1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I NEED BRAKE ROTORS THAT...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by A7XTaco, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Oct 29, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Ok, see, this is an entirely new ballgame now. I didnt realize that these were not the original rotors. That makes sense. You can buy shit aftermarket rotors for like $20 from shucks or something. Thats makes sense now. Go either OEM or powerslots are good rotors.

2. Oct 29, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    What about slotted and drilled rotors !!! I bought those for my camry the oem's warped .. To much going up and down the tejon pass .. That's what I'm getting when I need to do my brakes

3. Oct 29, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    inouk

inouk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maybe your calipers' pistons are stuck ?? I would check it first to see if it's moving freely.

4. Oct 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    zzchipster

zzchipster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco 4x4 trd lwb trd sc
    trd s/c and exhaust, 5100's,bud builts
    go to the stealership and replace with what come on it...i try to always use orig equip parts ...i have always replaced pads with oem ones....the cheap parts arent cheap parts if u gotta replace them...the original brakes are pretty good...i pull several trailers with a brake controller and always get it stopped asap...

5. Oct 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...

No sir, I was in no way saying you were full of shit, mostly just trying to dodge it from all angles.

I know I'm new on here, so I expect to get all kinds of responses. I may also be young(24), but I'm not I complete idiot when it comes vehicles and mechanics. I started driving on gravel roads at 12, and have been turning a wrench just as long. I went to aviation maintenance school also.
    I'm by no means claiming to be a master mechanic, just saying I'm not oblivious. I am also not afraid to admit I'm not the most knowledgeable on brake. Yes I have done my share of brake jobs, but I have never had brake rotor problems on any of the 6 previous vehicles I have owned. That's why I came here, just looking for some advice on some higher quality brake.

My job now is a little tough on vehicles. In Microwave Telecom I spend 1000 miles on the highway, just immediately go off road, sometime on rough trails up and down 2000+ ft mountains, but I take care of my truck. I'm still trying to get it back into shape from the previous owner.

Talking about being tough on brakes, I took a friends 01 Z28 on a track one time.100mph on the straight away and 30 in turns with stock brakes. Now that got the brakes hot... and no, they didn't warp :D

Looks like you guys have given me some good ideas though, I thank all of you very much.

Now if I'm going to make it home, I gotta quit pulling over and typing on tacoma world... you know what they say, "tacoma world, its a trap!"

Harrisburg PA, next stop, Plano Tx.

Again, thanks everyone.

6. Oct 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Easy- Slots= More surface area. That surface area isn't contacted by brake pad so it does not generate heat. At the same time heat does conduct thru the metal and that concave slot has more surface area than a flat spot...giving better heat dissipation.

Slotted- Yes...Drilled-No thanks. They crack to easy, specially when you are offroad driving in mud/water. They might work well for road cars...but I would be hesitant to use them on a truck

7. Oct 30, 2010 at 5:42 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    If your looking for a good drilled rotor--Zimmerman is probably one of the best and the steel is top quality but like everything else they can crack in extreme circumstances....I like solid slotted rotors because no worry about cracks from any drilled hole to any drilled hole. One thing to be sure of though....DON'T GO CHEAP ON YOUR BRAKES!!! When you want to stop you usually have a damm good reason and that is not the time to wonder if the lower bidders equipment is going to work.....By the way ceramic pads are nice and I really really like them but they will not stop you as quick as the oem or equivalent pad...akebono is my favorite but again if you need to stop I wouldn't go with a ceramic bad...tirerack is best place to look and maybe buy. You can compare on their website very easily...

8. Oct 30, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    tonto340

tonto340 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gambrills, MD
    I bought slotted and dimpled rotors from brakeperformance.com to put on my Acura TL Type S. I have had not problems after 16k miles. Rotors have a lifetime warranty against warping.

9. Oct 30, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    I warped the stockers after about 70K miles

But I have been stopping from 100+ mph at the track several times

I bought the powerslot slotted rotors cyrotreated. The cryo makes them something like 30% stronger. That will help stop the warping from happening. I love mine so far;)

10. Oct 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    WABOOM

WABOOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota yeah sure ya betcha
    Vehicle:
    2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
    debadged
    don't get the drilled ones, they will eventually cause uneven wear and make grooves

11. Oct 30, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Won't slotted cause the pads to wear faster? I understand the heat dissipation aspect but won't the grooves/slots catch more on the pads causing more wear?

12. Oct 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Nope the way the rotor is machined and the direction it is turning prevents that.....(this is of course a very very simple answer coming from a very very simple Taco owner---but it's the shortest one I could think of and the easiest to understand)

13. Oct 30, 2010 at 4:06 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    I appreciate the quick response :D Is there a certain pad to use like Hawk ceramics? I had powerslots before on my old s10 Blazer with some ceramic police pads and the wore really fast. Would like to avoid this again when I do get rotors. Sorry for the :threadjacked:

14. Oct 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    Hawk Ceramic is a dustless pad (I think that is what you call it) and is a good pad but will not stop you as quick as the standard pad. (Somebody help me out here) I think standard pads are steel---(Damm can't remember the proper name...guess it's cause I'm old) but you can find a number of good quality pads that are not ceramic...Hawk, Akebono. Go this web site and shop...lots of good info on it and you can check boxes to compare....I'm not advertising for them but they seem to have the best price.... www.tirerack.com You may also need new brake lines but stainless steel seems to be the best. Again tire rack has suggestions you can order from....

15. Oct 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Lol just got some Hawl LTS from there!

16. Oct 30, 2010 at 11:04 PM
    drcollie

drcollie Active Member

Member:
    I'll share a little brake info, because there's lots of mis-information going around. I learned about brakes on race cars, BMW's and Porsches, and have 15 years of track time under my belt. A couple things to consider:

1) For the vast majority of 'warped rotors' they're not really warped at all, if you run them out and mic them they are usually in spec. What happens is the brake pad compound can fuse to the rotor and create high spots, and that causes pulsations. Solution? Either put the rotors on a brake lathe and turn them, or replace them.

2) Slotted rotors are for the race track, and cause pads to wear faster. You will NEVER get a Tacoma run on the street hot enough to need them. You may like the way they look, but you don't need them and they're not nearly as effective at keeping things cool as a floating rotor design, which is what we run on the race cars. A floating rotor is not sexy looking, but its a 2-piece rotor with a riveted 'hat' that keeps the temps down by allowing the contact surface to expand while the 'hat' stays cooler. Again, you never need it on a street vehicle. And stay away from drilled rotors . Drilling compromises the rotor and they WILL crack. Only if the holes are cast in the rotor during production, such as Porsche does with their rotors, will they not crack.

3) Don't buy high performance track pads for a street vehicle. They won't get up to temperature in street driving and therefore will stop poorly, they rattle, squeal (caused by high speed vibration of the pad in the caliper bracket) and throw off gobs of hot brake dust, some of which can damage your paint job as they have metallic bits in them that will fuse to the topcoat.

4) Stainless steel brake lines are great on a race car that has high heat, but just bling on a pickup truck.

5) If anyone is concerned about heat in their brakes, the # 1 thing you can do to prevent brake failure is regular changes of your brake fluid, which loses temp ratings as it ages. It absorbs moisture, which lowers the max temp rating, and in race care its changed monthly, or sooner.

Realistically, just get a new set of brake pads for the street, Toyota OEM is all you need, and a new set of OEM rotors or have the ones on the truck turned. You don't need more than that.

One other thing to note, is a pulsating feel in the steering can also be caused by a defective tire, or worn tire rod bushings. Its not always the rotors.

Good luck,
    Duane

17. Oct 30, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Awesome info.

18. Oct 31, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA

Thanks I just got alot smarter....

19. Oct 31, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Agree with 1 and 3. Agree with the no drilled rotors.
    Don't agree that slotted rotors are a waste. And I don't agree that OEM is the best option. There are intermediates- You don't need to get high performance track pads, but a low dust upgrade pad is a good call.
    Also don't agree that SS lines are "just bling" on non track vehicles. My stopping distances shortened and my braking feeling changed dramatically. (And that was after a fluid flush and bleed with the stock lines then the SS lines).
    Totally agree with #5...It also forces you to bleed them regularly.

On that note- I got the Motive Power Bleeder to try out with when I swap my Scion brakes in the next month or so...

20. Oct 31, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Please report back on your experience with the Motive Power Bleeder. It seems like some of us are having trouble bleeding after SS lines are installed. I don't understand why this should make any difference. Any insight ? Curious George

Products Discussed in

To Top