1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need a shotgun but what kind?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by FlawedXJ, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Dec 15, 2008 at 4:01 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    I'd hope when they hear chambering, they'd turn tail. I'm just afraid that that isnt much of a deterent around these parts.

2. Dec 15, 2008 at 6:08 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ [OP] mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    Thanks again for all your input guys. Keep it coming if you got more info. I'll be out looking today.

3. Dec 15, 2008 at 6:43 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    either one will be fine! I am a big fan of remington and have always used them for my deer rifles and shotguns, great quality.

4. Dec 15, 2008 at 6:44 AM
    Kropper

Kropper Tacos are more gooder!!

Member:
    Holland.........NJ
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 V6
    PIAA ultra white headlights,Bilstein 5100's,A/R Trench rims,BFG 265/75/16 All Terrains, Four Real Steel Rock Krusher Rails, Weather Tech floor liners, Sock Monkey custom SR5 decals!
    If its just for home defense, I would go completely easy and get a nice S&W .357 magnum revolver. That is probably the simplest home defense weapon there is. Nice and compact, and delivers a devastating punch. Personally, I have a glock model 27 that I keep in a gun safe that's permanantly affixed inside my nightstand. I keep it unloaded, w/ the mag in the top drawer and the safe in the bottom of the unit. Although it only takes a few seconds to be ready to go, it's enough time for me to clear my head of the sleepies, put on my bulletproof vest that I keep under the bed, and get mentally ready so I don't make any mistakes. (Please don't think that I live in a bad area, or that I'm a nut...lol. I'm just a cop that likes to have a plan.) With a shotgun, there are other concerns like: where to keep it (it is bigger), loaded vs unloaded (always unloaded imo) and a host of other factors. Yes, a longarm is much easier to obtain than a handgun, and in most cases cheaper. At work we use the 870, and I'm a big fan of it. Its easu to use, easy to clean, tough as nails, its a good workhorse of a gun.

5. Dec 15, 2008 at 6:50 AM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    Figure I might let you guys know, It's a bit over a year until I'm 21 so handguns are outta the question. My brother is head of the swat team where I live so I'll ask him and let you guys know what he suggests at the best for grab and go home defense.

6. Dec 15, 2008 at 11:25 AM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    I just went to a few gun shops too look at all the shotguns. I know some may say to avoid the Maverick 88, but after reading around its basically the same gun as the mossberg 500 and quite a bit less. The guys at the store say its a perfect HD shotgun for the price and fun at the range too. What have you guys heard about avoiding it?

7. Dec 15, 2008 at 12:09 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i have had my mossberg maverick 88 for years...................used it tons, never have had any trouble with it whatsoever.

8. Dec 15, 2008 at 12:31 PM
    praetor

praetor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Accesscab TRD Off Road
    I'll just throw in my 2 cents.

My home defense weapon is the Glock 30 subcompact .45 AUTO. the .45 keeps it from going through too many walls and into other people if I miss plus the subcompact design is eerily sexy in my wife's hands. She can handle it without looking like some two bit actress with an over sized hairdryer.

9. Dec 16, 2008 at 5:35 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Mossberg 590 cause its tacticool.

With pump shotguns there isnt a heck of alot that can go wrong. keep that in mind before you spend the big $$$.

10. Dec 16, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    word. I plan on keeping it around 300 or less.

11. Dec 16, 2008 at 6:01 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    mossberg 500 dbl pistol grips 18 in barrel and a fold over stock its great never had a problem in 8 yrs and i beat the crap out of it best 200 bucks i ever spent

12. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM
    ZonKs

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Just watch the big 5 adds. They have 500's in there that come with a 20 and a 18.5 inch barrel for dirt cheap most of the time. best deal around.

13. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:06 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    20 and 18.5? Are you sure its not 24 and 28?

14. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:36 PM
    ZonKs

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Yeah. they have some "home defense" model or something. It comes with a 20 and an 18.5".

15. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    crazieN8

crazieN8 ________________

Member:
    yorktown Va.
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 taco
    3" lift, custom bucket seats, removable doors, KnN, eclipse sound system
    i personally keep an unplugged 870 by my bed, but honestly out of the top shotguns id grab any one of em, i did grow up with a remington in my hand and it hasnt failed me thus far so i guess ill promote them first.

if your lucky you'll get this for christmas...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

16. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    I have had my Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag for many years. Realtree camo with 28" barrel and the trophy model slug barrel with the scope mount. Those 3.5" high-brass shells put a hurtin' on the old shoulder.

If I were an intruder, I wouldn't want to hear the sound of a shell being chambered by a pump shotgun.

It's a nice gun and I have never had an issue with it. I mostly deer hunt with it.

Marc M

17. Dec 16, 2008 at 10:11 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    m1sandp.jpgBenelli m1 super 90 or a m4 tactical. I chose the m1 with the pistol grip and ghost ring sights. stays loaded with a nice steel duck load and a few 00 buck. I can empty 6 rounds before the 1st hits the ground. Awesome gun!

18. Dec 16, 2008 at 11:07 PM
    DsleePy1

DsleePy1 Active Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Double Cab
  19. Dec 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM
    Clelsdah

Clelsdah Western Alliance: Yeehaw Division

Member:
    No California Foothills
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    Bed mat, tube steps, Ipod interface, Ride-rite air springs
    +1
    My 870 is locked under the bed and if time warrants its is my primary defense choice. When time is of the essence the XD 45 is in a safe in the nightstand easily accessed by my wife or I only. There is also a reliable flashlight and direct wired (not cordless) phone for calling 911. I agree with kropper, have a plan, practice, and know your weapons. Life is precious, death is final, know your target and whats behind it.

20. Dec 30, 2008 at 12:51 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Remington 870P.

Remmy because it is a PD standard. Many parts for it. It's proven and reliable.

There are many different Rem models. Make sure you get the P model. This is made on a separate assembly line and is more robust.

If you're shooting infrequently, a regular Rem 870 is fine. But the Police model is made to be loaded, unloaded, abused and used.

Here are the differences...........

The 870 Police is made in a different area in the manufacturing facility. I wondered why the 870's ranged fro $200 to $800+ and now I understand why.

Here's the actual differences between the Express and Police models:

First what REMINGTON says:
    REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY, LE DIVISION

Important differences between Remington 870 Police and 870 Express shotguns.
    The 870 Express has been an important part of Remington’s offering to the sporting market. It was designed to meet a price point in the commercial market while still providing classic 870 functionality.
    All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic differences.
    It is also important to note that many manufacturers use the 870 Express platform for their Police / Combat models. Without exception, every manufacturer who utilizes our 870 platform serves to upgrade their system to a more efficient, street worthy platform.

While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police.
    To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance. Synopses of the variances are provided below.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.

• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.

• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

Here's more info on the differences:
    Differences between the Express, Wingmaster, and Police

The Express is Remington's "budget" gun, made to compete with the cheaper to make Winchester and Mossberg guns.

How Remington lowered the price was to reduce hand labor to a bare minimum, and to eliminate much of the polishing and de-burring the better quality Wingmaster and Police guns get.

The Express is basically the same forged and milled steel receiver and heavy-duty internals gun the better 870's are, just in a rougher, less well finished form with plastic and MIM parts.

The Express Model has:
    A plastic trigger group.
    The dimples in the mag tube and the new style plastic magazine retention system, EXCEPT on the extended magazine version, which does NOT have the dimples.
    A rougher finish inside and outside, with machine marks and some burrs left.
    A rougher, bead blasted blue job.
    A less polished bore.
    A two piece barrel. (not 100% sure about this)
    Hardwood or synthetic stock, with a sporting-length fore end and pressed-in checkering.
    The Defense version has 18", Cylinder bore barrel, with a bead sight.
    Some Metal Injection Molded (MIM) parts, like the extractor.
    Has the locking safety button, although Remington MAY have discontinued it.

The Wingmaster has:
    An aluminum trigger group.
    The old style magazine retention system.
    A much smoother finish inside and out, no machine marks or burrs.
    The Wingmaster gun receives a higher level of inspection and finishing.
    A fine, commercial polished blue finish.
    A polished bore.
    A one piece barrel.
    Walnut stocks with the famous "Bowling Pin" finish in gloss or satin. and better checkering.
    Wide choices in barrel lengths and choke options.
    No use of MIM parts, the extractor is milled.
    The Wingmaster is the full top-of-the-line commercial Remington pump gun, and is priced accordingly.

The 870 Police has:
    An aluminum trigger group.
    The old style magazine retention system.
    A much smoother finish inside and out, no machine marks or burrs.
    The Police gun receives a higher level of inspection and finishing.
    A military-grade parkerized finish.
    A polished bore.
    A one piece barrel.
    Walnut or synthetic stock, with a short police-length fore end.
    The Remington “R3” super recoil pad that reduced felt recoil by 30%.
    Choices in different stocks, including Speed-feed, and others.
    18" to 20" improved cylinder barrel, with a wide choice in sights, including rifle, ghost ring, and luminous.
    Heavy-duty magazine spring.
    Heavy-duty trigger-sear spring.
    Sling swivel mounts.
    No use of MIM parts, the extractor is milled.

The Express is a "bottom of the line" budget gun, the Wingmaster is a "top of the line" sporting gun, the Police is the top-of-the-line in defense guns.
    The 870's are generally considered to be the finest quality pump gun made.

Products Discussed in

To Top