1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I MUST be stupid.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Xewkija631, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Dec 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    Xewkija631

Xewkija631 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    LI,NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK DC TRD OFF ROAD
    I wanted to move the the tie down cleats so i loosened it up and moved it but it just came off and now I cant seem to get it tight in the deck rail... I looked the the owners manual and its not helping me... is there some sort of video or someone with advice..

:(

Thanks

2. Dec 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    righty tighty lefty loosey

3. Dec 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Hold the cleat in your one hand and push the loosened knob with the other and that part that goes into the rail sticks out then. Then turn it to get it into the rail and turn it so the metal part catches the rail. They are meant to come off.

4. Dec 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    Xewkija631

Member:
    LI,NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanks... but I still cant do it, I have been in the snow for 30 mins trying to do this but I cant do it... when putting the cleat it should the metal be facing up and down or should it be left and right?

(-) pretend that is the metal thing, should it be like that or should it be turned and have the "-" going up and down?

-_-

5. Dec 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    jafarr08

jafarr08 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    i have the same problem with mine

6. Dec 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    Dibblit

Dibblit Eh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Stony Plain
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Suspension ARB OBA
    Never had a problem with mine, they install as described above

7. Dec 26, 2010 at 11:25 AM
    Tbird

Tbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    I have a feeling you are not mechanically inclined. :D

1) unscrew the cleat a good bit(twist to the left). This allows you some distance/clearance to press the block into the track against the spring.

2) align the metal block into the track...WHILE pressing it. This allows it to seat into the track.

3) twist the entire cleat to lock the cleat into the track.

4) slide the cleat to the position you want it to be...and let it slip into one of the "parking" grooves in the rail.

5) screw the cleat tight.

8. Dec 26, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Ouch it must be the cold getting to you. The metal "T" part should look like this "-" to put it in the rail. Then you keep that knob pushed in and turn the whole cleat till the plastic part you tie to is horizontal along with the rail, and then let go of the knob. It should tighten up to the rail then, then if you want to move it hold the Part you tie to and push the knob in again and pull the tie down part and it will freely slide along the rail. Make sure you loosen the knob enough to get it in the rail. It won't unscrew out all the way so loosen it as much as you can. Maybe you don't have it loose enough to get it in the rail.

9. Dec 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    Xewkija631

Member:
    LI,NY
    Vehicle:
    I really appreciate the help... but I think i'll give up on this one. When I put the cleat in it does not grab into anything and when i turn the cleat so it locks it wont get tight after I tighten up the knob I see how my other cleats are in but I cant seem to get it.

10. Dec 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (.85), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Not sure if you're getting what's being explained to you or not. Not sure if the whole cleat has come apart and you're trying to put it back together (if you unscrew it too far, it comes apart)?

When it's together, the metal that goes in the rail will be perpendicular to the tie-down part of the cleat. As noted above, stick the metal in (you can only put it in one way), then hold the cleat and press the dial/knob in so the metal part of the cleat in the rail goes in further. Then twist 90 degrees until the tie-down part is horizontal. If you can't turn it 90 degrees, then you likely need to loosen the nut more and press it in further. FYI, there are preset points in the rail where they'll want to latch at and if you find one of these you don't have to fight with it as much to install it because there's more room.

Worst case, pop the little plastic cap out of the end of the rail and slide it in. This should give you an idea of how it works. Then tighten until it clicks. If it never clicks/tightens, I would suspect something may be wrong with it. Try loosening another one and then re-tighten it. You'll see how they click.

11. Dec 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    Xewkija631

Member:
    LI,NY
    Vehicle:
    I tried this and also tried with another one and having the same issue...

Yeah the whole thing is off; what would you want a picture of? the cleat?

12. Dec 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    Xewkija631

Member:
    LI,NY
    Vehicle:
    Here are pictures of the cleats if this helps... Someone said as you loosen it the metal should come out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Dec 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (.85), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    There's your problem. The left cleat in the pics is broken. I bet you're able to change the direction of the metal part that sits in the channel. The metal part that goes in the rail/channel is one piece with the screw that goes through the cleat. It has a single flat side and can only go through the cleat one way (like you see in the second pic). Basically, the channel in the cleat is the shape of a "D". So the only way to get the metal part parallel to the cleat is for the D hole going through the cleat to be stripped to a complete circle. Thus, you've got no way to tighten it.

Take the cleat on the right and unscrew it a ways (you'll have to push down on the dial to unscrew it far enough to see what I'm talking about). Once it's been unscrewed a ways, push it through and you'll see the plastic "D" hole that the screw is going through (you have to look underneath the dial). Once you see how it works on the right one, take a look at the left one and you'll probably see it's stripped.

14. Dec 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    Speed Nut

Speed Nut Active Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg. Cab 4X4
    This has to be a joke to see how many people will take the time to respond with a solution. :popcorn:

15. Dec 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    cc350

cc350 Buckeye Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Liberty,Twp Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD DC
    TRex3 eyelids,Undercover hardshell cover,Timbrens
    Left one is not correct, right one is.

cleat5.jpg