1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I might have found my Taco...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jedirye, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Jan 31, 2009 at 12:42 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Not to be rude, but you don't think that is asking a lot? You want a newish Taco for under 13k OTD and expect them to give you 7-8k for your truck.
    All I can say is good luck, but I think your expectations are unreasonable and you should think about doing a little more research on used car buying from dealers and the values of the truck you are looking for.

2. Jan 31, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    northlite

northlite Active Member

Member:
    Cape Cod/Northern Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    05 Acc. TRD OR Black Beauty
    I just bought my second new-to-me second gen Taco in two months. Pre-Runners and 4x4s seem to be the gold standard of used cars. I've done a lot of on-line and in the dealership talking. The most I have gotten anyone to move from an advertized price is $750 and most were less than $500 or less. Even in this tough economy, where they are giving $3-5k on new Fords, Chevys, and Hyundais, this is just the way it is with Tacos. With financing, taxes, registration, etc., a thousand here or there is not that big of a deal to get what you want.

And sell the older truck yourself. The dealer, any dealer, will give you $2k less than they will sell it for. I know from all too many experiences that selling it yourself can be aggrevating, but you will come out at least $1k ahead. I think its worth it.

Good luck.

3. Jan 31, 2009 at 6:08 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    x2... well said FSC.

4. Jan 31, 2009 at 6:52 AM
    RBaptist

RBaptist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport - Magnetic Grey
    Hi jedirye,
    Well I hope you can find one for 13K. If you can pull it off, that would be incredible. The good thing is that these trucks hold their value. That is why you are having trouble getting them to budge on price. So keep that in mind. You might have to put more in now....but you will get more back later when you try to sell. I've seen 150K 2002 Tacomas still selling in 8-9K range. I looked for 8 months before I bought mine.

There is some good advice on here though. As for going with a 2005, I don't think you will have any problems with those. There are some nice ones out there and you MIGHT be able to get someone down close to your price range for an 05'. A lot of the TSBs cover what was upgraded on the 2007+ so if you look for 05s and 06s, see if they had the TSBs done. They look the same and heck, you can 'bolt on' many of the updates that come with the 2007+ with a little mechanical ability.

I do hope you find what you are looking for though! It's a great truck!

5. Jan 31, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged

Not to be rude, but read my posts and read them thoroughly. So far I've had three dealerships offer me $7.5k-$8k for my truck; That is not an "expectation". And the $13k OTD would be in addition to my trade-in, which was explained. So $13k + $8k = $21k range, or less of course... WTH is the mystery here??

My problem is the place in AZ only offered $5k for some reason when all the other places offered the aforementioned quote.

-rye

6. Jan 31, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Hey Jedirye, sorry for your frustrations. I know it sucks trying to find exactly what you want! Just dont give in and keep looking, it took me about a year an a half to find my truck, and also to save.:) But Im glad I waiting! There were more then one's that I also got a different truck. I went ahead and searched in a few area's around you, and wow! there is nothing out there!

Good Luck at finding your truck!

7. Feb 1, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Thanks for the encouragement... I guess I'm just a bit frustrated. Every time it seems like I've found a Taco, it's sold. It gets old after a while and then I think, "Screw it, I'll just keep my Fronty." Now is the time to buy. I have the money, my job is in demand (even at 3AM........) and I'm just ready to buy!
    -rye

8. Feb 1, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    RBaptist

RBaptist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport - Magnetic Grey
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for: (Listed at $19,662)....in Mississippi.
    I am sure you could get them close to that out the door. The truck looks to be de-badged (..so raise heck and tell them you REALLY want the badges...so they need to knock some $$$ off...I would say at least $1k to covers most of the tax. Then go another $500 to cover TSBs that may not have been performed and the higher mileage. If it was me, I would offer them $18500 out the door. Let them stew on it for a day or two. If they don't call you back...call them again and make the offer again. If they tell you to come get it, have them send the offer in writing. Buy an airTran ticket and have a nice drive home across TX :)

Then go to toyotapartsales.com and buy all the badges/stickers for like $100 and put them back on if you want them.

http://www.vehix.com/inventory/VehicleDetails.aspx?zip=30265&radius=24874&condition=Used&smodel=Tacoma&make=Toyota&Limit=10&SearchPagePosition=1&inventoryid=770000012DEF83&N=127%2B4294966597%2B4294966500%2B4294966497%2B4294967100%2B4294967050

...And here's a double Cab for right at $21K in Richardson, Tx with less miles.

http://www.vehix.com/inventory/Vehi...7+4294966500+4294966497+4294967100+4294967050

Both of these are on Vehix.com
    http://www.vehix.com/inventory/Search.aspx?Limit=10&N=127%2B4294966597%2B4294966500%2B4294966497%2B4294967100%2B4294967050&Nf=pLocation|GCLT%2033.404899597168%2C-84.7067031860352%2040030.3033248678&Ns=pPriorityLevel|1||Has%20Price|1||pLocation(33.404899597168%2C-84.7067031860352)|0&PostalCode=30265&RadiusInMiles=24873.6309353221

9. Feb 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    ^^^
    I had my heart set on a TRD Sport. FYI, the other one I was looking at in AZ was n '07 TRD Sport with 11k miles for high $18k and change (just about $19,000). I just wish they would give me the $8k for my trade-in like the others have...

-rye

10. Feb 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    07tacoark

07tacoark Still kickin like a chicken!

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 & 19 TRD-OR 4x4
    Lots on 07 ... getting started on 19
    heres my input...

i was kinda like u when i wanted to trade in my 99tacoma for a "newer" one. i was set on an 05 with 30k miles that had to be white, access cab, 4x4, SR5... etc

well, since yur pretty much lookin for an 07 now, its gonna kinda be like a needle in a haystack. and i say this bc for one, im sure u are lookin for somethin in particular (color, size, cab... etc).

its gonna take some time and patience. these trucks are very hard to come by used only bc tacoma owners are die hard people. hell i didnt want to let go of my old one and if i could id sell my new truck and get another old tacoma, but shit happens and we move on

i know u dont want to hear this but u might have to upgrade to an 08 or 09. that is if u arent goin to be patient enough to wait til an opportunity for what u want arrises. i totalled a vehicle back in march 04 and it took me about 2months to find my old tacoma and that was searchin a 2-3 state radius away

good luck

11. Feb 1, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I was in your shoes not too long ago. In june of 2008 I was set on a new (for a short time because the 2009s were about to be released so i wanted to jump on a new 2008 while they were trying to move them) 2008 blue 4x4, 4cyl, manual. I came to a dealership in an adjacent state that actually had some on the lot. Almost all the dealerships nearby were telling me they could order one since they had stopped by in anticipation of the 2009 arriving. They ended up showing me all the ones on the lot and saying thay had an '07 in thier secondary storage lot. It was white, 11k miles and I wasnt overly impressed with it but we sat down to negotiate it. They ended up giving it to me for 15K after getting up to walk outwhen the sticker was almost 20k and trust me it didnt take long to fall in love with it. Once you get a truck, you immediately start thinking of doing stuff to it to make it your own.

Ok so i guess the point of my rambling is if you are set on a truck, you must be patient. if you open up your options just a little you get a lot of room to negotiate and its much easier to get up an walk out (the most powerful negotiating tool to your dispoal) when they dont give you exactly what you want.

12. Feb 3, 2009 at 2:49 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Unfortunately I have wasted my time by reading all of your posts thoroughly and even researched on my own to try to help you and provide the most accurate information, my mistake and I won't make it again, you are welcome and best of luck cause you need all of it you can get.
    If you won't take less than $7.5-8k then you are expecting at least that much, correct? Yeah $13K OTD (meaning the price for the truck plus all fees included) plus $8K for your trade (which no dealer has to take or even offer a reasonable price on and will give you the $8K then tack on or raise other fees to make up the difference) I don't see a mystery and I didn't inquire about your process of coming up with that, so I still think it is unreasonable. So unless you are thoroughly informed and educated on the buying process, dealing with a dealership and how to negotiate etc., which by thoroughly reading your posts I gather that you aren't, you are not going to walk away with the deal you are hoping for. Your problem is you don't own a Tacoma, so you don't thoroughly understand the value of these trucks compared to your Frontier and your expectations of finding an exact truck only 2 years old at the exact price you want is not reasonable. If you really want one then pay the price they are asking or buy an 09 ordered to your expectations and quit whining on a forum about how terrible all these places are for selling your truck when you won't pay for it anyway and asking everyone to find your truck and help you with the process.
    So good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your truck and hearing all about what a great deal you got.

13. Feb 3, 2009 at 3:00 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Del :cool:
    I should have quit looking when you did. :D

14. Feb 3, 2009 at 3:27 AM
    upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Member:
    Frederick, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 LB Barcelona Red
    You gotta love car (truck) shopping. You may first want to wipe that "I've gotta have that truck" look off of your face :>). I got 2k more for my trade than they originally offered by showing them a Carmax offer. Otherwise, if you just must have it - buy it and don't look back!

15. Feb 3, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    wcm608

wcm608 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Impulse Red
    Maybe you need to go back to the original truck you found by your house. No days off and zero travel expenses. Might just be the best deal your going to get with your
    current trade-in. That's if it's not already sold.

16. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:14 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    If you won't take less than $7.5-8k then you are expecting at least that much, correct?

Yes, that is correct. I was offered this by several dealerships (approximately three) and this value is consistent with KBB and Black Book Value. Once again, WTH is the mystery?? I'm not demanding some ridiculous value.

So unless you are thoroughly informed and educated on the buying process, dealing with a dealership and how to negotiate etc., which by thoroughly reading your posts I gather that you aren't, you are not going to walk away with the deal you are hoping for.

No, I'm not. I've only bought my Fronty and I had my parents with me because I was like 17 years old and they co-signed. So... Yeah?

If you really want one then pay the price they are asking or buy an 09 ordered to your expectations

Well, if you've read my posts (maybe three times, to catch everything, slick. At this point I wouldn't bother though) I do not want an '09 for the design changes... So... Yeah, thanks for suggesting that again. Reiterating what I type is awesome, but hey I'm at work so at least I get paid to surf the net... What else we got here...

quit whining on a forum about how terrible all these places are for selling your truck when you won't pay for it anyway

Lol, it's hard to pay for a truck when it's in a different state. I'm all about giving them a non-refundable down payment but it never gets to that point. The last truck they said it was available, gave me the numbers, I agreed, and then informed me it was sold which brings me to this...

so you don't thoroughly understand the value of these trucks compared to your Frontier and your expectations of finding an exact truck only 2 years old at the exact price you want is not reasonable.

Well, let's see, the one in TX, which after all the numbers would have been about 10.5k OTD... So it's unrealistic to find another deal like that? Obviously, they exist and it is not unreasonable. I'm not making these numbers up, the truck is out there, I just need to find it.

So thanks, FoxyDude, for misinterpreting everything and somehow making me seem ungrateful for all of the help that I have received. I get PM's every other day for other trucks that somehow I've missed on AutoTrader, etc. but other people just browsing the net seem to notice and remember me. I reply back and thank them all because that was the point of the help. Someone may drive by a dealership, see "my" truck, and then let me know about it and I can inquire further. Unfortunately I can't drive around a five state radius to see all the trucks, hence some people on this board have offered to be my eyes/ears for a little bit...

I don't understand how you people are misinterpreting this crap. I don't need a truck right now, so I don't mind my continuous search for the next few months to find just the right one. I appreciate other people's stores about how they had to wait as well for just the right one to come along. I realize it's going to involve patience, I'm all about that. I'm not about FoxyDude coming in here and stating all this crap about how I'm unrealistic. Well, I could understand if it was even half-way founded, but unfortunately it is not... So... Lol?

However, I do appreciate the PM's though, I honestly do. Some send me trucks that are like DC's, but it's still good to see the price of those and give myself a better idea, because I'm apparently not nearly educated enough on the value of these trucks... Lol x2.

On another note, wouldn't it be cool to see the AC with a short bed? (Aside from the Incross Concept)

-rye

17. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    That's good advice... the amount of $$ you're going to spend going across the country to get your truck is quite ridiculous.

Find one local-ish... :thumbsup:

18. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now

What frame issue? The motor mount? My 06 is fine...... :confused:

19. Feb 4, 2009 at 2:27 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    Seriously...how much more immature can you get? :rolleyes:

Good luck with the search for your truck :D.

20. Feb 4, 2009 at 4:22 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    x2...

Products Discussed in