1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need NON biased opinions (Tacoma OR Jeep)

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Xewkija631, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Apr 12, 2015 at 12:55 PM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6
    Jeep???????? We don't want no stinkin Jeep

2. Apr 12, 2015 at 1:10 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    If you want a capable SUV look into the 4Runner Trail edition. It is more comparable to the jeep.

3. Apr 12, 2015 at 1:24 PM
    Cmurder

Cmurder 2011 TX TRD Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    This is a better idea. I love the 4Runner.

4. Apr 12, 2015 at 1:30 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The 3.6L Pentastar came in 2012 if I remember correctly. The exhaust headers are cast into the engine block; they shouldn't leak. The previous 3.8L minivan V6 is crap, though.

Wiring problems can be expected, esp considering all the exposed wiring going to the doors to feed power windows, locks and mirrors.

I own a Tacoma, but I rent Wranglers whenever I travel anywhere with off-roading opportunity. Two things make the Wrangler a worse daily driver for me:

The solid front axle necessitates a recirculating-ball steering box (as opposed to the Taco's rack-and-pinion). By design this results in 2" of free play in the steering wheel.

The Wrangler's seating position and pedal arrangement is less car-like than the Taco. I have to overextend my leg to reach the gas pedal. This hurts my knee.

Ride quality in the JK Wrangler is good. Compared to the previous TJ, the JK's suspension can be considered long-travel. And it has coil springs in the rear instead of leafs.

Be sure to get a Moab edition (rear locker) or Rubicon (two lockers, 4:1 crawl box). The lower trim levels with open diffs get stuck in sand fairly easily.

5. Apr 12, 2015 at 1:35 PM
    Wile

Wile Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    Straight off the lot, dollar for dollar, jeep is a more capable off road vehicle, period. Not to say tacomas dont excel off-road, but a jeep (not a Grand Cherokee, a real jeep) has better stock ground clearance, approach and departure angles. In a reliability contest, Toyota is in a class far above Jeep. Toyota has had issues of its own (rusted frames, etc), but for past several decades Mopar products are plagued with issues which have earned them a reputation that drove there sales figures so low that they need to be saved from bankruptcy by a gov't bailout.

Unless you are planning to wheel hard a stock vehicle, get a taco.

6. Apr 12, 2015 at 3:32 PM
    Xewkija631

Xewkija631 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    LI,NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK DC TRD OFF ROAD
    Thanks everyone for all of your input! I spent the day checking out Jeeps and decided to go see the TRD pros.. however, my dealership told me they aren't making any TRD pros anymore.. is this at all true?

And for the hell of it, I checked out the Ford f150 lariat FX4 (can't compare to tacoma) but I'm in love with that rig!

7. Apr 12, 2015 at 3:40 PM
    slodc4

slodc4 Conceal Carry

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Winterville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Locked 17 trd sport
    my brother in law had a 99 Cherokee 100k miles, transmission went out, ac went out, and the engine developed a knock

my sister has an 07 commander with 100k miles on it, around 60k the exhaust manifold bolts broke off, need a new alternator, new rear shocks, and has already had to replace the front tire rod ends and lower/upper control arm bushings and also had to replace some kinda box that was in the transmission

my girl had a 08 Cherokee and i had to put transmission fluid in it every couple weeks, it burned oil bad and also leaked at the oil pan, it also developed a knock, 2 calipers seized and had to be replaced, radiator devolved a leak

one of my employees has a newer Cherokee, prob a 2013...when she cranks it it sounds like the engine is going to come out haha

so i try to stay away from jeeps

8. Apr 12, 2015 at 3:41 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I think this is excellent advice. Jeeps hold their value pretty well but just aren't as dependable long term (or even short term I guess) but I definitely see their draw. If you are the guy that buys a new rig every few years buy a jeep and enjoy it while it's under warranty.

9. Apr 12, 2015 at 3:42 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    For the rigs you're looking at go drive some 3 yr old lease returns to see how they hold up and handle 3 yrs later. I think you may fall out of love with that Ford.

10. Apr 12, 2015 at 3:45 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    Yep. Ford is good stuff. I would drive one.

11. Apr 12, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD

I wouldn't kick one out of the sack. I'm interested in how the aluminum body holds up in crashes. It's probably just as tough as todays wannabe steel. Insurance companies are on hold as to changing rates for lack of data. Allegedly the costs are close in production from steel to aluminum, but it's costlier to repair, and not all shops can repair it.

12. Apr 12, 2015 at 4:26 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    If you need a truck, the Tacoma is hard to beat. If you need a Jeep, the Tacoma doesn't make a very good Jeep. My decision was made 'cause I don't need a truck, but rather an SUV that went off road very well, with minimal work. As for the gearing issue mentioned on the first page, Bingo. The JK Sport, X, and Sahara come with 3.21 gears. You can get them with 3.73's for 100 bucks more, or some shit, which makes them better, but the ideal gearing is 4.10's.

13. Apr 12, 2015 at 4:51 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Jeeps are money pits.

I follow a local group on FB and it might as well be a Jeep club because they all just assume everyone on there has a Jeep. Point is they all agree though that they are money pits. I can't say this from personal experience though.

I liked and kinda considered a Wrangler when I got my Tacoma but I need a truck as a homeowner plus if you're not wanting it for hardcore off-roading and as you said lots of hwy driving I'd be inclined to stay away. Just seems to me that Jeeps are more for the fun factore and/or serious off-roading.

$.02

14. Apr 12, 2015 at 4:59 PM
    Longboard1110

Longboard1110 ...................

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    A few things
    I used to have a jeep yj, but sold it years ago. I rented a newer jeep last year in Hawaii and it was not what jeeps have always been. It was junk. To me the Tacoma is a much better option now unless you want a mini van with a removable top.

15. Apr 12, 2015 at 5:07 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Suspect it will be just fine. Crumple zones have been the basis of safety (as opposed to pure strength) since the 80's.

I can understand. Kinda. But they never wanna lose a nickel either, so I don't take this as a significant sign one way or the other..........

If it's bolt on stuff, it really shouldn't be an issue, if, as you suggest, parts are around the same. However, if it's massaging the metal, labor 'may' be higher. Or not. Depends on if the techs a shop has are skilled in that, or if they have to sub it out. It does take more of an artisan to work with it, but once they learn how, it's not really too much more time consuming.

Right. See above. The skill level will have to rise in the metal repair end.

16. Apr 12, 2015 at 5:14 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've owned about 3 jeeps. Two trail rigs (92 & 94) wrangler and 99 grand Cherokee. I can't compare the 'newer' jeeps to the older ones that I had....

I loved the Wranglers -as trail rigs-had a lot of fun off-roading in them. To be completely honest... I never had a lick of problems with the tranny (aX5) or 4.0L inline 6. We got rid of the Dana 30 & 35. They were great NON daily driver fun toys.

The 99 Grand Cherokee...as a daily driver?.... Do you have some time? lol
    First off... The resale value plummets in half in less than 3 years. We bought it in 01 (as a buyer, you can't complain). The grand Cherokees had brake issues constantly -the rotors would warp prematurely. We bought the TSB brake calipers and they still warped ( just took slightly longer). Throttle position sensor went bad. The a/c never worked right and it had blend door (climate control) issues. Sold it to my mother in law.... ( it was 7 years old). When she had it... Replaced leaking radiator, 3 failed door lock mechanisms, 4 window motors, blown shocks, had blend door issue fixed, a/C repaired.... and then we got rid of it.

So.... I'd personally never buy a jeep as a daily driver!

17. Apr 20, 2015 at 1:16 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Keep the truck man. I'm not being biased either, I've had Jeeps and for daily driving, especially a lot of highway driving they are terrible for. They handle poorly, choppy ride, loud inside from outside wind, etc. They shine on the trail and back country roads and that's about it. They can't come close to a Tacoma in the reliability department either. I daily drove a 1980 CJ5 for nearly 10 years and I'd never do it again.

You should seriously consider an FJ Cruiser or 4Runner if you are looking for a reliable, street friendly, yet capable 4wd SUV.

Products Discussed in

To Top