1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I might be picking up a 98 Tacoma tomorrow... couple quick Q

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kingtal0n, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Jan 10, 2017 at 6:57 PM
    kingtal0n

kingtal0n [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jay
    haha. Well what use is a vehicle with 500+rwhp if I cant hit 144mph in the 1/4 mile safely. There has to be a way to keep it straight and true at those speeds. I dont need to be able to corner it or even switch lanes at those speeds (since they are obviously track only speeds, drag racing) but I also intend to drive the truck as a daily driver, so it does need to be able to run at least to 120 on occasion, in a straight line, its pretty easy to get there with that much power, before you realize it.

How doesn't it feel stable? Well, the steering wheel feels "mushy" for starters. Like I am trying to hold it straight and its just mushing while I correct slightly right or left to keep it straight. Second, I feel "body roll" when correcting. I think that is the term, I am not good with suspension stuff. You know, like a sway bar issue, I guess. I think lowering it correctly will help with that. But I am not sure. I was hoping somebody with suspension knowledges would drop them on me. :D

2. Jan 10, 2017 at 7:08 PM
    kingtal0n

kingtal0n [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jay
    As a side note, I was thinking of buying a second truck to do the engine swap while I drive the first one daily. That said, would it be a good idea to pick up one of those "extended cab" versions, for more stability at higher speeds maybe? I am just thinking it might be a better swap candidate. Thoughts?

As to the high speeds issue, I think right now I will try the ball joint "flip" and rear block lowering method first and see how it rides. The tires are probably not the best for high speeds either (its on some tall tires with 14" steel wheels) so that will undoubtedly play a roll when it comes time for some real wheels and tires. Then for the steering, I believe there are bushings or components I can change (freshen up) that might help. I need to do some research on that soon.

edit:
    I recently read that:

"I myself hated it and the suspension felt softer than stock configuration and the bumpsteer sucked..
    I drove for quite a while on it like that.. I undid it and I'm currently running on 2" Belltech drop springs with summit drop shocks and its nice,
    but I'm going lower on adjustable dampening coilovers soon.."
    http://www.customtacos.com/forum/54-1995-5-2004/79156-b-j-flip-how-many-bolts-also-some-pics-3.html

So it looks like a ball joint flip might not be the immediate answer. perhaps coilover suspension is the only proper way to do what I wish to do.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  3. Jan 10, 2017 at 8:26 PM
    TooMuchToDo

TooMuchToDo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Gold Tacoma XtraCab with 192k
    ...we'll get there.
    More power to you man, I'm sure it can be done! ...To some extent. Eventually you'll fight against frame based geometry.

I like the go-fast pedal...Just not in my taco. I think you'll find a lot of knowledge on here is "truck" based. I got mine for camping, scrambling, and so I wouldn't have to worry about snow. But everyone has their angle. I'm sure you'll find others looking for speed...Or maybe you'll be a pioneer.

No matter what, be safe

4. Jan 10, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    kingtal0n

kingtal0n [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jay
    Well it pleases me to inform you that many people have done these sort of engine swaps. In fact that is the only reason I finally decided to attempt one: it seems almost cookie cutter simple. The toughest parts for me will not be fabrication and mounting... as companies offer solutions for these and even plug and play wiring (although expensive it can be bought) and I have a fair number of friends and local shops which do this sort of work every day to make it simpler. It will not be very expensive.

The tough part for me is my unfamiliarity with the truck's suspension and lack of experience with modifying suspension in general, and nobody near me has ever worked with a tacoma before. So I am at the mercy of the internet and try-fail techniques for the moment, I hope that by sticking around the forums and reading build threads I can build up some kind of knowledge before I have too many failures.. ah ha ha *nervous cough

TooMuchToDo[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 10, 2017 at 9:57 PM
    TacoMan89

TacoMan89 Bigger wheels

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    01' TRD PreRunner v6 SR5 XtraCab
    Nice find !!

6. Jan 13, 2017 at 3:12 AM
    kingtal0n

kingtal0n [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jay
    Man guys, I am devastated. I found out yesterday that my community doesn't allow trucks. I had no idea and now I am forced to remove the truck or sell it. I am still arguing the point that its really a 'race car' and not a truck, or to be used like a truck, but Its just my last ditch effort to sway them. Kind of funny they allow huge SUV type vehicles, explorers and navigators or whatever, just not pickup type trucks.

7. Jan 13, 2017 at 3:17 AM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    Dafuq???

8. Jan 13, 2017 at 7:19 AM
    TooMuchToDo

TooMuchToDo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Gold Tacoma XtraCab with 192k
    ...we'll get there.
    time to move, man.

9. Jan 13, 2017 at 7:32 AM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    They can outlaw pick up trucks in HOA's??? I've heard of them not letting you work on rigs, but directly outlaw a DOT approved road transportation vehicle??? That's just taking the HOA thing too far... Shoot, I hate spewing opinions, my bad. I'll just leave it at this, that seems nutz.

TooMuchToDo likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top