

Member:
    First Name:
    François Dillinger
    places
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner
    just about black everything. i don't dig the chrome.
    differences between PJ, combat control, and TACP are many.

TACP guys are basically attached to the army once theyre training is all completed. they live on army bases and deploy strictly with the army.

PJ and combat control are quite possibly the longest schools/ training in the entire military. about 2.5 years from start to completion. they start off doing just about the same training and about a year into the schools, they really break away from eachother.

combat control focuses on setup of airfields in austere environments, air traffic control into those airfields, and alot of demolition.

PJ obviously more along the lines of rescuing downed aircrew and other personnel.

theyre all great jobs. youll never find one of these guys that doesnt thoroughly love what he does.

11. Mar 13, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    daftcon

daftcon too many clowns, not enough circuses.

Member:
    First Name:
    François Dillinger
    places
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner
    just about black everything. i don't dig the chrome.
    and as far as my "old ass" C-130's, its airplanes like this that paved the way for your glorious C-17 to showboat all over these vacation areas of the world. so your welcome!! =)

and if it sounds like i'm hating because im stuck flying to pope every month, well thats because i am!!

12. Mar 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    ooh muthafukin rah!

13. Mar 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    +1 more for Marines. I'm a reservist, but I still do my shit. :cool: Its actually drill weekend for me.

Great brotherhood to be a part of.

14. Mar 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:

ha ha! all with love brotha :D

C130 is a great aircraft and has held up very very nice! And the new J's are pretty sweet (mini c17 of course!) Time to x-train to a load!

15. Mar 14, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Yeah It's very sad, a lot of people are trying to get into an agency. I hope our economy picks up again and does it fast. :( My local PD has a block on all new entries and everyone that was in the academy.

16. Mar 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    If you want to continue firefighting, the military has 'em. The Air Force firefighters are not only trained on structural fires, but aircraft fires as well, with aircraft fires being the main focus. If you want police experience, all branches also have their own military police forces. The Air Force at one time had two branches of security police. One side was security, guarding the flightline, etc. The other was law enforcement, which acted like civilian police on base. The L.E. side, as well as the security side had shared duty with gate guard duty.

17. Mar 14, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    So I was actually thinking about something like M.P., what all do they do? Patrol on base and gate duty?

18. Mar 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    You could go in the National Guard and become a M.P.

19. Mar 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Another thing is whenever you go talk to a recruiter, he will give you a booklet with a list of jobs you are interested in and he will help you with what you would need to do. If you want to become a Ranger in the Army you would need to make a 50 or better on the ASVAB, but if you dont make that high enough score the first time you could always retake the ASVAB when you are in the Army. Todays economy its a really good idea to become a soldier, i wish you luck with whatever plans you have.

20. Mar 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    if you have any questions about the pararescue career field shoot me a PM. i graduated indoc and was in the pipeline for about 14 months until a shoulder injury caused me to no longer be able to continue training.

Products Discussed in

To Top