1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I know this isn't the first frame thread

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mwrohde, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Aug 19, 2017 at 3:20 PM
    mwrohde

mwrohde [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed 3.4 TRD SR5
    but it's *my* first frame thread.

As a fella is wont to do, I was under my truck today. And I noticed the rusty frame, which isn't new. I also noticed these holes, which are new.

The truck is a 2003. I bought it in July of 2014 in North Carolina. At that time I called Toyota USA and discussed the frame with them. They said that this truck is eligible for frame fixing for 15 years from first use. It is not subject to the exclusion due to not being sprayed because it is not in the 20 states with rust problems. I have a confirmation number and case number from that phone call.

I took it to have the frame inspected at that time and was told it was fine - the "rule" for bad frame is a hole the size of a dime. Today I took these pictures. My question to you, learned ladies and gentlemen, is this: do these hole qualify for a new frame?

2017-08-19 17.49.47.jpg
    2017-08-19 17.50.02.jpg
    2017-08-19 17.50.17.jpg
    2017-08-19 17.50.21.jpg

2. Aug 19, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    Sodom

Sodom Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2001 Xtra Cab SR5 4x4 3.4L 5-Speed Gold
    Fox 2.0 IFP Coilovers, Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks
    Yes, that definitely qualifies.

3. Aug 19, 2017 at 5:41 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now
    No dealer up here would have said that frame is fine.

Sounds like you are in good shape with Toyota. Now just find a dealer that knows what they're doing when it comes to frame replacements.

EDIT: Partly because they have replaced so many of these, and have the process down, that they make money on the warranty coverage by Toyota.

4. Aug 20, 2017 at 6:43 AM
    mwrohde

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    Just to be clear, they said it was fine 3 years ago. I haven't had it back to a dealer looking like these pictures. Hopefully I'll have them look at it next week.

Toyko Joe likes this.
  5. Aug 23, 2017 at 12:41 PM
    mwrohde

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    I just got off the phone with the dealership. It sounds to me like they intend to put a frame under it, but it was a very vague conversation. I can "drive it for a couple of days". The warranty administrator is either at lunch or gone for the day and that person needs to provide some input. They have contacted Toyota corporate for some clarifications. He made some grunt about maybe a loaner. Finally, he said they should know more by the end of the week or early next week.

I'll keep you posted.

Toyko Joe likes this.
  6. Aug 23, 2017 at 1:12 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    I find it scary that a rust hole the size of a dime is considered "fine".

markelhof likes this.
  7. Aug 23, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    You might want to ask this dealer just how many Frames they have done ??

I know that most dealers up North are now quite skilled and can do a good job in a short time.

This is where the different amount of other goodies also changed comes into play .

From experience they know when to cut and when things can be unbolted

8. Aug 23, 2017 at 1:29 PM
    islanti

islanti Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    I would be weary of any place that isnt thirsty to replace a frame that bad. It shows they likely dont have much experience with frame replacements.

Shops want to do frame replacements. If they have an efficient crew they make money from it. A good dealership will hope your frame is eligble for replacement more than you are

9. Aug 23, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    mwrohde

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    I can shop dealers, of course. But the truth is it is very unlikely that any dealer down here has done many. The last dealer I spoke with was unaware of the extended warranty. This one, at least, knew what I was talking about. What is your suggestion with regards to a dealer who hasn't done a lot of frames?

They let me leave with the truck. The parting comment was that Toyota had been contacted to make sure that all other requirements had been met. I took that to mean that other required inspections, etc, had been done. He also said that they might have a district rep come look at it and "finish the inspection". All in all, it feels like they are moving in the right direction, but not very decisively.

Toyko Joe likes this.
  10. Aug 23, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    Seagull233

Seagull233 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4 V6
    BMW seats, OME Suspension, CBI and NWTI plates front and rear, 13,000 winch, LED light bars, Ham Radio, topper with roof rack added, stainless exhaust, 2nd battery, inverter, sound deadener
    Good job on doing your homework when purchasing!!

Clearwater Bill likes this.
  11. Aug 28, 2017 at 11:27 AM
    mwrohde

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    I just got off the phone with the dealership and it was a very strange conversation. They have agreed to put a new frame on it, but they want to see the truck again "to complete the inspection". The service writer, who may not know everything about this, says that they are replacing the frame under an extended warranty that has not been announced yet. When I pointed out that for several years, at least, there's been an extended warranty covering these trucks (with certain limitations) for 15 years from first use. He said, "yes, this is different. At least that's what I'm being told". *shrug*

Anyway, the truck goes back on Wednesday. They are going to take pictures and document parts that they think need to be replaced. That information is going to be sent to Toyota who will decide which parts they will cover and which they won't. When that dance is over they'll schedule the service and get me a loaner vehicle.

Toyko Joe likes this.
  12. Aug 28, 2017 at 11:32 AM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
    That is a very drastic change in frame rot after a dealer qualified "OK" a few years ago. I hope you have that documentation for their sign-off of the frame a few years back. IIRC doesn't this require an annual frame inspection to be qualified?

13. Aug 28, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    mwrohde

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    If it does this is first I've heard of it. Which isn't to say, "No, it doesn't", it just means I haven't heard it before. I miss lots of stuff, though.

14. Aug 28, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
  15. Aug 28, 2017 at 12:19 PM
    mwrohde

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    20RustyTaco06 likes this.
  16. Aug 28, 2017 at 4:34 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    I'm hoping their indecisiveness is from their unfamiliarity with the program. Any further inspection seems unnecessary due to the severity of the rust through, but it may be their procedure. Up here this is so common that there seems to be no need for any corporate followup. The frame on my old '01 was replaced back in 2012, and I never saw the rust. My '03 is borderline.

It's interesting he mentioned a unannounced "new warranty". There was a post here a while back mentioning a "new warranty". There has not been any followup on that thread though. Most of us assumed it referred to the settlement on the 2nd gen frames from last October. It would seem that Toyota would, or should, notify any potential owners covered on any new warranty sooner rather than later in light of the frame failure rate. Those without coverage may have parted company with their trucks rather than repair them.

Whatever the outcome, be sure to keep us up to date, and add as many details as possible. If there is a new warranty, try to get a copy for your friends on TW.

Currygoat and Toyko Joe like this.
  17. Aug 30, 2017 at 3:50 PM
    mwrohde

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    Ok, latest update. The dealership had my truck all day today. They tell me that this is indeed a new warranty. According to the service manager, they are doing my truck under the third iteration of warranty for rusty frames (presumably for first gen trucks). He did admit that they've only done a couple of frame swaps, so I'm personally skeptical about their level of knowledge.

Today, supposedly, was all about taking pictures of the rust and documenting all parts that they think they'll need to replace without regard to whether those parts are typically covered or not. The next step is to send all that information to Toyota USA and wait (a week?) for approval to do the frame swap.

18. Aug 30, 2017 at 3:58 PM
    03 NIGHT TACO

03 NIGHT TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    Are there any more details you know of about this new warranty? Try to get as much info as possible. Thanks for keeping us updated!

19. Aug 30, 2017 at 7:29 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    This is very interesting. I have a couple of thoughts though. Your truck qualified under the original extended warranty, with the exceptions you noted, according to Toyota. Wouldn't it have been covered anyway? I do remember that my '01 was similarly documented for Toyota to approve, although the dealer would not allow me to drive the vehicle off the lot. I was given a new Tacoma as a loaner until the replacement was completed. The whole process took less than two weeks.

Whatever the "new" warranty is, it sounds very much like the current warranty. This may be just "inside" lingo for phases of the same warranty. Why would Toyota not announce an enhancement to the current warranty? There are so many owners that may benefit from any expansion or extension of the existing warranty.

I want to believe there is something new here, but remain skeptical. This is no reflection on your experience, and your frame replacement. I think it's great that you are on your way to a replaced frame, and thank you for the information. Keep up the good work.

03 NIGHT TACO likes this.
  20. Aug 31, 2017 at 3:39 AM
    mwrohde

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    I've had all the exact same thoughts. I'm hoping that at some point I see some paperwork. I'll trust that more than the spoken word from the service advisor. Although, having the service manager weigh in and say the same thing lends some credence to it. The manager actually told me that my truck had been the topic of several conversations during the day. I just don't know. Hopefully, I will some day.

Products Discussed in

To Top