1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I might have a 4wd problem?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by N736RA, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    N736RA

N736RA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saco
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4 cyl.
    2009 Tacoma 4cyl. SR5 Manual

So this morning it snowed (finally) and I have a steep driveway, so I went outside turned the truck to give it a few minutes to warm up. Came back out, put it into 4H, put it into 1st, then started to let off the clutch/give gas, pretty much just at the point where the truck would normally start to pull forward there was a loud, and not the typical loud but a much louder one, "clunk" and the engine stalled (I am new at a manual, but I'm pretty sure it was an ok start...). It took a few tries to get it started again. Anyway, so then I drive it to work and I'm not quite sure I'm actually in 4wd, the steering doesn't feel any stiffer etc, but theres no warning lights and based on the dash its going in and out fine. I'm also not hearing the clunk of it engaging like I usually would (although from doing some reading on this forum perhaps thats the normal condition), but I can sort of hear the clunk when it disengages, but I can't tell if its actually disengaging or just moving around. Anyone have any thoughts? Am I just seeing/hearing ghosts after an awkward start, or might there actually be an issue?
    Thanks!

2. Jan 6, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The lights should tell a tail if it's blinking it's not locked in. They do clank and unless you are on hard dry pavement you'll never feel the difference in the steering.

3. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    N736RA

N736RA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saco
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4 cyl.
    Alright, so then it would seem it was just something unusual this morning then (as the light is steady), thank!

To Top